Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

Default whats the process with a written off vehicle

ive posted here a while ago about an accident i had. got a quote from a smash repair bloke. the rodeo is a write off. tomorrow the NRMA assessor is coming out to approve the quote. if he agrees its a write off, i believe they will offer me the wreck at a cost. if i want it, do i get to keep my rego or do they cancel it. any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Old 17-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

I remember when my car was up in the air, I read that if your car is written off and you have comprehensive insurance, the balance of the rego is paid back to you, i.e. if you had 6 months rego left on the car they would pay you 1/2 the rego cost. Check the Product Disclosure Statement from your insurer, it will tell you what the go is (you should have gotten a printed version, its normally available on their website as well).

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

cheers for that. not going through my insurance though. i would never insure with nrma motoring. other party was/is insured with them so his insurance is paying for my ute.
Old 17-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
lostdude

This was a while ago but i remember when our falcon got rear ended and written off, after it gets decleared a write off you go and take back your rego plates and go back to the rta and they will refund you the rest of the rego.
Old 17-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by X000BOSS
cheers for that. not going through my insurance though. i would never insure with nrma motoring. other party was/is insured with them so his insurance is paying for my ute.
In that case I believe that they don't even have the authority to add your vehicle to the written off vehicle register. All they need to do is pay you out.
If they do in fact have the right to add your vehicle to the register, the vehicle rego will be cancelled and you will need to get a blue slip inlcuding vehicle identity check (extra $$) and supply receipts or stat dec for all work done. receipts for parts, and stat dec if you do the work yourself. Just went through this with the son's car.

In your case it hinges on if the NRMA can add your vehicle to the register.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
slo351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they will have a value on the vehicle.. i bought a smashed car a while ago.. market value was $8000 i bought it for $800.. they have some stupid way of working out damage(quote) - market value of vehicle, but yes u should get the rego back
Old 17-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by X000BOSS
ive posted here a while ago about an accident i had. got a quote from a smash repair bloke. the rodeo is a write off. tomorrow the NRMA assessor is coming out to approve the quote. if he agrees its a write off, i believe they will offer me the wreck at a cost. if i want it, do i get to keep my rego or do they cancel it. any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
NRMA will not offer you the car at cost you will have to go to the auction and bid on it like everyone else, just been through that process with my young blokes car, but you can remove any item that was no covered in the insurance but must be replaced with item to go back on, He ended up getting his wheels and tyres (Mags), stereo system and a few other bits and pieces back, so he just chucked on some standard wheels and a schyty stereo al was good, Oh the insurance company's don't own your rego, so you will get a % of the balance of rego back
P.S just read a bit further down your car is not insure with them the other car is, so NRMA will assess the damage and will give you an agree'd figure, had this done a few years ago with my XF that was rear ended ( car was a cheap hack bought for 400$ and they payed me 1600$ got to keep the car and sold it as a wreck for 600$ so i was well in front
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

Last edited by Explorer_Me; 17-11-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
MrEL
Sick Puppy

If you are going through the other guys insurance and he is at fault you will keep your car and they will just pay you out.
They have no right of salvage over the wreck. If it was your insurance you were claiming through they would have a claim.
Been through it twice before. Once with my bro's ZJ Fairlane. Went through the party at faults insurance , kept the wreck and got paid out. They didnt cancel the rego even though the car was written off , we actually repaired it and kept driving it.
Same thing with my 4x4. Was hit in the side and written off. Was paid out through party at faults insurance and I kept the truck and fixed it. Still have it to this day!
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
NRMA will not offer you the car at cost you will have to go to the auction and bid on it like everyone else, just been through that process with my young blokes car, but you can remove any item that was no covered in the insurance but must be replaced with item to go back on, He ended up getting his wheels and tyres (Mags), stereo system and a few other bits and pieces back, so he just chucked on some standard wheels and a schyty stereo al was good, Oh the insurance company's don't own your rego, so you will get a % of the balance of rego back
P.S just read a bit further down your car is not insure with them the other car is, so NRMA will assess the damage and will give you an agree'd figure, had this done a few years ago with my XF that was rear ended ( car was a cheap hack bought for 400$ and they payed me 1600$ got to keep the car and sold it as a wreck for 600$ so i was well in front

You are not 100% correct there. It may be possible to remove non covered items prior to the vehicle being assessed. But after it's been assessed, then no items can be removed. The reason being that it's been assessed to a written off value including those items.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #10
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

anyway, assessor was here this morning and reckons that its not a total loss. the kink in the engine bay is repairable. so just have to wait for his call to confirm that.