Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default What to do to stop people cutting me off?!

Hi guys,

Over the past 2 days I've narrowly avoided 4 people who have decided that they wanted the piece of road that I have been occupying! For example this morning I was driving past a Police station and within 200 - 300m I had 2 people almost slam into me! One was a P plater and he didnt even look when he hit an interstection (at a give way sign) and oulled out... realised I was about 50m away (hard on the brakes) and slowed down. I though "bloody hell"! Then a few meters down the road an old dude pulls out of another T intersection and almost collect me (again Im hard on the brakes) he then pulls to the left and slows as if to stop (no indicator at any time). Then pulls hard back onto the road and trundles on...

What the HELL is going on with drivers these days!!!! Whats legal in NSW in terms of REALLY loud horns, or something to scare the crap out of the next idiot who wants to write my car off?!

Brooksy!!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be something your doing without knowing?

Otherwise sometimes you just have a run of bad luck - I know I thought my XR6T had a bullseye on it or something after a run of 3 near misses from people pulling out.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I highly doubt it, in all the scenarios Im under the speed limit, not changing lanes like idiotic P platers in Newy, not responding to all the egging on I get from anyone in a HSV. Just casually driving to work or lunch or whatever Im doing. Maybe I should drive around with my lights on?! White and blue checker striping maybe (kidding).

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 11-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Know the problem, I drive a venom red AUII XR8 - polished, stands out like a sore thumb on the road - people, unfortunately have a whole lot of other things on their minds other than driving - I've got to the stage of driving with lights on now.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Driving with your lights on is the only passive way you have get people to notice you're there.

Alternatively, buy an old chitheap and fit a nasty big bullbar on it then when you collect the next idiot who pulls out on you it'll hurt them ALOT more than it'll hurt you.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
burningwolf351

I had three sets of air horns on a xd I had years ago, used to scare the crap out of people.
Not legal in SA thou, don't know about NSW.
burningwolf351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

change careers and drive a police car.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

set your car on fire, then get in and drive.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
set your car on fire, then get in and drive.

HA HaHa thats gold
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
z80
Banned

You aren't one of these guys who sits right on the speed limit in the right lane are you?

The only people I ever see complaining about how other drivers abuse them are those who are oblivious to the obstruction they themselves are.

Golden rule...keep left...and noone will care what car you drive.

z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lights on is a good idea, i find though that honking can make it worse, specially with old people.

You honk and then they get flustered and forget what they are doing.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
lights on is a good idea, i find though that honking can make it worse, specially with old people.

You honk and then they get flustered and forget what they are doing.
That's funny because it actually happened to me. I was on the roundabout (meaning people have to give way to me, until I exit the roundabout). But an old man and woman (looked to be in their 80's) pulled onto the roundabout right in front of me, cutting me off, causing me to slam my brakes on hard and almost get to a complete stop. I then gave them a nice long horn, then they looked at my car and the old man driving it STOPPED!

I mean, he stopped in the middle of a busy roundabout, probably because he had no idea what was going on. I just drove slowly around him and went on my way. But later, I felt sort of bad that I gave him such a blaring horn to put him into such confusion.
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My thinking is, if you have enough time to beep your horn, you had enough time to avoid the situation so I don't beep my horn when someone does something wrong. There is no need and it can create more problems like others have stated.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
FORCED F6
VIC The Place to Boost

Well my mrz tells me I have anger problems when driving. I absolutely loose it sometimes only cos so they can bloody wake up and not drive like a bloody idiot... Sometimes (most of the time), drivers that are conscious and know that they shouldnt be doing something they do it anyways... This is what annoys me. But most of the time when drivers around me my car which is $ more than there piece of crap they intend to check out the car be polite... Ladies have always been kind to me, not sure if its the car or my l@@ks LoL
Old 11-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #15
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Coming down Main Nth here in Adelaide just outside Gawler 90km/h and had the traffic in the slip lane coming out. Did the right thing and pulled into the right lane to allow the cars to exit. Fortunately, paid extra fine attention to the car pulling out just ahead of me as he waited about 5 seconds and let his natural 'passing' urge take flight (why is it a human reaction to pass whether you need to or not??). So he proceeds to pull over into my lane around where my front quarter panel lives and got the horn. Only way I could warn him off quick enough. Spared by literal inches.

I learned a few things.
Headlights wont always save you in daytime
BA Mk1's have crap brakes
There isnt any point on dwelling on it, drive on and forget it happened.

