Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
josh_hartman
Banned

Default xr8 220kw spark plugs?

Well today i pulled out one of my spark plugs as i have a detonation problem and found out they are set to over 2mm. was just wondering does anyone know the part numbers for the correct plugs. got qouted $160 for iridium plugs but couldnt find any of the cheaper plugs. dont really wanna pay 20 a plug. so any parts numbers would be usefull. thanks

josh_hartman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

NGK BPR5EFS-13. It's what I use in mine. They should only be around four dollars each.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
josh_hartman
Banned

just fitted those plugs and fixed my detonation problem thanks for your help
Old 08-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

No worries. What did they cost if you don't mind my asking?

Oo\===/oO
Old 08-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
josh_hartman
Banned

umm around 5 dollars each. alot better than 20 each lol
Old 08-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
falzoony
Rockin '67

Yeah I just went to get plugs for my 6cyl and they were $22 dollars each so I think I will try and find some cheaper ones.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

glad to hear your prob fixed.

i got the irridium NGK's from Bursons for $14 each this week for my XR8, they are great plugs got 140'000 out of the last lot
Old 19-05-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
MR SVO
BLOWSVO

I'm getting Denso Iridium Power spark plugs for my EF, plugs are so after looked these days. The denso Iridium's have the finest electrode point 0.4mm and are proven the best over all :-) Chu.....
MR SVO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
NGK BPR5EFS-13. It's what I use in mine. They should only be around four dollars each.
LIES!! I went to Repco before changing mine recently, and they quoted me $22 EACH! That was for NGK Iridium, which according to them was the standard plug for the 220kW motor. Best I did was $17 through my mechanic! How the hell do you get em so cheap! :P
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

cause they arent Irridiums i would say
Old 19-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
LIES!! I went to Repco before changing mine recently, and they quoted me $22 EACH! That was for NGK Iridium, which according to them was the standard plug for the 220kW motor. Best I did was $17 through my mechanic! How the hell do you get em so cheap! :P
Because we don't use the Iridium plugs. Even NGK state they are the wrong plug for the XR8 as the gap is too large.

The BPR5EFS-13 is the standard replacement, I spoke to NGK to confirm this, and is the best plug for the job.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #12
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

what sort of life expectancy you get out of them ones russ?-I replaced mine with iridiums last year but when they are due again WONT be going down that road again.
Old 19-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0
what sort of life expectancy you get out of them ones russ?-I replaced mine with iridiums last year but when they are due again WONT be going down that road again.
Iridiums are **supposed** to get you 100k but there is no way that I would ever leave them in there that long. I've also spoken to some leading tuners about this and they agree, spark plugs should be changed regularly and there is no way that you will get optimum power, efficiency and economy on plugs that old.

I use a colder heat range in mine (well I did with the old heads) and changed them every 3rd to 4th oil change, so every 15-20k. I do like to know that my engine is running as well as it possible can.
Old 19-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #14
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

and at 35 bucks for the set- much better option. Cheers for that.

Would my iridiums still have life in them?- i have done around 25-30k on them.
Old 19-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
and at 35 bucks for the set- much better option. Cheers for that.

Would my iridiums still have life in them?- i have done around 25-30k on them.
I reckon they'll still be ok for a bit, problem with plugs is they wear over time so you don't notice it when they are stuffed. Much like shock absorbers.
Old 19-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #16
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

a little off topic, but how often should leads and coil packs be changed- i did the whole lot together around 30k ago.??
Old 19-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #17
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
a little off topic, but how often should leads and coil packs be changed- i did the whole lot together around 30k ago.??
Ford coil packs are only good for 80-100k. I've seen some terrible ones at 70k too though. MSD ones last a fair crack longer.

Leads I would think at about the 50-60k mark to play it safe. I do err on the side of caution though.
Old 19-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #18
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

I took Russels advice on the plugs, and Michael at ICE Ignitions gave me the same advice when I rang him for new leads. I was also advised to go one range colder than standard and run non-resistor plugs for best results (some will disagree), so far with no probs. So with the MSD coil packs, basic NGK plugs, and new high quality ICE leads, the engine has never run so sweet.

-Craig
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #19
XH5LWEPN
Boost is here!!

I love to see someone try get a set of plugs out of alloy heads after 100,000kms.

