Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Holden announces small car in two years!!!!

Its official, just heard on Channel 7 news in Melbourne, will be based on delta platform and be produced in two years. Kevin Rudd was in Adelaide today to announce green car funding.

Australian manufacturing now feels a little more secure. Be interesting to see if Ford announce anything to do with Focus, maybe some pics?

Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...72-662,00.html

Hopefully the link works.......
Old 22-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Paxton
Cobblers!

Yup.

It was only a matter of time before Holden did this. They are bleeding funds on VE (especially exports), and are about to cut their third shift, this can only help to bolster the output at Elizabeth. The only problem is, they're going to beat Ford to the punch, and their Marketing machine won't let the Australians forget it.

The million dollar question is, will Toyota now follow? I think they will.

On the flip side, Holden will only have a Hatch and a Sedan. We are getting Focus Hatch, Sedan, Wagon, and Kuga. Holden doesn't have an answer to Kuga, not even with their European connections.

Lastly, what does this mean to Astra, and why wouldn't Holden want to build their Euro car here, like Ford?
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Link works buddy, but DAMN, thats one ugly artists impression!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dare say that its the Chevy Cruze in another thread?

It's a shame that Holden are doing this but it's Ford's fault for not implementing the idea earlier. The Herald Sun link suggests that Focus won't start till 2012! Come on Ford, get your finger out.........
Old 22-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

From the age - http://www.theage.com.au/national/ho...v.html?page=-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the age

Holden to build small four-cylinder car

Toby Hagon, Richard Blackburn
December 22, 2008 - 1:17PM

Holden has confirmed it will build a fuel-efficient small four-cylinder car in Australia from 2010 in response to changing buyer tastes.

Taking advantage of the Government's $6 billion car plan, the new four-cylinder small car will be built at Holden's Elizabeth plant in Adelaide alongside the Commodore.

It will be powered by a new four-cylinder engine and optional diesel engine and use 20 per cent less fuel than Holden's current V6-powered Commodore. The new small car could also eventually have a hybrid engine.

The new small car is expected to create more than 1000 jobs when production starts in the third quarter of 2010.

To be based on the Chevrolet Cruze that will be built in at least four other General Motors plants around the world, the new vehicle was announced to Holden staff and their families at a press conference attended by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and Industry Minister Kim Carr in Adelaide this morning.

The Holden announcement means that each of Australia's three car makers - Toyota, Holden and Ford - will be building a four-cylinder car by 2011. Each will also have either a diesel or hybrid engine.

Following on from the Torana, Gemini and Vectra the new Holden four-cylinder is planned to cement the future of local manufacturing by bolstering sales following a trend away from large cars such as the Holden Commodore and rival Ford Falcon.

Holden chairman and managing director Mark Reuss says the new small car will be powered by either an efficient direct injection petrol engine or a diesel engine.

Reuss says Australians are becoming increasingly aware of environmental concerns, not just the price of fuel.

"People are growing more aware of environmental issues. It's about reducing our dependence on foreign oil and making motoring better for the environment."

"Just as our leading Commodore range will continue to undergo technological development, this new vehicle will cater for growing demand for smaller cars focused on economy.

The new small car could also be exported to parts of Asia and other right-hand drive markets.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says the Holden small car will make motoring more affordable.

"This new Holden small car is about jobs, the environment and the family budget.

He also says there are substantial environmental benefits as the Government embarks on its carbon reduction plan.

"It will drive your dollar further, it will take carbon out of the atmosphere and drive jobs into the future."

Mr Rudd paid tribute to Holden managing director Mark Reuss, who has been in the job for less than one year but has already brought fundamental change to the way the company works.

"Mark Reuss brought a breath of fresh air to the way in which this company carved out its future in this country. We are 100 per cent committed to having a local car industry."

The total investment for the program is expected to be almost $400 million, an estimated half of which will be provided by Holden.

The Federal Government is providing $149 million of funds backed up by $30 million from the South Australian Government.

The new Holden small car is expected to begin as a sedan and hatchback but could spawn other variants moving forward.

