Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 31-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Help ford build the new GTHO

OK, Every time i see someone from ford talk about a new GTHO they always say things like "We have to get this right" " we need to live up to the legend" " The expense of engenering this needs to be accounted for" bla bla bla.

Well i though we could give them a hand. There is probably enough experience in the aftermarket world to spec up every little bit of a new GTHO which should save ford a heap of money (which we know they love - they might save enough to put lights in gloveboxes ;)

I figure we could throw some costings in there to make the bean counters happy and see what we come up with. I sugest rrp as ford could do it heaps cheaper but that would be their margin.

I figure it has to be true to the original - ie. over the top. Also I am as far from an expert as you can get so feel free to correct everything

Car to start with
*FG GT $69000

engine
*Enhanced Ford gt Crate motor such as:
http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/..._engines.shtml
SHELBY GT500 CRATE ENGINES
800HP ON PUMP GAS - TURN KEY!
SHM developed the first Shelby GT500 Turn-Key engine crate package, designed for easy installation, no programming skills required. Superior modern DOHC powertrain solution for Resto-mods and street rod applications.

· 3 wire hookup
· Dyno Tested
· Includes fuel system electronics, engine mounts, intercooler, alternator, power steering, a/c
· Full emissions

800HP/560kw / 700TQ( ft·lbf ) 950nm................................$37,000

gearbox

either strengthened t6060 or go to a sequential
$10,000

axle

?

dif

I think something custom as from what I see they would have a hard time geting even a strengthened one to last a 20,000k waranty
$10,000

suspension rear

?

suspension front

? but will need a modified (or from teritory) knuckle

brakes

Ceramic?

Wheels Tyres

F/ 295/30/18 (will need to change the front suspension - teritory might provide clearance)
R/ 345/30/19 I figure the guards will need to be pumped/expanded front and back
$12000 including pumped/extended guards and other adjustments to fit this set up

interior

Total Cost running total $136000

i think it could be done for $150k (with that sort of power it is heaps better value than w427) And you try telling me every man and his dog wouldnt kill their own mother to own a 550kw GTHO even at $150k

Old 31-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

so the price you've come to is basically adding the prices together in an aftermarket sense??

So you can pretty much triple that when you consider the volumes involved and the work required for Ford/FPV to get those components validated/modified/tested and on the road in a way that conforms to all their standards.

If your expectation is this for a GTHO, then rip it up and move on.

Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the reality.
Old 31-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
Paddyboy

It will never happen.......
550kw GT? Ford dont make supercars, they make GT's for the common man.
If they ever bring out a GTHO (which I highly doubt) but if they do it would more likely be around 350-375kw max and cost around $100,000.

Its just not realistic FPV bringing out a car with all the gear you just mentioned.

But the car you have suggested does sound brilliant though, but as a custom, not a production car.
Old 31-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
so the price you've come to is basically adding the prices together in an aftermarket sense??

So you can pretty much triple that when you consider the volumes involved and the work required for Ford/FPV to get those components validated/modified/tested and on the road in a way that conforms to all their standards.

If your expectation is this for a GTHO, then rip it up and move on.

Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the reality.
Bingo..

Old 31-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyboy
It will never happen.......
550kw GT? Ford dont make supercars, they make GT's for the common man.
If they ever bring out a GTHO (which I highly doubt) but if they do it would more likely be around 350-375kw max and cost around $100,000.

Its just not realistic FPV bringing out a car with all the gear you just mentioned.

But the car you have suggested does sound brilliant though, but as a custom, not a production car.

Your right, I think by the time it gets here 350-375 kw is what it will need and thats acheivable without been overdone IMHO and will mean it wont be 150k + like the 427 which will mean it will be more succesfull. Ive always wanted the name HO to be revived but to be honest the way kw move up your GT Clubby will be at 350-375 kw within 10 years so i think the ledgend is best as history and perhaps call this one GTHP (an evolution of HO for todays times) that way HO is still HO and nothing mucks with the name and GTHP simply = GT High Performance; a higher performance GT.
Old 31-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

I'm all for bringing the name back and I think we are close to the 'optimal' timing of its revival.
Old 31-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMHO it needs to be built like the 427 Monaro - basicly a street/track car without all the bells and whistles.. I think everyone would agree that it's not meant to be a luxury car - its supposed to be a monster machine - Maybe even taking back that Fastest Sedan in the world category
Old 31-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
IMHO it needs to be built like the 427 Monaro - basicly a street/track car without all the bells and whistles.. I think everyone would agree that it's not meant to be a luxury car - its supposed to be a monster machine - Maybe even taking back that Fastest Sedan in the world category

