Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default AU best thought out model range?

don't worry, i was suitably dressed in the flame retardant outfit well before i started typing.

before you all start comparing how much better more recent models look, i'm not actually talking about the car specifically. i was just thinking the other day (yeah i know) and the au had the biggest differentiation between the models.

exterior wise the base model was clearly different from the fairmont/ghia and sport models and the LWB was clearly different to the SWB.

interior wise, the fairmont/ghia got totally different dash than the base model. this is something that i would like to see brought back in although it costs money which no one has at the moment.

at a guess i'd say the AU had more dollars thrown at it than any model before or since.

these days you can hop in the latest g6et or fpv gt e and the basic dash design is the same as the guy driving the xt. the screen may be a little bigger and different colour but on the whole its the same inside. event the b series was the same accross the board.

as much as the au's looks are not for everyone, i feel the thought gone into the range is the best yet.

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Just a pity they didn't put much thought into the exterior of them!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
caputo23
05 BA MkII XR8

prydey youve done well.. personally i have the same opinion
the au is a great car and very reliable.. just like most fords
and i like how the au xrs have folowed on with the 4 round headlights.. it sepearates them from the rest of the falcons and fairmonts...
caputo23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Ahh there's always one.

Lets not turn this into an AU bashing thread.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
v8 hurricane

good point, but at the time when they came out, they were a bit of a failure and cost a lot of money to Ford which is why they took a more conservative approach with the B series.

I think the XR series and the fairlane looked great however
2010-2014 2008 Ford Falcon FG XT Lightning Strike
2017 2017 Ford Mustang GT Black
v8 hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That is completely subjective to opinion.

I think the TE and TS were two of the more aggressive and better looking Falcons I have seen.
Any AU with a good spoiler at the back will look are lot more balanced than without.

Anyway, I find Camrys and Aurions two of the most vomit-inducing cars I've ever seen.

They're still very boxy without any style, and that doesn't deter people from buying them.

The AU was ahead of its time.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO the exterior was fixed with S2, but the S1 left a bad taste in many mouths.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
IMO the exterior was fixed with S2, but the S1 left a bad taste in many mouths.
The series one interior was not as nice, but once again, they wanted to provide something different.

Mind you, the EF and Ls had beautiful interiors that were fairly conventional for the time.

With the AU really trying something different, the reaction was either going to be one of awe or dislike. Unfortunately, people didn't like it.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #9
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And now Mercedes are charging $150k+ for them
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh, I don't know, I think the Fairmont wagons were an OK looking car.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #11
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
And now Mercedes are charging $150k+ for them
Nice Call.

Goes to show that people's opinions on a car really are governed by a small piece of metal/plastic called, "A Badge".

Superficiality at its finest.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing Geoff Polites said that the problem with the AU was that when you bought the base model, everyone 100m away knew you bought the base model.
One quote he said was "I knew I bought a base model, but I dont want to be reminded of it everytime I looked at it"

Apparently with the AU, they built the Fairmont Ghia first, and then they designed the cheaper models off that.
BA worked the other way, they started with the base model, and designed the upmarket models.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I actually really like the AU, especially the base model AU1 with the sawtooth grill. Dropped on it's **** with a set of the original XR8 18" alloys. No rear spoiler, just long and low...

The AUIII SR wagon is a nice piece of kit, too...
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #14
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

i think a au is a great car, just dumped set of nice wheels. no wing, etc

flame suit on, i think that the au II fairmont ghia, at all the t series au's interior is much better then b and f falcons, and id rather own a ts50 then a new fg gt

but each to there own,

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
don't worry, i was suitably dressed in the flame retardant outfit well before i started typing.

before you all start comparing how much better more recent models look, i'm not actually talking about the car specifically. i was just thinking the other day (yeah i know) and the au had the biggest differentiation between the models.

exterior wise the base model was clearly different from the fairmont/ghia and sport models and the LWB was clearly different to the SWB.

interior wise, the fairmont/ghia got totally different dash than the base model. this is something that i would like to see brought back in although it costs money which no one has at the moment.

at a guess i'd say the AU had more dollars thrown at it than any model before or since.

these days you can hop in the latest g6et or fpv gt e and the basic dash design is the same as the guy driving the xt. the screen may be a little bigger and different colour but on the whole its the same inside. event the b series was the same accross the board.

as much as the au's looks are not for everyone, i feel the thought gone into the range is the best yet.

I hate to say it but I do see your point and agree with you, there was a greater range differentiation between spec models. I often hate that you have to be a bit of a train spotter to see the difference between a XT and Fairmont gia interior or an XR and FPV interior in the B series.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #16
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I agree 110% that looks aside it was a very well thoughtout andcomprehensive range. They had a modell to suit everyone, from the Forte through tothe LTD. No Holden or Ford lineup hasbeen as jam packed since AU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #17
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

The AU was a 900 million investment wasn't it? Feel free to correct that I'm not 100% and am going from memory. Anyway, I feel AU's have stood the test of time. Bulletproof, and sexy looking when they're with xr kits and quad headlights, I'd happily trade the BA for a manual XR8 but I can't justify it, nor afford the insurance. AU was a well thought out vehicle, biggest change in fords design from the previous model since XF-EA
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #18
_CRUZ_
Ford Owner

The interior standard forte model was simple and not attractive but they had to start somewhere, the next models up ie classic futura and Sr -> ghia -> Xr etc etc, was how they made money selling the upgrades of course. They wouldn't go putting in the better interiors into the base model cars and work backwards lol.