"Further phases of this new small car will create even more jobs [in the future]," says Mr Rudd.

The Holden announcement continues the re-shaping of the Australian car industry along more environmentally-sustainable lines.

Ford Australia will begin building the Focus small car including a fuel-efficient diesel version - in Australia from 2011, while Toyota will introduce a hybrid version of the Camry in 2010.

Holden has also considered a four-cylinder version of the Commodore. The last time Holden had a four-cylinder engine in the Commodore was in the early 1980s and the move turned out to be a sales disaster for the company.

But despite the recent fall in petrol prices, the move is not likely to have the same effect this time, as buyers have been flocking to smaller, more fuel-efficient cars for several years already.

Holden's V6 Commodore remains the most popular car in the Australian market, but its sales are propped up by sales to big business and Government, which have been slower than private customers to switch to smaller cars.

In recent years Toyota's Corolla has narrowed the gap on the Commodore and the Japanese small car outsold it early this year until Holden's new Commodore wagon helped the nameplate re-assert itself.

The Commodore's traditional rival, the Ford Falcon, has suffered from the changing buyer preferences even more, slipping to fifth place in the annual sales race after decades of being either the number one or number two car in the country.

At the moment, Toyota is the only local manufacturer to make a four-cylinder car. But its Camry, which shares underpinnings with the Toyota's Commodore rival, the Aurion V6, has struggled this year, with sales down by 10 per cent.

Despite those concerns, today's news is a welcome boost for the local industry, which has struggled against small imported cars in the past couple of years.

The introduction of a free-trade agreement with Thailand in 2005 has meant a flood of Japanese-designed, Thai-built cars that have made huge dents in the sales of locally-built cars. This year, Thai-built cars have almost outsold locally-built cars for the first time in history.

The announcement is also a shot in the arm for Holden's local operation, which has no doubt come under scrutiny from its troubled US parent General Motors as it tries to bounce back from the brink of bankruptcy.

GM has indicated it may shed non-core brands and vehicle lines as part of a US Government-funded restructure aimed at re-shaping the company to better compete with its Japanese rivals.

Both General Motors and Ford have hinted that they may suspend development of rear-wheel-drive large vehicles, which could potentially cripple their Australian operations.

Holden leads General Motors' rear-wheel-drive development program and exports re-badged Commodores to the United States under the Pontiac brand, while Ford Australia was positioning itself for a similar role in the Ford global empire.
Old 22-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Yup.

It was only a matter of time before Holden did this. They are bleeding funds on VE (especially exports), and are about to cut their third shift, this can only help to bolster the output at Elizabeth.
You mean second shift, 3rd shift was cut back in the VY days.
Old 22-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Default Will It Be Called The Torana

Hmmmm FWD Torana..oh well they stuffed the Calais and the SS name might go for No.3

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=59840

Quote:
Originally Posted by the age

Torana name could be revived
Richard Blackburn, drive.com.au, December 22, 2008

Holden's announcement of a new locally made small car could see the revival of the Torana nameplate.

The Torana nameplate could make a return to Australian car showrooms after Holden’s announcement it will build a new small car at its Elizabeth Plant in South Australia.

Holden chairman and managing director Mark Reuss said the new Holden would have a uniquely Australian name, with Torana a possibility.

“As soon as I walked out of the announcement, two people came up to me and said Torana, so I’m not ruling it out. I’m not ruling out anything at this stage,” an emotional Reuss said as he moved through a 4000-strong crowd at Holden's Elizabeth plant earlier this morning.

He said he would like to involve Holden staff in the naming of the new car.

“I’d like to have some sort of internal process to come up with the name,” he said.

But he didn’t rule out involving the wider community in the naming process.

Holden has built five four-cylinder cars in its 60-year history in Australia, the Torana, Gemini, Camira, Commodore and Vectra. But the Torana has the biggest emotional connection with Holden fans thanks to its motorsport history and Bathurst victories (albeit in V8 form) at the hands of Holden icon, the late Peter Brock.

Holden has already hinted it could revive the Torana name when it released a mid-size concept hatchback at the 2004 Sydney motor show.

