Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up August USA Car Sales. Ford up 26%

August light vehicle sales in the US have to be good. The “clunkers” program produced almost 700,000 sales. The industry might as well enjoy it while its lasts. September and the rest of the year will be awful.

Edmunds predicts that the 1.17 million cars will be sold this month, which is up 18% from last month and down “only” 6% from last year. Drops of 30% have been closer to the norm in 2009.

The annual sales rate actually hit 19 million in late July. but is only half of that now, the car research company says.

Ford (F) sales are expected to be up a breathtaking 26% from August of last year. Ford continues a comeback which is both remarkable and improbable. There was one time last year when the company was considered much worse off than GM. Ford mortgaged itself to get enough cash to weather the recession and the extreme gamble appears to have worked. Ford’s stock is up almost 250% this year and trades near $8.

The government bailouts of GM and Chrysler are still off to a bad start. Edmunds say that Chrysler sales will be down 19% this month compared to a year ago. The figure will be worse for GM–25%

The “big three” Japanese companies will do relatively well. Sales for Toyota (TM) and Honda (HMC) will be off about 3% and down 15% at Nissan.

The unusual rise of Hyundai will continue as its sales are projected to move up 69%. The firm’s high-value, low-cost cars and its programs to pay for the vehicles of some customers who lose jobs have kept the Korean company on a sales trend that remains the envy of the industry.

This Labor Day will be a depressing one for the car companies this year. The effect of the “clunkers” program will be over and the industry will face four very hard months of what are likely to be extremely poor sales, even with new 2010 models coming out. Edmunds points out “Current purchase intent is down 50 percent from the Cash for Clunkers peak, and down 11 percent from the June average,” noted Senior Analyst David Tompkins, PhD. “Day by day, intent is slipping: Sunday activity was down 21% from Saturday, then Tuesday activity was down 16 percent from Monday.”

Put another way, without the government’s incentive, the domestic auto industry has not recovered at all.

Old 30-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

The original $1 billion for the C4C program was thought to last until November, and that would spell 4 months (1/3 year) of prosperous car sales. Instead it lasted 10 days.

Then another $2 billion was approved to go at it again. Why? I have no idea. Congress had decided that the number of sales from $1 billion in incentives would provide the economic boost that our auto industry needed. They got it faster than they were expecting, so shouldn't it have been over? I think so.

So, this new $2 billion extra was expected to last until Labor Day, September 7, (3 weeks instead of the 4 months the $1 billion was expected to last) and it only lasted until last Monday.

So now with so many cars being bought in such a short time, so much shorter than Congress could have EVER imagined, what do they expect to happen in the auto industry now?

It was feel good legislation. They got to feel good for almost 2 months, now its back to figuring out what REALLY needs to be done to create jobs and work. Thing is, the government cannot legislate a good economy. It just doesn't work that way.

Obama said passing the $760 billion stimulus package would keep the unemployment rate from reaching 8%. Only $200 billion of that has been doled out, with much of it not scheduled to go out for 3 or 4 years. How will that help now? And now the unemployment rate in the nation is approaching 10%. In the state I live in it is 11.7%, the highest since the recession of 1983.

No, I have no confidence.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
The original $1 billion for the C4C program was thought to last until November, and that would spell 4 months (1/3 year) of prosperous car sales. Instead it lasted 10 days.

No, I have no confidence.

Steve
Steve, your normally pretty upbeat. At least you still got those Ford shares at a $1.01 last November which are now nearly $8!!!!!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
August light vehicle sales in the US have to be good.

Ford (F) sales are expected to be up a breathtaking 26% from August of last year. Ford continues a comeback which is both remarkable and improbable. There was one time last year when the company was considered much worse off than GM. Ford mortgaged itself to get enough cash to weather the recession and the extreme gamble appears to have worked. Ford’s stock is up almost 250% this year and trades near $8.

The government bailouts of GM and Chrysler are still off to a bad start. Edmunds say that Chrysler sales will be down 19% this month compared to a year ago. The figure will be worse for GM–25%
Ford UP 26%,
GM DOWN 25%
Chrysler DOWN 19%
Toyota DOWN 3%

It's looking good in Ford land right now!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is excellent news! Imagine when the industry is going good!
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Go Ford! Go Ford! Go Ford! :
Old 30-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I remember a time when someone posted the thread about fords stock, and how anyone who purchased it should have bought at 1.01$. I'm betting anyone with stock is probably laughing, and those skeptics who thought ford might have gone under...ha! Goes to show who knew what to do when times where tough.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Steve, your normally pretty upbeat. At least you still got those Ford shares at a $1.01 last November which are now nearly $8!!!!!

What I am talking about is our government action, not Ford. I do fear Ford's sales will be negatively impacted over the next several months to year's end, but not as bad as the others. I think a lot of sales happened now that would have occured over the duration of the next several months, and now those won't be there as a sustained sales progression.

I most certainly hope I am wrong. The nice thing would be those that did not get in on the C4C deal are still motivated to buy a Ford because of what they saw and found in the dealerships; exciting products.

Next year we will be slammed by huge inflation. This will be a direct result of all the money that Obama has had, and is having, printed up. The US dollar will be greatly devalued, so plan on making some purchases in the US as the Aussie dollar gains on the US dollar next year.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post