Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 
Default 2008 Sydney Motor Show - AIMS

With this opening to the public tomorrow - thought it worthwhile to start a thread to talk about some of the happenings from this years Australian International Motor Show, at Sydneys Darling Harbour.

A few of the interesting bits and pieces that are no longer embargoed that people may find of interest are as follows.

Cadillac & Isuzu will be using this years show to launch themselves in the Australian market.
Ferrari is launching the Ferrari California convertible.
There will be a total of 40 different concept / new production variants on display, though without a doubt most of these will be small eco friendly micro cars. Toyota will have a hybrid supra? alongside hybrid prius, & hybrid camry
Ford look to be launching the next generation Fiesta

I saved the best til last though...
Shannons will have a ridgey didge ph1 GTHO that'll be going to auction, with only 11,850 mile on the clock.

AIMS is open from 9-19th October.

wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 03:13 AM   #2
Conrad
Banned

i'm definetly going once the sun comes up!! can't wait to see the new FPV's upclose and in person
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want to know if the Mondeo Wagon will be released in Sydney. Hope so.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hope the Mondeo Wagon makes an appearance...
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
dave289
Banned

I will be going tommorow to check out whats on display.while I have never been a fan of the fiesta,I have seen a couple of photos and the car looks very stylish.would like to take home the gt,cant we have a raffle instead of an auction.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Merc, BMW and Audi are all boycotting the show this year - very dissapointing.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

i'm going in tonight.

but no merc, BMW, and Audi? WTF?????????
Old 09-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for some reason i have absolutely 0 interest in this years show...

i always end up dissappointed when i go
Old 09-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
i'm going in tonight.

Motor Show no shows (all boycotting/couldn't be bothered): Porsche, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, Citroen, Fiat and Alfa Romeo.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
for some reason i have absolutely 0 interest in this years show...

i always end up dissappointed when i go

I have to agree. Its alot of froth and bubble. Even when most of the exotic cars are there you can't get near them anyway

They make you pay a fortune to get in and they also want 2 arms and a leg for parking. Bad luck if you want to take the family
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The New FG V8SC will be on display there, so obviously it won't be making an appearance at Bathurst...

Old 09-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #12
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Motor Show no shows (all boycotting/couldn't be bothered): Porsche, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, Citroen, Fiat and Alfa Romeo.
Pfft I wouldn't bother going.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #13
PoMmYwOG

wth what cars are going to be there then??? Just holden ford and some jap cars and a few euro's ...what a load of bs...i wanted to have a look at the new bmw too...damn...

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #14
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoMmYwOG
wth what cars are going to be there then??? Just holden ford and some jap cars and a few euro's ...what a load of bs...i wanted to have a look at the new bmw too...damn...
With the beemer, front up to a dealer, act like your interested, actually get to sit inside and have a real look... maybe even get a free coffee.

Motor shows when I have gone have been about getting ripped off to stand in huge crowds, looking between two peoples heads, 100 deep, at a locked car. I can see more in the city at lunchtime.

I might be missing something, but they were my experiences.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #15
Conrad
Banned

so why are they boycotting? is it boycotting or couldn't be arsed?
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #16
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad
so why are they boycotting? is it boycotting or couldn't be arsed?
Distributors are saying the Motor Shows are expensive, with two big ones (syd melb) and a couple of smaller ones each year.

THey want Sydney one year, Melbourne the next.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #17
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
Distributors are saying the Motor Shows are expensive, with two big ones (syd melb) and a couple of smaller ones each year.

THey want Sydney one year, Melbourne the next.
I've heardthis also.

Kinda makes financial sense really. And twice a year, year in year out, models don't change that much really.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #18
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
i'm going in tonight.

So the rumour is true then... hmmm :/
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #19
PoMmYwOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
With the beemer, front up to a dealer, act like your interested, actually get to sit inside and have a real look... maybe even get a free coffee.

Motor shows when I have gone have been about getting ripped off to stand in huge crowds, looking between two peoples heads, 100 deep, at a locked car. I can see more in the city at lunchtime.