That car sparked speculation that Holden could be asked to build a premium rear-wheel-drive mid-sized car for its global parent General Motors.

However, Holden may decide it can get better mileage from attaching the name to the small car, which is likely to be a volume seller.

The move would give Holden an emotional edge over its four-cylinder rivals in Australia, with Ford using the global Focus moniker for its new small car, due in 2011, and Toyota using the international Camry nameplate.

The name is likely to be kept a well-guarded secret until closer to the launch in the third quarter of 2010.

The original Torana was released in May 1967 and designed as a cheaper, smaller and more economical alternative to the larger Kingswood of the time.

Sales peaked between 1969 and 1972, when Toranas made up roughly a quarter of Holden sales.

Holden discontinued the car in 1979, replacing it with the Camira.
Old 22-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #9
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
You mean second shift, 3rd shift was cut back in the VY days.
: Yeah, that...

Shows how far my knowledge of Holden runs.
Old 22-12-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

i thought that almost a year ago ford siad it would build the focus here from 2010...

lol at torana, SLR 1800?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #11
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i heard the media saying they could be diesel,hydrogen and any other fuel to name but they forgot one and that is holden have got that much of it they could run their fleets on it for years ,probably be like most of their announcements full of hot air ,afterall they did have a blimp
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #12
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack
yeah i heard the media saying they could be diesel,hydrogen and any other fuel to name but they forgot one and that is holden have got that much of it they could run their fleets on it for years ,probably be like most of their announcements full of hot air ,afterall they did have a blimp

E85 will be the other fuel. Holden are bringing an E85 Commodore to the market in 2010. It is a shame for them that none of the big Fuel companies are interested in selling E85. I know there aren't any companies flogging it near me.
Old 22-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
E85 will be the other fuel. Holden are bringing an E85 Commodore to the market in 2010. It is a shame for them that none of the big Fuel companies are interested in selling E85. I know there aren't any companies flogging it near me.

United has a couple of pumps in Oz, but very little as you said.
But one good thing is that E85 can run normal fuel.
Old 22-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
XR8putts

I highly doubt Holden will be ready to start production in the third Qtr of 2010. The articles imply they have yet to begin designing!

Paxton, I was not aware the Kuga will be produced alongside the Focus in 2011, in Australia. Is this a theory (since it shares the same architecture as the focus) or has it been officially anounced? - If you are correct, the Kuga will be an excellent advantage to FMC Australia
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #15
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
On the flip side, Holden will only have a Hatch and a Sedan. We are getting Focus Hatch, Sedan, Wagon, and Kuga. Holden doesn't have an answer to Kuga, not even with their European connections.

Lastly, what does this mean to Astra, and why wouldn't Holden want to build their Euro car here, like Ford?
Form what I've read on Carpoint, This will replace both Astra and Viva/Lacetti, the same car would be sold in Europe as the Vauxhall/ Opel Astra, and in Asia as the Daewoo Lacetti, so here probably as the Holden Whatever.

Curious about the Focus Wagon you mentioned, since they've never sold the previous Focus Wagon here do we know if they will be building the new wagon here?
Old 22-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #16
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
I highly doubt Holden will be ready to start production in the third Qtr of 2010. The articles imply they have yet to begin designing!
Very good point, I am thinking that because they are effectively building the same car as the rest of the world (4 other plants are also going to make this car) , the tooling will be generic and maybe the master tooling is already made? If that was the case then Holden will only need to make a new bonnet and new bumpers to make sure the car has a uniquely Australian facade. Therefore it is quite feasible that they will start producing the car in 2010.
Old 22-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #17
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Very good point, I am thinking that because they are effectively building the same car as the rest of the world (4 other plants are also going to make this car) , the tooling will be generic and maybe the master tooling is already made? If that was the case then Holden will only need to make a new bonnet and new bumpers to make sure the car has a uniquely Australian facade. Therefore it is quite feasible that they will start producing the car in 2010.
I guess that makes sense, but am still sceptical! Holden/HSV have a history of announcing projects then canceling or delaying them. I believe Ford's Focus target date is realistic and on the money, whereas the Holden date is intended to beat Ford to the punch, with questionable acuracy.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.
Old 22-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #18
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exactly, they have already announced possible CNG for this car???????? What about refuelling stations, maybe in ten years but not 2011, but thats what Holden does best, they say they are looking into something and that as far as it gets. But Joe Blow is all excited because Holden are going to make his SS run on CNG.............

