Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

Default Who Here Has Quit Smoking And how???`

Hey guys who here has quit smoking and how, ive been trying to quit for some time now and just cant : But i want to cause the money i spend on smokes i could pay off a xr6/8/gt, ive tryed just about everything, from champix to patches,

and body got any ideas?

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

I gave up over 4 years ago now, one of the best decisions I ever made.
I used to smoke minimum 25 a day.
My boss at the time gave up with me, made it easier when times got tough.

First step- Ring the Quit-line. They'll send you out a handy pack with hints & tips on how to beat the cravings.

I found Nicotine gum worked quite well for me, gave me the instant hit that a cigarette normally would. After a month on this, I simply swapped it for Extra & Juicy Fruit. Quite easy to wean myself off it, as it wasn't flavoured & tasted like crap!

I did gain a bit of weight, but that's to be expected. Am now working on dropping the kilos then I'll be right.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
Cam
Stroking it...

I used champix, was awesome, now have had about 8 other friends give up this way.

Go see the dr and ask for more details ;)
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i gave up in 2005, and i used patches
RavenLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

A friend of mine had been a smoker for over 20yrs. Really wanted to quit and would for about a week and then start again. She finally went and had hypnosis done. Worked for her. It is an option, so is accupuncture
Old 05-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Don't have the first one of the day.

Sounds simple coz it can be, if you start your day like I used to with a cigggie before breakfst with a cup of coffee then this is the easiest way. Go as long as you can through that day without lighting up.

When you feel like you're about to punch a hole in the side of a bank safe, light one up, take a puff and you will see just how foul they really taste, if you have more than one puff then you really aren't ready to quit. You really need to be ready mentally more than anything else to quit, if the first puff makes you want to throw up and you almost dry reach then that's the first step to your mind saying don't you dare ever again.

I did it that way a little over three years ago now, I even had a fresh deck I'd bought the night before and that first smoke was the first of the deck. The pack sat on my desk for almost a week, till my brother who was still smoking at the time decided he'd finish them for me.

On the rare occasion I will light up and have a puff just to remind myself of just how foul they actually taste, you will always get the urge when in the company of smokers but doing this on the first day actually proves you can last and that you really don't "want" them like you might think. In the time since I quit I've lit maybe four ciggies and had one puff each time and each time I regretted it.

Like I said you really need to be prepared mentally to go through the first steps otherwise you will fail every time as it's your mind that brings you back.

p.s. if you get any of the quit aides make sure you get the one that supresses hunger as this will be your worst enemy in the first few weeks, I put on, well lets say I put on alot of weight after I quit.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
I used champix, was awesome, now have had about 8 other friends give up this way.

Go see the dr and ask for more details ;)

i tryed this, it sent me crazy lol, my doctor reckons patches again, i was thinking of the inhaler? i might go to the chemist tomorrow and have a look at what they have to offer,

i want to try hypnosis i tryed to call a place in brisbane this morning and waiting for them to call me back

Old 05-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

Quote:
well lets say I put on alot of weight after I quit.
im already a fat bas**rd so that does really matter lol

and i wanna live till im at least 70 not dead from cancer by 30

Old 05-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
Cappy_Hamper

I smoked for over 20 years and was up around 45 -50 a day at my worst. I tried everything from patches to gum to accupuncture. I eventually gave up cold turkey. It wasn't until I decided that I really wanted to give it up that I was successful. Before it was that I knew that it was bad and I knew that it was expensive but i still wanted to smoke. Slow learner I guess. Been clean for 9 years and 3 months now (but who is counting?)

Cappy_Hamper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
MattyB
I ask too many questions

I'm thinking about quitting, but I just enjoy smoking too much..

I know they're bad for me, and I'm actually underweight, so I have an added incentive to quit.
I know I'll feel better, have more energy, etc etc. And I am starting to cough in the mornings which is gross. And I can't afford to smoke anyway.

So many reasons to quit.. But I still feel I need that smoko break at work to sit outside and untangle.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go and buy a book called Allan Carr's Easy Guide to Quit Smoking - it has worked for 5 out of 6 of my friends and myself, and I swear by it.

$26 bucks - what have you got to lose

http://www.dymocks.com.au/ProductDet...=9780141026893
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #12
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

ill go look for that book tomorrow, when i go look at my new xr6 lol

i enjoy smoking to and becasue im always driving or working its all i do, i smoke about 40 a day, its just force of habit i think, i dont even know im doing it now, :(

Old 05-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

I gave up cold turey and for the next 3-6 months really limited myself to going places where i would be tempted to smoke, usually this meant sacrificing a big night out with mates. or only seeing the ones that didnt smoke, Although at the time the removal of smoking from the pubs made it easier.
gregg_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #14
MAD
Petro-sexual

I gave up with hypnosis, worked great for me.

I found the decision to go and get hypnosis was even hard to make because I knew there was the possibility that I might never smoke again... damn addictions...lol

I think the key is to really (and I mean REALLY) commit to whatever choice you make, 100%, no other option, then you cant smoke because the option to smoke does not exist.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #15
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

One of the biggest deciding factors for me was getting married and wanting to strt a family, "Till death do us part" I was hoping for a relly long time and smoking would never allow for that and then wanting to run around with kids would never have been a great option. So 100% commitment was the only way.
gregg_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #16
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlyau
ill go look for that book tomorrow, when i go look at my new xr6 lol

i enjoy smoking to and becasue im always driving or working its all i do, i smoke about 40 a day, its just force of habit i think, i dont even know im doing it now, :(
Just order it online now, its easy, they will post it out, you'll have it with you next week - and the best part is your supposed to smoke while you read the book, so you don't need to worry about going cold turkey when you start the book. In fact you can read the whole book and keep smoking if you want - but I can almost guarantee that won't happen.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #17
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

As said Alan Carr the easy way......I have it on a Media Book in MP3 format..forget the aids they are NOT going to help you.....first step is...are you really sure you want to, then work out why you DO smoke...his book is awesome.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #18
BELTA
belta kix lsss!

