Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
GTP-03

Default FORD will never outshine Holden-no matter what they do?

Im 37 years old, I was a Holden fan, my 2nd car was an EJ Holden, my third car was a HQ Holden. I loved Holdens I thought they were the greatest cars on the road, I honestly didnt give a stuff about Fords when I was younger, that was until I started reading about GTs and GTHOs in Street machine magazines.
I was amazed how they outgunned Holdens in the late 60s and early 70s and I was geniunly suprised that Holdens werent as quick as Fords in there respective models, I was a little confused and slightly mad that the brand I so closely followed werent the greatest and fastest cars off there time, althought they looked good, they were slower than Fords, this was suprising news!
I started reading more and more about Fords, mainly on GT Falcons, I started
going to GT days and then when I saw the cover of a Street Machine magazine in the 1993, the title said "KING COUPE". The car was the most menacing, toughest, imposing,threatning BEAST ever to grace the cover of Street Machine magazine ever in my opinion, It was a black XA GT coupe with a great big twin 4 barreled carbed engine sticking out the bonnet, I was hooked on Fords now, in particular modified GTs!
I now owned a Ford,(4.9 xc Fairmont), which I spent a lot of time and money modifying, I loved this car, I thought it was such a leap forward from my HQ and it now had a 351, 9 inch, lowered, GT bonnet, pearl blue paint, and the list goes on.
There was a problem though, the car was great to me, but every time I went on a cruise, there would always be more Holdens than Fords in the cruises. People would comment buy a Holden, time and time again! My mates were all into Commodores and modified Kingswoods, Premiers and Monaros! There was something wrong!
That feeling reoccured time after time, when the AU came out I thought I was the only Ford fan in the state, especially when we were getting cained in the V8s month after month, thankfully Ambrose came along and saved the next few years along with the new BA model, but now I have all those bad feelings all over again with Lowndes and the whole 888 team moving to Holden.
No matter what GM and Holden do, they never loose support, where as Ford never seem to have any, how the hell does Ford survive? Why the hell am I such a big Ford fan? The cars that attracted to me te Ford were a limited build which were made 30-40 years ago?
Why do Holden have so much support? We know our Fords are a better product but everyone seems to think they are superior? WHY?
Are we dilusional as Ford fans? Should we just give in and join the majority of people and just become Holden fans? Why do Holden outshine Ford nearly everytime? Somebody please tell me!!!

Old 30-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Mr X
mustang pilot

Marketing........eg Brock,or "We're with you in the hard times" tv ads,or my grandad owned an FJ-simple as that.

Ford have a lot to learn re: marketing and their history is nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 30-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

clever marketing. thats all, nothing else.
Old 30-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
pks54
Ford Power To The People

Because we are football, meatpies, kangaroos and Holden cars..............
Old 30-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep GTP03, I'm a bit older but have a similar story. Grew up with Holdens, heard about this mighty legend called a GT, fastest 4 door production car in the world.
Brought an ex patrol car, an XC 351 in 1981, still got it and love driving it everyday.
Now days all you hear is HSV etc etc.
Ford have well and truly missed the boat capitalising on their great product.
Football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars, Hey Charger.
You can have any colour you want as long as it's black, Henry Ford.
Old 30-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
GTP-03

Ford AUS invented the ute!!!! WE made them here and shipped em overseas!! How many people know that fact?
Old 30-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
XAJKX
Pool Cleaner

20 years of Ford Australia Management Mistakes doesn't help.

Dropping the V8 engine in the 80s
Dropping sponsorship to the V8 series
The EA Falcon
The AU Falcon
Not giving people a product they can be proud to own for years and years.

Dont blame marketing altogether, the bad decisions are plenty and come from the top.

Ford only recently started getting it right thanks to Geoff Polites.
Old 30-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
XR8putts

It all goes in circles.

Ford is doing better than Holden financially; Holden can't afford a VF so will deliver a cheap VE2 update soon, which will be outdated as soon as it comes out, the money will dry up and the new GM will demand actions - they will cut V8SC spending and 888 will go mental when they lose their promised millions. You do know Holden havn't turned a proffit in years. Holden have lost market share and exports, Ford have gained market share and are looking very good. Holden will soon announce the cancellation of the new model line they announced only to take the shine of the noww canned Ford Focus line in Aus.

