Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Which do you choose?
XR8 Sprint $56,000 68 51.13%
FPV GT $66,000 65 48.87%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The empire strikes back (another hypothetical)

I was talking recently with some ford enthusiests I know who are not members here about the F6E and the comment was made that FPV only released it because they saw how well the G6ET was selling.
This led to Ford vs FPV discussions on many fronts and the question "What if ford released an XR8 Sprint again like they did in the ED would it take GT sales?

I dont think it would because most GT buyers specifically want a GT. This has been the centre of heated debate before but maybe this is not the actual case. After all, I was quite surprised that about half the members here would rather drive a pretty car than a fast car.

So here is the hypothetical:

In reply the the release of the F6E, Ford release an XR8 Sprint. The Sprint has exactly the same engine, gearbox, suspension etc as a GT.
It has better brakes than the standard XR8 that are roughly equivelent to the basic FPV (not 6 spot) brakes but are no-name and look like the standard XR8 brakes. They both perform identically over the 400m and on the road.
The body kit, interior and everything else including options is exactly the same as an XR8 with the exception of a couple of "Sprint" badges.
It is priced comparatively with the G6ET, that is $10k dearer than a XR8 but $10k cheaper than a GT.

Which would you choose?

P.S. discounts and all other financial costs/advantages will be the same so please don't post "But I can get a new XYZ for 5 shillings threepence ha'penny from Cheap Fords'r'us".

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id say GT, but mainly for the badge.

Though it would be a very tough decision, as I prefer the looks of an XR8.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Phoar tough call.

I think it just depends on what you where after at the beginning. If someone wants a GT they will probably buy it regardless.

But if you where after a XR8, and the sprint was another $10 odd k (or whatever the difference is these days) then you would have a hard decision.

To buy a sprint you would want to be making the most of it IMO, for example some kind of track work etc; otherwise you would probably stick with the normal XR8.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe its a silly question. But what about styling and colour. A 10k difference for better brakes and badges.. wouldnt think so. Different colour range, a " Sprint " wheel package or a lightweight " racing " style wheel alternative to the XRs. And a bling package for the engine bay. That, and a limited edition number produced. It may be worth the extra 10k.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Gt for me. That namesake means more than "Sprint" IMO.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
Maybe its a silly question. But what about styling and colour. A 10k difference for better brakes and badges.. wouldnt think so. Different colour range, a " Sprint " wheel package or a lightweight " racing " style wheel alternative to the XRs. And a bling package for the engine bay. That, and a limited edition number produced. It may be worth the extra 10k.
You must of missed the engine part

Actually rims would have to be different, some nice BBS's etc would be good. But rims are a touchy subject with Ford/FPV..LOL
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same colours as XR8, same size and weight rims as XR8 but maybe different pattern. Possibly limited build.

Think like the BA Enforcer/DevilR crossed with a ED Sprint.
Old 18-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well the ED Sprint got:

GT Drivetrain
Better Brakes
Unique Rims
Different cloth to the XR8
Badges (w00t)
Limited Build
Cred! Thats what a new version would have to have, minimum.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #9
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

XR8 Sprint for me, the XR8 was the GT of the 90's when i was growing up so the GT badge to me isn't what it would have been to someone from the 60's & 70's.

If it scored the XR8 Engine & Brakes i wouldn't walk past it..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
pks54
Ford Power To The People

Originally I was going to vote for the GT just looking at the poll answers. This is before I read the criteria of them having the same engine and driveline package (And nearly everything else). Thus voted the XR8 sprint.
pks54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

Sprint. $10,000 cheaper, equal performance & a Ford badge not an FPV badge? No brainer.
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even without the goodies the Sprint would have to match the GT on performance I'd still have an FG XR8 over an FG GT....you don't need to offer any incentives champ
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
You must of missed the engine part

Actually rims would have to be different, some nice BBS's etc would be good. But rims are a touchy subject with Ford/FPV..LOL

Ahh, I see now. In that case.. yeah, its probably worth the extra 10k.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably just the GT - i dont see the point in 10k for badging and new brakes for a sprint

It would need suspension work, an exhaust and maybe an individual set on rims to make it interesting..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
XR8 Sprint for me, the XR8 was the GT of the 90's when i was growing up so the GT badge to me isn't what it would have been to someone from the 60's & 70's.

If it scored the XR8 Engine & Brakes i wouldn't walk past it..

I have to say the same the gt does not mean a whole lot to me expecially 10k . The important thing for me is the 8 but thats becoming a fight between passion and performance . So my money would be on the sprint as said before same performance 10k cheaper no brainer
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

This is a hard one, I would probably go for the GT, mainly for the more extravagant looks, and badge, the way I see it is that you can't drive too fast, so you may as well look stylish.

On a side note, I think some good additions to this poll could of been, a XR6 Turbo Sprint, basically a XR6 Turbo/ F6 version of Flappist's XR8 Sprint idea and/ or a G8E, basically a BOSS 290 equipped G series (which, engine asside would be identical to the G6ET)
Old 18-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #17
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It'd have to be the sprint.

But it depends how subtle the differences would be from the xr8 to justify it over the xr8 itself.

Purely i'd buy it for straightline performance value for money (compared to the GT), also would leave 10k for a brake upgrade or perhaps a set of rims (depending what sprint rims would look like).

But remember back in the day, the ED sprint was the top tier car in that model, i believe if ford ever wanted a hero car it should be named a sprint instead of GTHO too...*

* can of worms opened..