Same with the wheels, brakes, blah blah blah.

The interchangeable features between the models is good, even the similarities.
_CRUZ_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #19
SVTVNM
Guzzler

I still remember reading the first road test of all the AU range in WHEELS, while sitting on a cold floor outside a TICKETMASTER waiting for it to open to get my Cold Chisel tickets when they reformed in 98', A couple of months down the track I was a proud owner of a new Black AU XR8. I think any AU lowered with a set of nice rims holds it's own against any current model, especially a XR model with the twin headlights, looks sweet as! A nice lumpy WINDSOR tops it of nicely.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #20
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I hate to say it but I do see your point and agree with you, there was a greater range differentiation between spec models. I often hate that you have to be a bit of a train spotter to see the difference between a XT and Fairmont gia interior or an XR and FPV interior in the B series.
this is my point. not specifically about the au but the difference between the models.

xr6 martin - whilst what G.Polites said holds some merit, the same could be said for the guy who's handed over 50 large for his ghia. he wants his car to be noticeably different to the base model, and in the au, he got a different dash and everything, so even if the exterior looked similar, once you hopped in you knew you were in a upper spec model.

Like Russel said, this is not about bagging the au. also looks are subjective.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #21
mustang70

i can assume when you say 'the most difference through out the range ' you are talking recent years? because i would say the difference in the range of 70's falcons was far more dramatic.
Look at the XA range,you have a coupe in the mix. pretty massive difference in looks and trim and powerplant between a XA GT Coupe, an XA Falcon 500 wagon and a LTD of the same era.
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #22
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Personally, i reckon the AUIII E-Gas Futura was the pinnacle of the AU range. Yes it's not an LTD, but it's an everyman's everything. Space, Pace and Grace without costing the earth.
Cost to own and run is minimal for such a well-appointed car.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #23
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also agree the AU facinates me. Sometimes I'll just look at one for hours trying to figure out exactly what theory the designers had regarding the outside :!). But the interiour is a bit of a work of art. Everything from the scalloped rear seats/door trims and roof (all made for more room) to the dash. Alot of thought went into that car everywhere you look there's proof of that. Also they don't break down much at all?. I was driving a AU S2 and BF for a while and the AU was my prefered car to drive by a long way. I'm not sure what the difference was with the earlier AU's but I seem to remember the first ones I saw being alot worse looking than the S2
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #24
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

the ser II au's are alot better than the ser I, alot is different also

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #25
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

I agree my BF MK 2 GHIA is rather plain for a supposed luxury model. Satin trim, piano black console. No wood trim? The ICC is supposed to be colour ?? mine is just mono, with some blue and the radio aerial flashing red !!! The engine isn't any different to XT-Fairmont models !!
The FG is just the same. Cann't see how they can justify the price.
The Dark Side does differentiate between models. CALAIS V would be nice if it wasn't a dunnydore.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #26
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

AU III was as good as it gets for a just run about plus they standardized the fairmont none to the range. ( If i remember correctly)
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #27
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like how the Fairlane/LTD actually looks like a luxury car and not a elongated base model that you cant pick from 100m front or rear...(obvious side on with the extra glass on the rear)
and the LTD had other differences like the clear indicator and rear garnish compared to the Fairlane's all red approach

model differences with substanciated price differences is a good thing
as stated before.. why pay the premium for a fairmont when you can just grab an XT and wack in the fairmont guts for 4k
Old 02-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #28
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang70
i can assume when you say 'the most difference through out the range ' you are talking recent years? because i would say the difference in the range of 70's falcons was far more dramatic.
Look at the XA range,you have a coupe in the mix. pretty massive difference in looks and trim and powerplant between a XA GT Coupe, an XA Falcon 500 wagon and a LTD of the same era.
But from 50 metres, was there much visual difference between a GT Coupe and a GS Coupe? Or a GT Sedan and a Falcon 500 sedan? Not really. The point of this thread is comparing say all the sedan models, and in the AU, it's easier to see the difference between the base, the Ghia and the LWB models - not always the way with most other Ford model designations (Is a Landau really that visually different to a standard Coupe)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #29
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
why pay the premium for a fairmont when you can just grab an XT and wack in the fairmont guts for 4k
Or a Fairmont and put Ghia trim in for $2k?? Thankfully some people do that, otherwise I wouldn't be buying the Fairmont I am going to be buying, LOL.

The model differentiation was probably the one thing the AU had going for it (well, it had to have something, didn't it??).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #30
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i ment ghia trim JC haha.. always forget the standard monty didnt have leather and all the other good stuff like the ghia or fairlane does