Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Can anyone working in Cabramatta do a quick car inspection for me?

Hi all,

Save me 1.5hrs of my time if its been used for hard work (for some reason I'm hesitant to trust a dealers description), is there someone that works near Best Buys Autos on Hume Hwy Cabramatta that can do a quick walk around a Ford for me at lunch time or something? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

Old 13-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm heading out to work for a while, so if anyone is near, its a white XH Ute rego BUL109. Particularly take note of the front lip of the passengers door where it meets the guard - in the pic it looks like it might have had a knock, but it could be dirt or the light in the pic.

296 Hume Hwy.

THANKS HEAPS!
Old 13-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
slo_crossflow
Starter Motor

C'mon, somebody has to be close by!.
Old 13-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the bump. I would have thought so.

I might just have to bite the bullet and head over myself. No doubt another wasted trip going by my recent experiences! But you never know unless you try!
Old 13-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

The suburb alone, makes the car less appealing lol
Old 13-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Snob.

But yes, it does give a mental picture of drug dealers, pimps and 'exotic' massage parlours. At least I'll be able to relax while I'm there. Ha Ha.

Am I allowed to say that? My apologies to any Cabramatta locals.
Old 14-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone one the way to work today perhaps?

Please don't make me go.
Old 14-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

if it means that much to you, you'd go yourself. I work with a guy who is happy to travel interstate to buy a car.
Old 14-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
if it means that much to you, you'd go yourself. I work with a guy who is happy to travel interstate to buy a car.
I've spent the last few weeks driving around looking at crap. Whats the harm in seeing if theres someone close by that can do a walk around first. If I need to go, I will. Geez!

I thought online communitys were about helping each other out mate?

Last edited by falconboy; 14-01-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 14-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconboy
I've spent the last few weeks driving around looking at crap. Whats the harm in seeing if theres someone close by that can do a walk around first. If I need to go, I will. Geez!
Looking at the pic you could be right it doesn't look to fit properly but the rest of the door looks good. Probably wouldn't affect the door much. Why don't you ring and ask for another pic? Have you asked for any other info like price, rego,klms,airbag or windbag. (wifes side)? Interior looks ok for its age. Fairly basic car hope its a basic price. Also you shouldn't have a lot of probs finding a wagon in the $4000 price bracket. I was looking recently for a friend inthe $3000 bracket and didn't have much trouble though some weeks were a bit thin on. Searching the net is obviously the easiest way dealers usually ring back quickly when making enquiries. Anything which doesn't have klms displayed has LOTS on the clock so move on. Good luck
Old 14-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #11
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I rang them yesterday and noone that knew anything was available - spoke to some office chick who looked it up on the computer. 156000k, Feb rego. Window price $3850 which seems alright for a 98 XH with those K's. Your right, they are a basic unit, but I'd be happy with a neat one that drives well at the right price - its not likely going to be a long term car, because I know as soon as I buy one something ideal will turn up. Its the way it works!!

Will give them another ring and try and speak to someone who does more than sits behind a computer in the office.

Edit: Just rang and spoke to some bloke who reckons theres 'not a mark on it' and it was reduced from $7k, it supposedly owes them $4800, but they are selling it 'to clear' for $3850. mmmm.......
Old 14-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, as expected, another wasted trip.

Not a mark on it? It had typical ute battle scars, drivers seat was badly torn, and there was rust the full length of the bottom sills (under the doors the length of the body). If the middle eastern gentlemen who I spoke to on the phone wasn't bigger than me he would have got a piece of my mind.

Theres a 96 XH 5 speed locally that I've seen briefly that is pretty straight, so I might head over and take that for a spin. I didn't check the bottom sills though, so I'll have to look closer.
Old 14-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

as they say, you get what you pay for.
Old 14-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #14
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah but this is supposedly $7k worth.
Old 14-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #15
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

good thing you didnt pay that or get conned.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 14-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #16
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone paid $7k for that they'd have to be a bit slow up top.
Old 14-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #17
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In response to what you edited, what the hell is the big problem with asking if someone local in the community could save a fellow Ford enthusiast a couple of hours by dropping by? I know I'd drop by a local dealer for a look over for someone no problem. I can see there are a lot of you who are such helpful, kind, community spirited people! (sarcasm alert).

And lets put it into perspective, these fantastic, enthusiastic people who travel interstate to inspect vehicles are no doubt doing it for slightly different type of vehicle.

Last edited by falconboy; 14-01-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 14-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #18
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

You have been and looked thread is done.
No point in dragging the issue into an argument.
Closed Thread