I look forward to resurecting this thread in a few years when Holden are in the crap and all the media-spin and advertising in the world can't save them.
Old 30-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-03
Im 37 years old, Why do Holden outshine Ford nearly everytime? Somebody please tell me!!!
?? at 37 you should be old enough to know you cant polish sheite
Old 30-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
GTP-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
?? at 37 you should be old enough to know you cant polish sheite
your car looks pretty shiny on the avatar though? hehe
Old 30-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I have never owned a holden, never will cant even remember ever driving one funny but I feel as you do no matter what I will always have a ford, mind you it has to be the right one not some euro, econo model it has to be a falcon cant explain it but thru thick and thin ford is best. Yes we are always out numbered at the pub even camry owners love holden. Why?
Holden are the best at spin and brainwashing but not the best product.
Holden marketing is amazing to sell some of the crap they make in the numbers they do must be a lot of bogans out there.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 30-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simple: a man named P.BROCK.. and the domination of the A9X/Early commodores in Group C... The blind holden faithfull are devout Holden/Brock fans or spin-offs....

Motorsport was relevant to young men in the 70's and 80's, it no longer is...

Old 30-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Simple: a man named P.BROCK.. and the domination of the A9X/Early commodores in Group C... The blind holden faithfull are devout Holden/Brock fans or spin-offs....

This doesnt explain the gen-y love affair with Holden. A lot of the younger guys probably dont even know who Brock was.
Old 30-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #14
GTP-03

I was watching at a Sandown race in 74 or 75 (its on youtube if you look hard enough)
The Moffat Fords were out in front, although Grice in a Torana caught the XB coupe in second position, the commentator even mentioned that the Ford was handling a lot better as the L34 was understeering and oversteering all over the track, but the beautifull Ford coupe was as flat as ice thru the turns, its such a nicer looking car too, but I guess they had factory support then. Ford race cars in the 70s were good handlers for there weight and size, they should of got more credit than they did, they were racing against pint size Holdens with massive engines and lighter weight!
Old 30-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
This doesnt explain the gen-y love affair with Holden. A lot of the younger guys probably dont even know who Brock was.
I dont believe that for a second.... Its hereditary....

Old 30-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #16
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Your probly right there , before i even new what holden and ford were i remember being at my gran's wacthing what i assumed to be bathurst and i was going for peter brock 05 . Thats all i remember it wasn't till my step sister meet this fella that had a xa gt and he took me for a spin . An i have been ford this ford that ever since .

i allthough it really bugs me that everything holden does allways gets praise an ford can do the exact same thing and get hung for it. Hell the very last survey i read was that holden owners were the least happy with there vehicle purchases but hey holdens go better.

One thing for ford though is these turbos of ours seem to have a bit of a cult like following . The street im working on at the moment there are 4 other houses being built just up the road and out of the 6 cars park out the front every morning of these building sites 3 are fg xr6t utes .
Old 30-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #17
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This could explain it

THE New South Wales Government has unilaterally declared the whole of Generation Y a "disadvantaged group" in an attempt to meet its own jobs targets.

The declaration, in a government circular headed "Designation of Youth as a disadvantage group", means that heads of public service departments can show favouritism towards job applicants aged under 25.

It is designed to help NSW Premier Nathan Rees fulfil a promise he made earlier this year to create 4000 new government apprenticeships and 2000 cadetships.

However, the boost in employment for the under-25s would appear to be largely cosmetic, since it will come at the expense of older workers.

"Youth, being defined as persons under the age of 25, has been designated as a disadvantaged group," the official circular begins.

"The inclusion of youth as a disadvantaged group is one of a number of strategies designed to increase their representation in the NSW public sector.

"In addition to this designation, the authority to recommend the appointment of persons belonging to the disadvantage group - youth - has been delegated to department heads to streamline the process of appointment."

News that it is a downtrodden minority will come as a surprise to Generation Y.

Among the advantages enjoyed since early childhood by members of Generation Y - usually defined as those born since 1985 - are the unstinting adoration of their baby boomer parents, an avalanche of prizes and trophies (for participation, rather than actually winning) and new technologies such as the internet and mobile phones.

"I'm slightly offended, to be honest," was the reaction of aspiring Sydney lawyer Jessica Krull, 24, to her newfound status as disadvantaged.

"There's enough jobs out there that people my age can go and get, if they're willing to go and look for work. People who find that they can't find employment might need to acquire more skills, or they're just not looking hard enough."

source - http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...37-462,00.html

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
Old 30-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #18
rocketscientist
AHHHH...WHAAATTTT

Quote:
Why do Holden outshine Ford nearly every time? Somebody please tell me!!!
Because...Holden is... AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE! OI! OI! OI! :rolleyes:

Last edited by rocketscientist; 30-07-2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Neaded an emoticon for emphasis
Old 30-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #19
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I dont believe that for a second.... Its hereditary....

hehe its so true.