Define luxury and then define what was removed from the HO.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 31-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Stripped of as much superfluous crap as possible, sound deadening and whatever other crap they can throw out to get the fat barge down to a fighting weight. That will do lots more for the car as a package than strapping on a blower. Don't make it a hotter version of the luxobarge GTE, make it lighter, angrier, nastier. If they can't do that then they shouldn't bother.
Old 31-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Define luxury and then define what was removed from the HO.
What i mean is the hypothetical new GT-HO shouldn't have dualzone climate control, GPS, a heavy fancy leather interior, woodgrain or little bits and pieces.

It should be tight body hugging seats (If you've seen an RS6's seats thats what i mean) A more basic dashboard, instead of a shoddy premium sound system just keep it at a basic ICC or a nice headdeck and underneath it fit up guages for Oil, temp, volts or whatever. instead of the speakers+sub arrangement just have 4 speakers but maybe spend a little more then $20 for a pair of speakers? (cmon Ford the speakers aren't too much to ask are they?)

V8 SC wheels would look great also (but 5 stud - not the single locknut for legality and practicality)

When you sit in it you should feel that the car is a beast within. You should be able to feel the adrenaline flowing before you've even flicked the ignition..
Old 31-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
What i mean is the hypothetical new GT-HO shouldn't have dualzone climate control, GPS, a heavy fancy leather interior, woodgrain or little bits and pieces.

I know what you mean. What I want to know is what items of similar spirit, back in the day, were omitted from the HO over the donor car on which it was based.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 31-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
500SEC

The only way they will get it right (in producing a GTHO) is if they produce a car that can beat the Mitsu Evos and Subaru Imprezas at Bathurst this coming February 14th.

Until they do that, the GTHO name should remain on the shelf.

Anything else will represent marketing dept mumbo jumbo and trading on past glories.
Old 31-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #13
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Old 31-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #14
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500SEC
The only way they will get it right (in producing a GTHO) is if they produce a car that can beat the Mitsu Evos and Subaru Imprezas at Bathurst this coming February 14th.

Until they do that, the GTHO name should remain on the shelf.

Anything else will represent marketing dept mumbo jumbo and trading on past glories.
I'm think along the same lines....
Old 31-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

It'll never happen this way but we will play devils advocate here for a second.

A few simple rules:-

1) any parts used must be readily available from either Ford, FPV or the US gear.

2) No aftermarket stuff as it would be impossible to add in warranty on these parts.

3) Whatever parts used must be warranted for the standard 3 years 100,000kms and also be available for minimum 10yrs as per australian law.

4) Total vehicle Cost must be under $150k

5) Must be insurable - remember this when thinking about blowers etc

6) Must satisfy both GT purists and suits who will only buy one 'cos it looks good'

7) Must satisfy everybody's expectations in performance and appointments (good luck with this one)

8) Must be profitable (again good luck with this one)

9) Must meet ADR's

10) Must not attract too much 'attention' (supercar scare anyone?)

There are more but let's see how far this gets you - best of luck. You will need it.
Old 31-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #16
ORSM-XT
ORSM Ford Cruiser

it needs 20" Simmons!
Old 31-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #17
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
I know what you mean. What I want to know is what items of similar spirit, back in the day, were omitted from the HO over the donor car on which it was based.
In those days if you took the cigarette lighter out, half of the luxury items would be gone. LOL You can't compare today's cars with the austere nature of late '60's, early 70's.

I doubt Ford could ever recapture the respect the HO had across the board. It was the result of several years racing pedigree. There just isn't the following/venues for that class of competition anymore. We have Iphones, the net, foxtel, etc to entertain us these days.

Making a new model could do more harm than good, because if it fails to inspire it will dilute the myths that have grown around the P3.
Old 31-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #18
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
In those days if you took the cigarette lighter out, half of the luxury items would be gone. LOL You can't compare today's cars with the austere nature of late '60's, early 70's.

Yes you can.

We have half the people going on about being true to the legend and not many seem to realise exactly what that means.

Did Ford remove the radio or the aircon unit to save weight? Did Ford make any attempt what so ever to reduce weight in a HO?