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #18
WASP
Whipple Induced

As a new purchase and being a keeper, the GT would be the no brainer IMO. I see the GT being the car a Ford enthusiast would want to go for and hold onto as long as possible. Many buyers of GT’s have been owners of GT’s in the past and while the Sprint is a possible alternative it would always remain the no frills cheaper cousin to many of these buyers who don’t really want to comprise if possible.

However as a purchase that you plan to sell in a few years time the Sprint would represent a great alternative. I can see the Sprint gaining a cult ‘underdog’ status with a broader demographic appeal to V8 lovers alike (not just Ford enthusiasts). It will be the GT with the ‘no BS’ badging, the stripeless bad *** BOSS. This Sprint model concept has great potential to be very popular at sale time and be in reach of a large range of younger buyers which should theoretically make it easier to sell and move more quickly. Anyone with a GT or any FPV will understand that despite being a beautiful & unique car they are slow to sell with a smaller enthusiast audience and remaining very much out of the reach of many younger buyers in terms of value as a used purchase. This is another reason why dealers often favour trading XR models than FPV’s as they have a better chance of moving them. The limited edition XR like the Devil R’s & the Craig Lowndes signature Utes are even better as they are not much more to buy used, yet still unique and possibly faster to move. This is where I see the Sprint fitting in.

I've sort of went through the same thing with the whole FG G6ET vs the XR6T. In the end we went for the optioned up XR as my company vehicle mainly because it's cheaper and potentially easier to sell due to its wider market appeal to both an older and younger demographic with a bit of established cult status thrown in for good measure. I change these over every 2-3 years so this was very important attribute to consider.

Colville

Last edited by WASP; 18-03-2009 at 05:13 PM.
WASP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #19
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think what Flappist is trying to confirm is how far ahead the Sprint would be over the GT given the results of the other hypothetical poll favouring pretty over ugly. Then combining that with the prior knowledge that opinion seems to suggest that the XR is a better looking ride than the GT and how wide that margin in favour of the XR would become if we then added another incentive in there (same mechanicals)
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #20
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sprint for the track days (manual - slightly lighter than GT)

Auto GT for wife and kids.

Resale wise- look at ebgt vs xr8 sprint.

GT wins resale.

I like to be different. I'd like the sprint
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #21
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GT for me, both vehicles would appeal to people with totally different mind sets and buying "tastes"..
Its supported by the fact that XR6T's outsell XR8's, but GT's outsell F6's....

Old 18-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #22
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Easy, the XR Sprint....

The XR Sprint will always be a "Genuine Ford"....

The FPV GT will only ever be a "Genuine FPV"....

It still remains to be seen how collectable the FPV range will be, but going on past performances of "most" car makes the "Genuine Factory" item wins hands down...

For me the GT ended with the XB, a "Genuine Ford" product....

Will FPVs ever become a classic....??

OK, Blinkers firmly in place and Flame suit on....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #23
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Probably just the GT - i dont see the point in 10k for badging and new brakes for a sprint

It would need suspension work, an exhaust and maybe an individual set on rims to make it interesting..

...........what about the engine and performance???? It would be the same as the GT, not the XR8 as was reiterated above. (Hypothetical of course)

I'd go the sprint......no brainer!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is amazing the number of people who do not actually READ a thread before posting their wisdom.

No turbo, the Sprint is historically a V8 and like the GT should never be anything else.

The basis of the poll/thread is that Ford have done this (XR8 Sprint) before and the current hypothetical is just a 15 year newer permutation.
The origin of the thread was a possible retaliation against the F6E so Ford would hardly make a new model that would probably canabalise its own G6ET market.

The Sprint would not be a "poor man's or entry level GT", it would not have the body kit, interior or upgrade options of the FPV range.

Another point to concider was that FTE made a higher performance V8 that was not much of a sales success. Was this due to the high price, maybe the lack of sales outlets, the badge possibly or something else?

On the other hand if marketing was easy they could just get idiots to do it......
Old 18-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #25
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Another point to concider was that FTE made a higher performance V8 that was not much of a sales success. Was this due to the high price, maybe the lack of sales outlets, the badge possibly or something else?

On the other hand if marketing was easy they could just get idiots to do it......
I would say bad marketing and under powered compared to the equivalent HSV, at least until T3 came out anyway.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #26
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I'd splurge and go that extra 10k, assuming your refering to a FG XR8 Sprint and a FG GT and not some future model, and that the sprint isn't a limited edition release.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #27
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Id have to say the Sprint, if it was a ltd edition run then for sure without a second thought.. I love the presence of GT's and no offence to anyone, lately where ever i look i constantly see a GT.. Fair enough it may not have the grace and the name of fords Grand Tourer but it would be something special in its own right...
Great topic Flappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #28
EL8TED
It all counts

id buy a sprint if it came with a whipple running low boost thatd be worth 10g's over standard xr8 rrp.
Old 18-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #29
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Easy one for me. Irrespective of cost.

GT = History, tradition, pedigree, looks, prescence etc.
Sprint = Nothing.

The XR may be a little better looking on the outside over the current GT, but when you open up the XR cabin and look inside the trim levels are complete and absolute : .

Unless you option in leather which helps, but theres still those feral cheap looking cluster guages and that non colour ICC without splashing out for more options and cost.

The Sprint to me in a hypothetical FG line up would EXACTLY equal a poor mans GT. Like the GS was unkindly referred to in the 70's

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #30
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

No brainer for me. Sprint. Couldn't simply afford so much on a GT.

If money was no object then it'd be a no brainer of another sort. GT.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post