Had mates that bought Camiras and Geminis purely on the basis of the Badge.

Then you see their old man and they're like "whats this ford doing on my driveway", when there is a $300 gemini in front of it...

Brainwashing starts young and for no apparent reason...

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
Old 30-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #20
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAJKX
20 years of Ford Australia Management Mistakes doesn't help.

The AU Falcon
Not giving people a product they can be proud to own for years and years.

Dont blame marketing altogether, the bad decisions are plenty and come from the top.

Ford only recently started getting it right thanks to Geoff Polites.
I do not think the AU was a mistake.
The AUII and III were quite reliable and solid.
I just came back from a tennis committee meeting. I drive a VTII, while a fellow member, 'Ian' drives an AU. I think the AU looks far, far better and fresher than the VT, and far more sleek. The VTII looks comparatively tired.

When I asked him 'how is he AU' a long time ago, he replied, 'it's the best car I've ever had. Never broken down, and drives beautifully'.

The initial styling was questionable, but I think the AUII and III looked fantastic, and to this day still look far, far more fresh than the VT, VTII or VX.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 30-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or could it possibly be that even here on AFF, the home of the true believer, Ford enthusiasts appear to be whiny, whingey, sad sack, glass is half empty, wusses.

FFS you all sound like poms on holiday.

Ford can do no right....... like GTHO, F6, Territory, XR6T, FPV GT etc etc.

Holden can do no wrong...... like 4 cyl commies, apollo, camira, sunbird, VK commies, epica, tigra, calibra.....

NO, the reason why Holden seems to shine is that their fans see all the good things whereas ours........well just read this thread.
Old 30-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #22
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Being Gen-Y.. looking for my first car in 2001, Commodores always seemed cheaper, but not only that, just coming from an average working class area the most we could afford as 18 year old kids were cars 10-20 years old. The Commodore's from 1980s were smaller compared to say, an XE/F, still able to carry 5 adults, rear wheel drive and 6/8 cylinder.

The natural progression would be updating to a Commodore from the mid-90s, and so on.

I think things will change now with laws put in place to stop P-Platers modifying V6s. I dare say a stock AU straight 6 falcon, would out gun a stock VT V6.
Old 30-07-2009, 11:59 PM   #23
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

repost (delete please)

Don't snap my undies.
Old 31-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #24
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
One thing for ford though is these turbos of ours seem to have a bit of a cult like following . The street im working on at the moment there are 4 other houses being built just up the road and out of the 6 cars park out the front every morning of these building sites 3 are fg xr6t utes .
Mate I think your are spot on here. Look at the following the Turbo Jap cars have had with the younger folk. There was also a cult following with the VL turbo as well.

I think the XR6 Turbo is the car to lure many of the younger guys back to Ford.

Sorry to say but I really think this crap about winning on the race track, converts to car sales with rubbish nowdays. It was true back in the 60's and 70's and I guess early 80's when there was a much smaller range of cars out there. Today with the different brands on the road, the average family looks at economy, comfort, etc over a growling V8.

Really the majority of V8 owners are guys around my age group mid - late 30's and older, older V8 commodores tend to be the Bogan car. Seems to me the younger guys are into Jap cars with turbos and this is where I think the XR6T has become a winner.

Just look how easy they are to get power from.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Old 31-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #25
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Or could it possibly be that even here on AFF, the home of the true believer, Ford enthusiasts appear to be whiny, whingey, sad sack, glass is half empty, wusses.

FFS you all sound like poms on holiday.

Ford can do no right....... like GTHO, F6, Territory, XR6T, FPV GT etc etc.

Holden can do no wrong...... like 4 cyl commies, apollo, camira, sunbird, VK commies, epica, tigra, calibra.....

NO, the reason why Holden seems to shine is that their fans see all the good things whereas ours........well just read this thread.

Man how can you forget the car they could only give away on Sale of the Century?