I reckon he'll do a head check next time. Moral is you cant protect yourself from everything except by driving sensibly and attention, attention, attention to those around you. Trust no-one.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #16
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The sad fact is, in this world, there are a lot of bad drivers and very very few good ones. I leave myself plenty of time to get somewhere so I don't have to rush, and I just let the others cut, weave, speed and swerve all over the place around me. I do the speed limit and just worry about myself and try not to make mistakes while driving, being alert of the other traffic ect. If it all turns to p o o p then that's what the insurance is for.

Just try to be the best driver you can, and don't let the others get to you, as you will get worked up and start making errors yourself.

All the yelling and screaming won't change the habbits of a dumb *** driver.
Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #17
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Quote:
You aren't one of these guys who sits right on the speed limit in the right lane are you?

The only people I ever see complaining about how other drivers abuse them are those who are oblivious to the obstruction they themselves are.

Golden rule...keep left...and noone will care what car you drive.
No Im not a lane hogger! That peeves me off, but its less of a frustration than people cutting me off or those who almost collect me! Theres a good reason for the left lane, its for those people who travel 10 - 15kmh under the speed limit.

Quote:
I reckon he'll do a head check next time. Moral is you cant protect yourself from everything except by driving sensibly and attention, attention, attention to those around you. Trust no-one.
My Dad (who taught me how to drive) always used to say look 150 - 200m ahead (and always know what going on behind and to the side of you- to the point of knowing how many cars and and what colour and make they are) and observe everything that other cars do, and expect them to try and hit you.

But over the past few weeks (especially last week and this one) its like everyone is seriously looking to hit me! Or anyone else for that matter!

Considering to bomb of a car with massive bullbar...

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 11-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #18
Spitfire 6.2
V6 3L

Occasionally when I drive it seems as though im invisible and every idiot wants to pull out in front like im not even there, and then they do 10k under the speed limit. :togo:
I dont mind the pull outs when they accelerate to the speed limit and we can all get on with it.
Spitfire 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #19
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
My Dad (who taught me how to drive) always used to say look 150 - 200m ahead
So you have adopted all your Dad's bad habits then?

Try riding a motorbike - then you'll know what it feels like to have a target on your head.

Oo\===/oO

Last edited by Peuty; 11-08-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #20
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Yep every one. Especially how to hold a slide on dirt roads, and how to stop on mixed surfaces. How to bring a car that hits standing water back with minimal movement to the other side of the road. Not to mention the way you adjust your driving habits to suit the condition of the road your on and about to come to. Adapt to the drivers around you (as best you can)...

Yeah a few bad habits there.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 11-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #21
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Just one of those things cob, we will always have to look out for the lowest common denominator :(
Old 11-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #22
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Yeah its just bloody annoying. I know its been discussed over and over here, but I wish the governments of this country would make it harder to get and hold a licence. Or at the very least make it mandetory for people to do defensive driving courses or something like Finland where you have to pass the defensive driving course as part of getting your licence!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 11-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #23
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Dead right cob, gov't should subsidise driver education centers to make it more affordable everyone or make it part of the licenceing system
Old 11-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #24
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

I have a theory, the colour of your car is similar to the sky on an overcast day, so you seem like your camo'ed or seem further away when you give a quick glance.

Try driving a red car or a green car for a couple of weeks to see if this theory holds. The silver cars/ dark grey cars 'tend' to match the colour of the sky at different times of day. Just a thought!

Good luck.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #25
just_pazz
Ford Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocruzin
Dead right cob, gov't should subsidise driver education centers to make it more affordable everyone or make it part of the licenceing system

But that would mean the government taking meaningful action to lower the road toll.....

and we all know how serious they are about that.
just_pazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #26
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Quote:
I have a theory, the colour of your car is similar to the sky on an overcast day, so you seem like your camo'ed or seem further away when you give a quick glance.

Try driving a red car or a green car for a couple of weeks to see if this theory holds. The silver cars/ dark grey cars 'tend' to match the colour of the sky at different times of day. Just a thought!

Good luck.
Big thick Blue Cobra style Stripes then... Me likes!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 11-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #27
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
Big thick Blue Cobra style Stripes then... Me likes!
On silver would be something different but I say DOO it!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #28
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocruzin
gov't should subsidise driver education centers to make it more affordable everyone or make it part of the licenceing system
What? Is around $100 not affordable?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #29
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Mines 'the new white' also Lights on helps

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #30
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Only 4? Try driving in Sydney CBD - don't have enough fingers to count how many people tried to merge into the engine bay of my car just today!

Want to know how to avoid it? Don't drive... Otherwise just accept that it's going to happen, look for the signs that some bonehead is trying to remove your paintwork and do what's necessary to preserve your paintwork.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post