The items themselves are superfluous, the intention is not.
Old 31-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #19
ronnyBB
Channel 4 news team

Would be great if they could underestimate the power and get away with it like the original ho
Ford could put the emphasis on the great handling!
Old 31-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #20
PALE ALE

Please leave the GTHO name alone, it belongs in the muscle car era, not for today
Old 31-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #21
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Yes you can.

We have half the people going on about being true to the legend and not many seem to realise exactly what that means.

Did Ford remove the radio or the aircon unit to save weight? Did Ford make any attempt what so ever to reduce weight in a HO?

The items themselves are superfluous, the intention is not.
I'm assuming you are old enough to remember those years? It didn't matter if the air cond was installed, the radio worked, the instrument cluster had an amp meter. We all knew that the HO was an acronym for handling option, whatever that included. We knew that it had a fierce engine which the Oz factory had tweeked. We looked forward to the Bathurst comp against the Holdens.

Up close and personal it had a menace about it. The paintwork declared it was fair dinkum and not just a show pony. The chrome was just right, the curves (or lack of) were dated but masculine. The engine seemed to spit fire and brimstone. It fought back at you when driving; you had to keep a leash on it. It drank fuel at an alarming rate. Unkempt "real" men in rolled sleeve chequered flannel shirts, long pants and black desert boots were in symbiosis, that or cow cockies.
Old 31-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I'm assuming you are old enough to remember those years? It didn't matter if the air cond was installed, the radio worked, the instrument cluster had an amp meter. We all knew that the HO was an acronym for handling option, whatever that included. We knew that it had a fierce engine which the Oz factory had tweeked. We looked forward to the Bathurst comp against the Holdens.

Up close and personal it had a menace about it. The paintwork declared it was fair dinkum and not just a show pony. The chrome was just right, the curves (or lack of) were dated but masculine. The engine seemed to spit fire and brimstone. It fought back at you when driving; you had to keep a leash on it. It drank fuel at an alarming rate. Unkempt "real" men in rolled sleeve chequered flannel shirts, long pants and black desert boots were in symbiosis, that or cow cockies.
GT-HO's (like GT's) were fairmont spec, or top of the range, although you couldnt order power steer or air in a GT-HO...
GT-HO actually meant Homologation Option, that is an option ordered for homologation for racing... but some can't get their heads around that fact so they go with Handling Option......
It ONLY existed in limited numbers to meet CAMS qualification rules, without Bathurst the GT-HO had no purpose and would never have existed.

Old 31-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #23
ronnyBB
Channel 4 news team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE ALE
Please leave the GTHO name alone, it belongs in the muscle car era, not for today
But there will never be an XWGTHO or XYGTHO legend again only "the new one"
Old 31-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #24
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

If it were to happen ofcourse it does need to be a performer, but people get lost in the name GTHO thinking it was crazy faster in a straight line than the normal XY GT.
If i remember correctly most standing 1/4 mile in the GTHO were about 14.4 sec, and the GT getting 14.7-14.8 sec.

If they do feel the need to do it they need better weight distribution, all alloy high revving V8 (i would love the coyote in 5.8L guise) and ofcourse needs to handle the track, noticably better than the GT.
Old 31-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #25
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM-XT
it needs 20" Simmons!
And chrome krazmolical crakle pins for the carbon fibre drink holders.

As for this subject… :
Old 31-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #26
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
yes, next will be a thread asking for the VFACTS for August, about 1 day before they are released of course. Then it will be "Why doesn't Ford make an FG wagon?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrodBB
Would be great if they could underestimate the power and get away with it like the original ho
Ford could put the emphasis on the great handling!
Like what they do now with the F6 do you mean?
Old 31-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #27
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Now all we need is for 'Mr Informer' to rear his head and the topic will be complete.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 31-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Do they still have the 6.8L V10 that they use in the Ford F series? Or that they used to use as an option? Chuck that beast in there with a blower, manual transmission and keep the luxury features. If i was blowing $100K on a car, i'd want good quality leather and all the electronics to wipe my *** for me.
Old 31-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dear god not the V10 GTHO conspiracy again....

Old 31-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Dear god not the V10 GTHO conspiracy again....
I'm not saying thats true, just suggesting what to chuck in under the hood. Look at the Dodge Ram SRT-10, thats an awesome truck. 8.3L V10 from the Dodge Viper.
Closed Thread