Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
66 STANG

Default No Cruise Control on LV XR5T?

Has anyone here fitted aftermarket cruise control to their XR5T's? We have ordered one today and are disappointed that they have everything that opens and shuts, except for cruise control, which I would expect to be standard fare these days.
Any suggestions for the CC option and what expected cost?

Thanks in advance.

66 STANG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

It is a surprising omission considering the GHIA (though no longer in the LV range) has not only cruise control but climate control as well.
Even the coupe-cabriolet has it and that - going by price - is the range topper.

You'll be happy to hear there are after market kits available.

But that is the extent of my knowledge... Sorry.

I suggest you hit up www.fordxr5turbo.com, sign up for the forum, and hit the SEARCH button (they're kinda tight on that actually) there's definitely a discussion on this in the GROUP BUYS thread.

On top of that it's an invaluable pool of info on the XR5 focus!.

I'm glad that the lack of these luxuries didn't deter you from the XR5 and made you end up with something from the competition. You wont be disappointed. In fact, you'll grin smugly at Type R Honda owners without even realising you're doing it. In fact just today i saw an MPS Mazda 3 take off from a set of lights, only to see it torque steer halfway into the next lane

Now, dish out the juicy info already!
What colour did you get?, What Trim? What other options?

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
66 STANG

Thanks TJ-Zetec,

I have just signed up to the fordXR5Turbo.com forum and have been educating myself on these cool cars!
Ours is Performance Blue, no options, but a great deal (I think) less than $35K drive away including 12 months business rego!! '08 plate LV model. I'm thinking about fitting the "Wolf" stripe over the roof and bonnet. We liked the leather seats but really needed the 3 seatbelts in the rear for carting kids around etc. Hopefully pick it up on Friday arvo - should be a real hoot!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

The XR5 Turbo gets a different ECU to the rest of the Foucs range, hence the Cruise control that is designed to work on the other models is not recognised by the XR5.

I think the biggest problem is that the XR5 is only sold in Australia/New Zealed/South Africa outside of Europe (plus a few other countries perhaps) - all markets that are too small to dictate Cruise Control being engineered.

Europe don't seem to be interested in it, or automatics for that point. Whereas you get your Mazda 3 MPS and Golf GTi that are not only sold here, but happen to be sold in the same model GLOBALLY including the USA - hence there's a reason for Cruise control. If Focus ST went to the USA in its exact form, I'd put money on it being included/engineered.

Just seems to come down to how small our market is. Silly Europeans In the end, I'm glad it didn't deter you from an otherwise beautiful car that is so much cheaper than both the MPS or the GTi yet offers German build, excellent performance, real style and is such a fun car to drive, on top of being 5 Star Safe, practical, packed with gizmos and ultimately really cool.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
warren77

The Mondeo XR5 model comes with cruise control - I thought they shared the same ECU?
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I guess not. If it was that easy, I'm sure they'd have done it.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #7
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

No i have heard the mondeo ecu is programmed a little differently, hence the slight variance in quoted power (162kW plays 166kW). But I do believe the markets for both cars would be similar.

If you were after a kid carrier the mondeo might have been worth a look-see, but the focus is the quicker, more loutish drive.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
66 STANG

Mondeo is too big for what we were after. Wanted the "Hot Hatch" rather than "Medium Size" car. In my opinion, the Focus looks way better than the Mondeo. We don't mind living without the leather option.........one day to go before we pick it up.
Old 13-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
warren77

Tj-Zetc - I think we read the same review which stated the engine was a detuned Focus engine (perhaps retuned would've been better wording).

I love the extra boot space in the Mondeo XR5 to cart around my sport gear. I had a Liberty before the Mondeo and it struggled for boot space. No problems in the Mondeo and at around mid 7s 0-100km/hr it is quick enough for me (for now). So each to their own.

I must admit I am amazed any car now days that doesn't come with cruise control. I drive my fiances' 98 MX5 and hate how it doesn't have it. Considering getting it put in.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Unfortunately this is why some people don't buy the XR5 and especially when the dealers are so reluctant to after market cruise.

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post