My boss at work has been a smoker for over 30 years and has jumped on the Ziban, or however you spell it from the doctors. You take 1 pill per day and costs about $30 for a month supply with the goverment rebate, and he has'nt smoked for over a month now. My GF has just bought some and is going to try it in the next few days.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #19
290v
290v

use to be a pack a day gave up when my daughter was born was a goog incentive she is now 24yrs old haven't touched a smoke since you have to go cold turkey gradually cutting back dosn't work good luck
Old 05-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #20
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

i cant order online no c/c lol

i have a girl friend and we are getting married next late next year, i tell myself all the time that if we have a baby ill quit but i dont know when that is going to happen,

as of tomorrow ill try not to smoke in the morning, and look for that book,

Old 05-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #21
Hords
Treasure your balls?

I had my last smoke at 09:30 on 02 Oct 2007. Packet empty, hypnosis appoinment at 10:30. I smoked around 10 packs (25) a week, and had started when I was 13. I had tried for a couple of years using patches and the longest I would last would be 2 weeks. My incentive was probably a little stronger the last time. I was going to turn 40 within 3 weeks.

When making the appoinment you are given a phrase to repeat every time you light up. I'm lucky if I remembered to do this 1 out 10 times. The hypnosis session felt unconvincing. A brief 5 mins of explanation at the start and an admission that stop smoking hypnosis is not her forte started setting doubt in. You are not zonked out, just relaxed and listening to her and following the "journey". When all was said and done I left convinced I'd be smoking by the end of the day. I don't know how but I haven't had even a single puff since.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #22
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

i want to try hypno, how much is it?

Old 05-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #23
rodderz

I just stopped buying them. More laziness than anything, I couldnt be bothered stopping at the shops to get some.

I found the best thing about giving up was the stress relief of not looking EVERYWHERE for that lighter you had 5 mins ago, but someone took it
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #24
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Done it a few times and back on it.....Last time I had success with the Nicorette Gum.......I still use the gum to reduce my smoking intake but find that I often take out the gum so I can have a smoke...Crazy huh?

The hypnosis sounds good and i may try that...However i can understand not wanting to go to the hypo session for the fear you won't want another cigarette.

I do a pack of 25 every 2 days...When I'm out drinking though it's a whole pack in 5 hours.

The smoking ban in pubs hasnt altered my habit though as I tend to get a table outside when i'm out with other smokers.

I hear Zyban and the other new drug (starts with c) have had good results, but I also hear they can have side affects involving depression and suicide.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #25
MAD
Petro-sexual

Hypno was $245 where I went. 2 x visits @ $95ea and CD's for $55
Old 05-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #26
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Hypnosis was $105 for one session and was told 95% of the time successful.

Stay away from Zyban if you like a drink.

rodderx > sounds like you were never an 'addicted' smoker. At least you're off them.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #27
FPVF6X189
FPV F6X

i had a heart attack 2 years ago at 26 years of age and quit overnight cold turkey havent had one since smoked for bout eight years pack day ended up a blocked artery but never thought it would happen to me

Last edited by FPVF6X189; 05-02-2009 at 05:45 PM.
FPVF6X189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #28
Scott

I gave up and found it pretty easy - pity about 3 months later I convinced myself I could just have one with a beer!

My approach was to just stop. If I got a craving, I reminded myself that it would pass in a couple of minutes... and it did. After a couple of days, I was pretty cranky and irritable, the first week is the hardest by a mile. If you can be tough enough to just live with it for a week, you will do fine.

i think you need to get it into your head that cigarettes don't actually do anything for you. You want one, you smoke it, you don't want one then you do again. It costs a fortune and what do you really get out of it?

That was my mindset anyway - Why am I going to light this stick of paper? What will it do for me?

After a fortnight, I had pretty much just forgotten about smokes - the smell was horrible and my bank balance was better - not just the cost of teh smokes but the other stuff like drinks & magazines etc you buy whilst you are in the servo.

For a few months I hardly thought about it until oneday I stupidly thought - why not just have one. So I did. I didn't have another for a week and thought "this is easy!", so I had a couple..... then I bought a packet that was supposed to last for a few months... bad idea.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #29
_CRUZ_
Ford Owner

hmm i gave up a few times myself and gone back to it a few times aswell.

Every time i did it cold turkey style, just made my mind up that it was not for me and forgot about it by taking one day at a time, i thought if i could do it one whole day i would be able to do the same the next day, after getting by day by day i reached a week and toghut if i can not smoke for a whole week why would i need to do it now.
Hence stoped for a year or more.

unfortunately i started back at it after some family stress and loss of a loved one and need to quit again.

1ststep try quit line i think, but more importantly set a plan like you have with your dream car and do what you gotta to get it, means living longer and more money to spend and get the car you want? I recon thats a good incentive man.
_CRUZ_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #30
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hords
rodderx > sounds like you were never an 'addicted' smoker. At least you're off them.
I suppose, I only had a pack every few days, more if at the pub etc.

I still have the occasional one, but forget about it afterwards. Mostly when on the beers

I have a mate who still smokes while on the gum, patches and zyban...doesnt do a thing. You need the mindset, the drugs wont make you quit if you dont want to.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post