Just like in 2000 when Holden said they are looking at cylinder de activation on the Gen 3 motors, now they are saying maybe next year????????????? That's 9 years!!!!
Old 22-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #19
XR8putts

Not to mention Diesel HSVs, TwinTurbo Alloytec VEs, Monaro 427s, Toranas, Ecomodores (electric), DOD and theres plenty more!

Thats half the reason this anouncement hasn't had the same impact Ford's Focus anouncement had with me. Don't get me wrong, I believe it will happen, just not in that time frame and it will be cheap and tacky in comparison to the all new Focus.
Old 22-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #20
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99

Paxton, I was not aware the Kuga will be produced alongside the Focus in 2011, in Australia. Is this a theory (since it shares the same architecture as the focus) or has it been officially anounced? - If you are correct, the Kuga will be an excellent advantage to FMC Australia
Not officially announced, but my source inside Ford emailed me a while ago (when Kuga was first released), and mentioned this:

Quote:
No plans are in play yet. We want Focus to be built to Germany's standards, so we can ask Ford EU and US for more models, to ease the pressure on Ford EU to produce them. So, you could say that we are "head hunting" the Kuga, Focus CC, etc.
Plans have accelerated since then, as exchange rates tumbled. Ford would be stupid to not bring Kuga to Australia. The other stand out of that quote, is him saying that FoA want to build Focus to German standards. This is a huge upgrade from where we currently are.

As for Focus wagon, the only reason we don't have it, is because South Africa don't make it. Ford Australia is going to bring the whole suite of Focus into production.
Old 22-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #21
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And Marin Burela is the man to make sure the different variants make it over here. You could not ask for a better man in charge right now.
Old 22-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #22
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
And Marin Burela is the man to make sure the different variants make it over here. You could not ask for a better man in charge right now.
How is worker morale? During the Gorman years, it was lower than low, however my source states that Osbourne was good at lifting, but having an Australian in charge could not be better.
Old 23-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #23
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Down in Geelong he actually used to run the Stamping Plant and he also grew up in Geelong. Also, being of a euro descent and growing up in Geelong, everyone knows him. Respect for him could not be higher and he is regarded as another Geoff Polities.

Morale is steadily going up however we just had a massive round of redundancies so obviously that will take time to pass over. However, it feels like a breath of fresh air has come through the place. Exciting times ahead I hope?
Old 23-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #24
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Sheesh they [GMH] like being in the news!!
Like they don't make small cars now??
The head lines don't say hybrid etc..
So the small cars they make in "Asia" now are
not efficient ?? Or small ?? ...
News folks Holden are making a small car..
yes the popes a catholic too ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #25
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will it be called the Camira?
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #26
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
Will it be called the Camira?
Ohh yea they where special !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #27
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Wow, Ford already announced this a while back

Focus will be built here in 2010 and being a global car not money wasted designing cars for each market
Old 23-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #28
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The articles suggest that the car will be built in 4 other countries as well as Australia. No doubt it will have a different front end to tailor it to each market. However this will limit the export potential for Holden, also they will be competing with the other factories as to who can make it cheaper to fight for the export dollars. Focus in Australia will be the hub for all RHD cars so therefore Ford will hopefully be tapping into a much larger export base.
Old 23-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #29
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah, i was hoping for return of the torana but i think it'll be more like return of the camira.
Old 23-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #30
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Yeah, i was hoping for return of the torana but i think it'll be more like return of the camira.
So you are hoping for a small sedan with v8 capacity?

6.0 litre Cruze (?) and RWD, I don't care if Holden make it, sign me up for 2. lol