Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Importing cars

Hey guys i was watching classic restos on channel 31 the other day and noticed a few blokes saying that they bought they're cars on us ebay and bought the over is it really as easy as they make it sound.

Also i was just thinking and wondering if i had a blank cheque and i bought a car over there then got say someone like troy trepanier to build it for me could i get it imported and then registered in australia.

its just that when they interview soe people they're like yeah i bought the car on us ebay then brought it into australia surely it can't be that simple.

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
loosey

The biggest thing is compliance, if you bought a car that needed work you'd have to restore it to standard, get it complied then you'll be able to goto town on it.
There would be guys on here that would have had a fair bit of experience importing American cars, I'm only experienced in Japanese imports.
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

I believe if you speak to an importer and have a slot waiting its not as bad but if you buy the car then decide you want it back the next day is different.

Apparently if you have all the planning done its not too bad but like anything government lots of forms.

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
500SEC

This is where you need to start reading.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...les/index.aspx

The age of the car makes a big difference to the compliance rules. Old cars are easy to import. New cars not easy.
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500SEC
The age of the car makes a big difference to the compliance rules. Old cars are easy to import. New cars not easy.
Wow I really thought it would have been the other way round. I'd have thought that the government wouldn't want too many old cars with old safety standards and high pollution outputs on our roads.
Old 14-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
Kryton

anyone have any info on motorcycles from the U.S?
i know i can have them landed for stuff all, but what do they need for compliance?
can you import a bike that is sold here, like a Harley for example?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Mr. CVE
If it aint Blown it Sucks

If you want I can help with the car stuff. pm me if you want.
I did buy my car like that and get it brought in, so do have first hand experience.
one thing you MUST do is ALL your homework up front. I did this and it all went seamless. if you don't you can have hickups along the way.
few simple rules, 30 years and over no import duty, pre 70 no compliance / engineers.
post 70 must comply to adrs of the year it was made, over 30 years old no right hand drive conversion required.
ALL cars must have export and import approval . ALL cars must pay GST when landed.
i have all the paperwork needed to know what has to be done.
and some tips to save some $$ along the way !
320 rwkw, 810 nm torque, 280rwkw @3000 rpm !! :thebirds:
Now for sale
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11296772

Thanks to Snort Performance, Headsex and CVE
Street car DeTomaso Pantera
Drag car 1995 Mustang, Haleys Comet ( It's back !)
Power by CVE
Melbourne's first SNIPER Tuner :
Now tuning E series
Mr. CVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm doesn't sound to bad at all then what if you wanted to have some work done on the car over there would that affect it over here after.

One example would be to put aftermarket chassis under an old chev or something would that affect the car when landed here.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
shpeedie
Starter Motor

i imported a car from Japan 6 years ago, gees there was alot of paperwork to go through! So much red tape and dealing with government is a nightmare, make sure you do ALL your homework and be prepared for a bumpy ride! But good luck
shpeedie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2009, 12:23 AM   #10
irpacaus

Yeah I want ot bring back a Aston db9 with me when I return home for the UK in a couple of years and personal imports can be tricky as well. Have to own it for a year etc .

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.
irpacaus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2009, 05:35 AM   #11
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I've known some Aussie friends that have had cars shipped there from here. If you have a Facebook account he would probably be willing to give you his experience on it. Actually, this bloke in particular shipped 2 cars at once, I think.

Then again they were both Aussie Falcons.

Hey! Buy up all our vintage muscle cars so that we don't have them here to enjoy, or for parts for our cars????!!!!

I've heard that argument from some Aussies talking about Yanks importing cars to the US from there so I thought I would play devil's advocate and throw it back.......as if I cared. :

Steve

P.S. Is it hard to ride a left hand drive motorcycle over there? :evil3:

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post