Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Default Major Chains and Petrol Discount *(Warning:- Maths Content)*

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has pondered this.... Maybe its just me because I wear glasses *(IE: perceived as a nerd)*...

BUT... I think that the fuel discount will drop very soon from Safeway/Coles, back to 2c (which I think was what it was when it came out)... And here is my reasoning...

When fuel was $1.50 a litre, you could get 4c per litre off your fuel bill... So say I put in $50 of fuel (33.33litres) you would receive a $1,33 discount (around 2.5%) off the price...
Now fuel can be bought at 99c per litre, I put in $50 and get 50.50litres of fuel, which now gives me $2.02 discount (around 4.1%) off the price....

Now - I accept that we're only talking 70c here, to you and I.... but are there any other businesses out there that discount you MORE when the price of the product goes down? I would think not..... :

And I would think that in this global economic time - blah blah blah - that the bigwigs at these 2 companies will be thinking of making some money somewhere....

Just an interesting fact that I thought I would bring to light...

I'm interested to hear anyones thoughts on this....

Loftie

Old 15-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
burnz
VFII SS UTE

yes but the petrol they sell is marked up 5.5cpl above retail,(still 1.5 cpl dearer than an independant)
plus you pay with your grocery's
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Dropping the discount would be suicide for the whole grocery/petrol process. Start messing with the 4c shopper dockets and the numbnuts that will queue for an hour to save $2 in fuel might rub their two braincells together and realise they were being duped in the first place.

Around my area, there are a number of stations where petrol is actually cheaper than the 4c discounted petrol and there are certainly more than enough grocery chains that are cheaper than Coles and Woolworths.

Maths has nothing to do with it, it's all about exploiting the stupid.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
escapin

but its 4c a litre off and if i spend $5 in store they give me another 2c a litre off id be crazy not to go for that :
escapin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Maths has nothing to do with it, it's all about exploiting the stupid.
Sadly about 45 mins from Melb in the Northwest where I live, we've only got 6 servo's (i think)... 3 of which participate in the discount fuel dockets, and the other 3 are run by, well lets say out-of-towners from India, that use binoculars to check the prices up the road, then they match it....

And I will NEVER put that ethanol blend rubbish in the car....
10% ethanol, but its not 10% cheaper?? hmmm....
Old 15-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

premium no docket for me I've never really cared about fuel costs just put in and fill up when it needs, hurt a bit when premium was 1.80 a liter but you sacrifice for your car. In those months I didn't drink as much. Forget saving 4c off a litre anyway it's rubbish just for the simple minded
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Loftie,

Transport companies have started to pass on savings from fuel surcharge cuts, however I doubt the major chains have yet. Besides they actually make money with the discount program anyway.
Old 15-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWXR6
premium no docket for me I've never really cared about fuel costs just put in and fill up when it needs, hurt a bit when premium was 1.80 a liter but you sacrifice for your car. In those months I didn't drink as much. Forget saving 4c off a litre anyway it's rubbish just for the simple minded

As I've said here before, and will continue to say,

If you can't afford the fuel, you can't afford the car.

People are sheep, and will do anything to save a dollar. If they can't realise that Coles and Woolworths jack the price of their fuel up to cover their associated costs. What seems too good to be true usually is.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
GTP-814
love the quad cams

Get rid of the dockets so users will see the real price & start supporting the true discount kings...the Independants
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97liberty
but its 4c a litre off and if i spend $5 in store they give me another 2c a litre off id be crazy not to go for that :
shell/coles express spend $2 in-store 2c extra off per litre

caltex/woolworths spend $5 in-store 4c extra off per litre

but i stress i only buy in store goods that i cannot purchase any cheaper anywhere else eg: every wednesday auto action mag $5.60 servo, $5.60 newsagent.
yesterday shell mt annan(nsw) 91ron 99.5c litre
shell liverpool 91ron 95.5c litre and they are owned by the same franchisee!
Old 15-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #11
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

damn right paxton!! I use around 50 dollars of fuel a week... But I could afford 100 easily! I know people who don't insure their v8 cos they need to pay for fuel?? Wtf.... Stupid to have purchased the car in first place
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 15-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #12
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97liberty
So you've been exploited twice. The markup on the $5+ you paid in the shop would be well beyond the $1 you saved in fuel discount.

I've got nothing against using the dockets if you've got them or buying something in the shop, provided;

You haven't done it specifically to save money (because you've been gouged for far more than you've saved) or,

You didn't queue for an hour (especially on a Tuesday night), blocking traffic, to save $2 at the pump.