Iridiums, platinums or std plugs, im definately a beliver in regular plug changes.
XH5LWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 01:14 AM   #20
5 FTR 5
Made the 300 :0)

[QUOTE=XH5LWEPN]I love to see someone try get a set of plugs out of alloy heads after 100,000kms.
QUOTE]

My mates car might be a toyota .but after taking the plugs to the 100,000 the thread came out with the plug ,so off with the head.He learnt the lesson the hard way.
Old 20-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #21
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

[QUOTE=5 FTR 5]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XH5LWEPN
I love to see someone try get a set of plugs out of alloy heads after 100,000kms.
QUOTE]

My mates car might be a toyota .but after taking the plugs to the 100,000 the thread came out with the plug ,so off with the head.He learnt the lesson the hard way.
For those not wanting to learn the hard way, even on cast heads, always put a light smear of anti-sieze on the thread when you put new plugs in. I have had to repair many heads, still on the engine, on site with the helicoil kit. 99% of the time it could have been avoided just by using anti-sieze on the thread.
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #22
Yonesy
Starter Motor

I just replaced the plugs and leads on my NF fairlane v8 and were surprised to find motorcraft branded plugs and leads! could these be the originals? The car has done 165k. (PS I had no trouble getting them out... apart from breaking 2 of them cause of the angles i had to use the ratchet at )
On the same topic tho, the car now doesnt run smoothly and seems to be lacking power like one cyl isnt firing. Tho it doesnt happen every cycle, just once or twice a minute at idle and i only occasionally notice it on the highway. I've checked that all the leads are on properly and that they are clean inside the lead ends. Is it possible for a lead to be faulty and if so how can u tell. The other option is that the plugs I got were wrong, I got the EL xr8 plugs (thinking they were optimised for performance) but the gap on those were smaller at 1.1mm as opposed to 1.4mm for the standard E-series v8s. Could this be the issue??

MJ
Yonesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #23
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XH5LWEPN

Iridiums, platinums or std plugs, im definately a beliver in regular plug changes.
Have a look in the B-series section for the 5.4 3V. After doing my wifes Ghia the last plug had to shear didn't it. Lucky I prebought the removal tool from the States.
Old 26-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #24
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Ford coil packs are only good for 80-100k. I've seen some terrible ones at 70k too though. MSD ones last a fair crack longer.

Leads I would think at about the 50-60k mark to play it safe. I do err on the side of caution though.
my coil pack is still the original factory one , from sept 2002 over 280k , seems ok , would be interested to see if a newie would make much difference ?
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #25
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper393
my coil pack is still the original factory one , from sept 2002 over 280k , seems ok , would be interested to see if a newie would make much difference ?
It will, they are a consumable and deteriorate over time so you generally don't notice them dying.

I've removed ones from a 110k car that were completely fried. Car seemed to run fine but after replacement the difference was quite noticeable.
Old 26-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #26
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonesy
I just replaced the plugs and leads on my NF fairlane v8 and were surprised to find motorcraft branded plugs and leads! could these be the originals? The car has done 165k. (PS I had no trouble getting them out... apart from breaking 2 of them cause of the angles i had to use the ratchet at )
On the same topic tho, the car now doesnt run smoothly and seems to be lacking power like one cyl isnt firing. Tho it doesnt happen every cycle, just once or twice a minute at idle and i only occasionally notice it on the highway. I've checked that all the leads are on properly and that they are clean inside the lead ends. Is it possible for a lead to be faulty and if so how can u tell. The other option is that the plugs I got were wrong, I got the EL xr8 plugs (thinking they were optimised for performance) but the gap on those were smaller at 1.1mm as opposed to 1.4mm for the standard E-series v8s. Could this be the issue??

MJ
Not bad for a first post...Member since 2007 and had to mine this?
Old 26-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #27
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Not bad for a first post...Member since 2007 and had to mine this?
At least its on topic and just out of curiosity are the EL XR8 plugs the same as AUXR8s

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #28
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
At least its on topic and just out of curiosity are the EL XR8 plugs the same as AUXR8s
Don't think so Whoosh, different heads.
Old 26-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #29
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
It will, they are a consumable and deteriorate over time so you generally don't notice them dying.

I've removed ones from a 110k car that were completely fried. Car seemed to run fine but after replacement the difference was quite noticeable.
Mmmm interesting , might have to replace my coilpack , they dont make msd units for the six's do they ?
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #30
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Don't think so Whoosh, different heads.
I thought all EL XR8's rang GT40P heads?

Oo\===/oO