The Holden Piaza Turbo.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Old 31-07-2009, 12:05 AM   #26
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Im 37 years old, I was a Holden fan, my 2nd car was an EJ Holden, my third car was a HQ Holden. I loved Holdens I thought they were the greatest cars on the road, I honestly didnt give a stuff about Fords when I was younger, that was until I started reading about GTs and GTHOs in Street machine magazines.
I was amazed how they outgunned Holdens in the late 60s and early 70s and I was geniunly suprised that Holdens werent as quick as Fords in there respective models, I was a little confused and slightly mad that the brand I so closely followed werent the greatest and fastest cars off there time, althought they looked good, they were slower than Fords, this was suprising news!
I started reading more and more about Fords, mainly on GT Falcons, I started
going to GT days and then when I saw the cover of a Street Machine magazine in the 1993, the title said "KING COUPE". The car was the most menacing, toughest, imposing,threatning BEAST ever to grace the cover of Street Machine magazine ever in my opinion, It was a black XA GT coupe with a great big twin 4 barreled carbed engine sticking out the bonnet, I was hooked on Fords now, in particular modified GTs!
I now owned a Ford,(4.9 xc Fairmont), which I spent a lot of time and money modifying, I loved this car, I thought it was such a leap forward from my HQ and it now had a 351, 9 inch, lowered, GT bonnet, pearl blue paint, and the list goes on.
There was a problem though, the car was great to me, but every time I went on a cruise, there would always be more Holdens than Fords in the cruises. People would comment buy a Holden, time and time again! My mates were all into Commodores and modified Kingswoods, Premiers and Monaros! There was something wrong!
That feeling reoccured time after time, when the AU came out I thought I was the only Ford fan in the state, especially when we were getting cained in the V8s month after month, thankfully Ambrose came along and saved the next few years along with the new BA model, but now I have all those bad feelings all over again with Lowndes and the whole 888 team moving to Holden.
No matter what GM and Holden do, they never loose support, where as Ford never seem to have any, how the hell does Ford survive? Why the hell am I such a big Ford fan? The cars that attracted to me te Ford were a limited build which were made 30-40 years ago?
Why do Holden have so much support? We know our Fords are a better product but everyone seems to think they are superior? WHY?
Are we dilusional as Ford fans? Should we just give in and join the majority of people and just become Holden fans? Why do Holden outshine Ford nearly everytime? Somebody please tell me!!!
There's a change in the air...

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257601001B0CA9
Old 31-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #27
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

I'm 31, my first car was a VK Berlina 6cyl. I bought that car because of Street Commodores. Was never that in to Fords... if only I'd known what I do now.

I've had a V8 VK and all of my mates were in to Holdens too... my last Holden was a HSV VR Senator 215i. I can tell you now with quite a bit of certainty it will also be my last Holden. I wanted and always wanted a VL Turbo... great looks (for it's time) and when modified an absolute ball tearer or so Street Commodores had told me... what I really wanted as a teenager was street cred. The VL would've given me that at the time. It is now Fords time. I drive for a living and see so many modded late model Falcons and I smile everytime I see them. When I bought my first Holden I didn't even know what a GT was or what the GT name stood for, my Dad played golf and wasn't that in to cars, I will be teaching my son something different don't you worry about that.

My first Ford was a BA XR6 Turbo. I am now on to my second Ford a G6E Turbo. My Holden mates now drive turbo Fords and those that don't drive them now, want them. Just like if I'd had the money way back when I'd have been driving VL Turbo's.

Just wait for it. The BA turbo will be to Ford what the VL turbo was to Holden. Win on Sunday sell on Monday does still apply somewhat... I personally love cars but have little interest in motorsport. Don't much follow the V8SC or Formula 1 but I do still like cars, I like what people do to them and I like to modify them.

Just give it another couple of years and the BA turbo+ etc will create a new generation of Ford fans... as long as Ford keep producing cars of it's ilk. Or it will go down as a wasted opportunity just like it was to Ford in the early 70's in hindsight.

Don't throw it away Ford please.

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
Old 31-07-2009, 12:08 AM   #28
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its very much an Ozzie are Holden thing vs Ford are yankie thing...average joe will tell you this, imho.
Old 31-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #29
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapeworm
Its very much an Ozzie are Holden thing vs Ford are yankie thing...average joe will tell you this, imho.
It's quite interesting you mention that.
For the 'distant observer', many people believe that the Holden Commodore has always been an Australian car.

Once again, it's perception, and Holden through slick marketing have placed a cheap covering over people's eyes and convinced people that their cars are the only Australian offering out there.
Wearing a 2008 Geelong Football Club cap caused MANY people to comment on the Ford logo on the side of it, namely, "Why are you wearing a Ford cap? Holden is way better."
If I asked them why 'Holden is beter', the answer was something along hte lines of, "Holden is Australian".

It's about marketing and perception. I hope that that changes eventually and that people's perception can change to something that resembles reality...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 31-07-2009, 12:18 AM   #30

what gets me is holden dont even make a v8,if it wasn't for chev holden would be .
Closed Thread