As I've said before, looking at the results of these shopper dockets, whoever thought of the idea is a genius. I'd have called them an idiot if they came to me with the idea but I guess I underestimated the amount of gullible people out there.
Old 15-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

lol, I throw all my dockets out. Prob cause I wont use Shell or Caltex.
Old 15-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8 utey
but i stress i only buy in store goods that i cannot purchase any cheaper anywhere else eg: every wednesday auto action mag $5.60 servo, $5.60 newsagent.
yesterday shell mt annan(nsw) 91ron 99.5c litre
shell liverpool 91ron 95.5c litre and they are owned by the same franchisee!
That's reasonable but the Shell at Liverpool is one of those stations that normally has a queue spilling out onto the road most times of the day... and on a Tuesday night, blocks the Macca's traffic (perhaps there is a silver lining).
Old 15-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
That's reasonable but the Shell at Liverpool is one of those stations that normally has a queue spilling out onto the road most times of the day... and on a Tuesday night, blocks the Macca's traffic (perhaps there is a silver lining).
and if they drove to the mobil on elizabeth drive it will be 2 cpl cheaper again.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #16
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

dockets=donkeys. you people who do use them, realise that woolworths are a very OVERPRICED supermarket? in order to recieve the docket you pay too much for the goods anyway, then they give u two dollars discount(not really) and you think your saving money??
to look at it another way...if u save 2 bucks a week(supposedly) and you fill up once a week, you (supposedly) save around a hundred bucks a year....supposedly. but u dont. because your stupid. if you use the dockets...
Game. Reinvented.

Old 15-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #17
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Has anyone else noticed that since the dockets came in 98 ron is a 13c premium now when it use to be 10c premium?

Also lately the servos are flogging the E10 with 4c's off and don't show the normal unleaded price only the E10 and 4c off the E10 so as you drive past your like WOW thats 8c cheaper than XYZ till you look closer and realise.

Well at least thats what the Shells near where I work are doing.....
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #18
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
lol, I throw all my dockets out. Prob cause I wont use Shell or Caltex.
Yeah, me too, I have Source card and grocery dockets from Coles that would save me 8 cents per litre, but I've since found BP makes the Ghia run noticeably better, even if its 91 RON.

And my wifes Polo needs 95 RoN. I used to get that from Shell but since they changed those pumps to e10 recently, its only 94 RoN. I wont use the higher octane stuff they sell either, so its BP 95 RoN for that car also, and again it seems to have more power now.

And my toy cars. its BP Ultimate anyway.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #19
TITO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have already paid an inflated price for your grocceries at the super market which covers the cost of the 4 cent discount at the servo this is a fact and has been proved by the news shows and on talkback radio. Its marketing and lots of people go for it plus the 4cents would never go to 2 cents you should be able to work out why. Instead of thinking about this a few adult web sites would be better.
TITO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #20
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To get a shopper docket you need to spend a min of $30.00. This entitles you to a saving of 4c/liter up to a max of 150 liters (I think, it'a long time since I checked, feel free to correct). That means the absolute max discount you can get is limited to $6.00.
Problem is twofold.
First whilst spending that $30.00, you have been overcharged by between $4 to $6.00 if not more, depending on what you have bought. Most pple though spend way more than the $30.00 cause they do their weekly shopping. In which case they are being oveercharged by approx $15 to $28.00. Most pple also don't fill up with 150 liters of fuel, they only fill up with an avg of 60 liters. That means a massive fuel discount of $2.40 or a net lossof $3.60 to achieve this discount.
The above savings are from personal experience with the average weekly saving when I swapped over from Coles broadway to supabarn (independant supermarket at five dock).
So by giving up a $2.40 discount on the fuel voucher, I have gained between $15.00 to $28.00 savings on the groceries. Which would you pick?.
If you don't believe that coles and woolies are overcharging by that ammount do your own comparison. or try this: find a coles/woolies near an independant supermarket, check their prices and then go to a coles/woolies at a place where there are no independants nearby. You will be shocked at the difference.