I might be missing something, but they were my experiences.
dont think they will pay much attention to a 21yr old looking at a M3 lol...i dream of the day i can walk in there and go "this is what i want"

agree about the crowds tho :

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #20
trburnard
Landau: Coming Soon

Thumbs down GM's Volt

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...referrer=email

GM released the Volt, with a range of 64 km! Whats the point. Refer to my response, when the editor finally posts my comment. How many decades have they been researching alternative power supplies and 64 km is the best GM can manage. :

1973 Landau (Original 22000 mile survivor)
trburnard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #21
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trburnard

GM released the Volt, with a range of 64 km! Whats the point. Refer to my response, when the editor finally posts my comment. How many decades have they been researching alternative power supplies and 64 km is the best GM can manage. :

Heard this on the radio . There not even sure there selling it in australia but it was the only car mentioned on the radio . So as allways gm/holdens marketing department is earning there cash
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #22
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au

Yep, i just got home.

VERY VERY disappointed. dont think ill be going back to a sydney motorshow anytime soon. i might make the trek down to melbourne next year though.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #23
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
VERY VERY disappointed. dont think ill be going back to a sydney motorshow anytime soon. i might make the trek down to melbourne next year though.
Well in theory BMW, Merc and Audi will attend next year's Syd show and boycott Melbourne.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #24
Crazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by trburnard

This car is one of the most important vehicles in a long time. I have been reading about its progress over the last 5 years. I even remember when it was released as a concept car.

The Volt also has a petrol engine too which gives up to a 400 km combined battery/electric range with 64km being purely electric.

The average american daily commute is under 40km. So Mr Smith can drive to work and back using no petrol!! When he gets home he plugs it in and it recharges in about 3-4 hours. It apparrantly costs the same to run as fridge. Imagine never needing petrol ever again. It uses new generation lithiom batteries similar to laptop batteries which are much better than the nickel ones found in the prius.

If his commute is longer then the petrol engine kicks in, its not like a hybrid though because the engine acts a big generator, running at a constant and efficient rpm delivering electricity to the electric motor which then powers the vehicle.
The amount of technology in this car is staggering, the sat nav can even tell when you are heading home and so decide whether its worth using up all the battery power, or if your far away from home it may wait until your in heavier traffic before using the battery power - and therefore kick in the petrol engine on the long straights.

It is expected to retail for under $US 40,000, however congress passed a bill enabling suitable buyers a $7500 tax credit with every purchase.

Last edited by Crazed; 10-10-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #25
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

just saw the shorts on the late news .was rather empty sounds like the organisers spat the pill ,they want the luxury car tax lifted .
no point doing specials in a down climate
Old 10-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed

It is expected to retail for under $US 40,000, however congress passed a bill enabling suitable buyers a $7500 tax credit with every purchase.
That is a very high price, way higher than a Prius. Can't imagine it doing too well in that price bracket. Mustangs are 20k US, a fully loaded Pontiac G8 is 28k I think, so 40k is pricey.

They say it may make it here in 2012, I'd say it would be over 60k based on the US price, nearly twice what a Prius costs.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #27
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

Some pictures I took at the Sydney Motor Show last night are here:
2008 Sydney Motor Show

The closeup of the engine is the Volt's engine (small turbo engine with large DC motor attached). The Holden stand had the Monaro concept vehicle as well as the Cadillac concept vehicle. The Ford stand had, well, not much......

There were some good vehicles there (Nissan GTR, Koenigsegg CCX, Pagani Zonda, Ferrari, Maserati) but all the vehicles were spread out a bit thin due to Merc, Audi, BMW, etc missing. Also missed having the usual opportunity to sit in all the Mercs, BMWs & Audis.
BionicGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #28
dave289
Banned

One thing I did notice at the motor show was what little regard ford has for their wagon buyers. The best you can buy is a fairmont 6 cylinder, basically a ten year old shape and now looking very boring. Over in the holden camp you could buy a calais in 6.0 v8 form or if that was'nt enough you could take the r8 with 6.2 in a wagon that looks sporty and modern. Best looking aussie wagon ever not to mention the most powerful, full marks to holden there and shame on ford for offering us such outdated ,uninspiring and boring looking wagons by comparison with little or no options and no v8 ,they dont even offer an xr6 wagon , useless.... :
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post