Tell you what though, I'm prepared to offer anyone a 10c discount per liter on your next tank fill, and you don't even have to buy anything from me. Just hand me over $28.00 before you fill and I'll give you that discount.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #21
prydey
Rob

the lpg tank/s in my wagon are 115L capacity. if i fill them (normally around 100L) and use a 4c voucher and then grab a magazine (same price wherever they are sold) to recieve an additional 4c off, then basically the magazine is free. lpg pricing never varies that much from servo to servo so the free magazine is well worth it.

i guess i'm stupid!!

also, i have a woolies rewards card. we do a fair share of our shopping at woolies so its not like i'm going there to get a discount on my fuel. the prices are the same or similar to every other supermarket in the area. some things are dearer, some are cheaper. at the end of the day the total is ballpark the same wherever you go.

on a standard 60L petrol fill i never used them but now that i'm buying more fuel, its got advantages.

i shop at woolies and use fuel voucher - i must be really stupid :
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #22
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to work for these clowns (Coles). The stupidity of the public in this 4cent deal is nothing short of disgraceful. As has already been said you pay 30 bucks to get the discount docket. Ever thought how much Coles and Woolies make in profit on that 30 bucks? What if I told you its around 30-50%?

The whole point behind these schemes was to keep the punters coming into the shop. That's where the money is made. Your loyality as a customer is worth the measly six buks they'd give you as discount. Long term its all about getting rid of independents and creating a duopoly.

Cheers

David

Last edited by wulos; 19-01-2009 at 06:22 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary pottymouthing
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #23
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Obviously not many here shop for groceries and are all self sufficient! Great stuff .... but I cant be bothered milking cows and chopping heads of chickens to eat.

Me? I go to the grocery store and if there is a docket at the end of the receipt I will use it to get my few dollars back ...... its either Coles, Safeway or the little IGA and not much more of a choice, but you all would rather throw a few bucks in the bin and let them keep it? Who are the smart ones? :

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #24
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Obviously not many here shop for groceries and are all self sufficient! Great stuff .... but I cant be bothered milking cows and chopping heads of chickens to eat.

Me? I go to the grocery store and if there is a docket at the end of the receipt I will use it to get my few dollars back ...... its either Coles, Safeway or the little IGA and not much more of a choice, but you all would rather throw a few bucks in the bin and let them keep it? Who are the smart ones? :
exactly! i don't shop just to get my 4c off. i'm pretty sure i shopped at the same stores before the scheme came in.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #25
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:

Spot on!! My nearest supermarket is Coles and it's not a mega busy one so shopping isn't too much of a headache. Also the three servos closest and most convenient to me happen to be Shell so of course I use the discount dockets.

The only time I go out of my way for fuel is to find a BP whenever I need to fill the coupe with BP Ultimate goodness!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #26
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I agree here, We have always used coles, so if I do get 4c off yay, plus all the other discounts on the back of the docket, LOL. We only have a shell and caltex here anyway. (a few inderpendents too).

But I do agree with the maths of this, the cheaper the fuel, the bigger % your getting off even though it dosnt cover the extra charge from coles.
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #27
axeray

Foodworks, in our area, offers 6c a litre, off the price of your grocery bill, if you bring your fuel docket into the Foodworks store.

Obviously, they couldn't do a deal with the petrol stations so they devised their own plan. Smart thinking.
axeray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #28
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi all
My mrs goes shopping at Coles every Thursday its the closest the only other choice is Aldi any way with the 4 cent voucher I fill up every Sat with LPG @46cpl and buy the paper thats another 2 cents off so 65 litres gives me a discount of $3.90 something I dont complain John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #29
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you pay a lot more than your 4cent saving on every product you buy, woolies have been a leader in this blatant ripoff, Here in Hervey Bay we have paid between $2 and $5 a kilo for potatoes for over 4 years now and they have adds explaining this is due to latest flood or drought or mega storm when in fact they have 5 year contracts with farmers to supply at low amounts like 35cents a kilo ,when they first started this over $2 a kilo push about 5 years ago they were on contracts of around 20cents a kilo,
this goes on with most products they sell;lettuce were on contracts of about 60cents a couple of years ago and here in the bay they are and have been for several years,at least $3 each
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #30
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Exactly. I to couldn't be bothered with having a paddock with my own milking cows, cows to kill & eat and chickens to pluck.

I started working for Woolworths when I was 14, was treated extremely well and have always (and most likely will always continue to) shop at Woolworths.
Maybe I am crazy to buy from Woolies instead of IGA or Aldi but I know what products I like and I hate change.

At the end of the day, you can say we are all 'sheep' that use the dockets but it is MY choice to use it or not.

I don't understand why so many think they are so much better or smarter than anyone else.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post