Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Default October MOTOR - W427 vs GTR vs Ford GT vs Lambo LP

Shamelessly stolen from LS1.com

The October edition of Motor puts the W427 against the Nissan GT-R, Ford GT (not the FPV) and the Lambo Gallardo LP560-4. Haven't read the whole article yet, but here are the figures...

W427 - 0-100 : 4.8 0-400m : 12.9 @ 183.3km/h
GT-R - 0-100 : 3.9 0-400m : 12.0 @ 181.8km/h
GT - 0-100 : 5.1 0-400m : 12.7 @ 199.8km/h
Lambo - 0-100 : 3.7 (claimed) 0-400m : 11.4 @ 204km/h

Obviosuly with such rare cars the GTR came from a tuining house (but tune was turned to stock, so there goes that excuse), the GT had stuffed tyres. I've seen much faster times from both GTR (GTR was hitting 180km/h speed limiter) and GT before. Goes to show how much of a waste the W427 is...

Old 10-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
colossus
Secret Sleuth

And before everyone says why compare a hotted up 4 foor muscle car to purpose built exotic supercars - well why not? The media and every Holden man and his dog are calling the W427 Aussies first "supercar". If they want to use the S word then the W427 should put its money where its mouth is.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should have thrown an R1 into the mix.. it would have been just as relevant...

Old 10-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
W427 - 0-100 : 4.8 0-400m : 12.9 @ 183.3km/h
GT-R - 0-100 : 3.9 0-400m : 12.0 @ 181.8km/h
GT - 0-100 : 5.1 0-400m : 12.7 @ 199.8km/h
Lambo - 0-100 : 3.7 (claimed) 0-400m : 11.4 @ 204km/h
Does the W427 have a speed limiter as well?

W427 @183, yet the GT passes quicker and @200...

Doesn't sound right at all???
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

GT had excessive wheels spin from shagged tyres.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I haven't read the article, but 12.9 secs over 400 metres for the W427 is hardly eye opening.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #7
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

The tyres must have have been bad on the GT, several other publications and motor news have been able to get sub 4 sec 0 - 100 and 11sec=> 0 - 400m passes.

600k though for the GT? That conversion must have been expensive.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
And before everyone says why compare a hotted up 4 foor muscle car to purpose built exotic supercars - well why not? The media and every Holden man and his dog are calling the W427 Aussies first "supercar". If they want to use the S word then the W427 should put its money where its mouth is.

It's relevant in the sense that it is ( at the moment ) Australias best off the shelf offering. All the W427 tests have seen consistent figures for the car....so its not a flash in the pan with a great time on one day and then a suspect time on another.

It also puts in perspective how far behind the rest of the world our "best" offering really is............I guess our expectations of what SUPERCAR means is different to the rest of the world..........
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The W427 is the only car in that group developed from a base model offering... the rest are purpose built super performance vehicles.. not really a relevant (or fair) comparison, albeit interesting i guess in the name of generating mag sales....

Old 10-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

: : :

Ok... the GT in here is that mid engined 'supercar' one right... meh, I was thinking it was the Falcon based GT... yeah I know... : :
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #11
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:

It is the terminal speed over 400m,unlikely any of them will hit the limiter over that distance..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
colossus
Secret Sleuth

The GTR unfortunatly hits its 180km/h limiter over 400m testing. Thats the first mod I would do.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Surprising that,for such an expensive supercar to have a rev limiter at 180kp/h,you'd be on it for half the time if you had one at a track day,certainly the first thing to go I would think,It's built just for that type of thing..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #14
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Surprising that,for such an expensive supercar to have a rev limiter at 180kp/h,you'd be on it for half the time if you had one at a track day,certainly the first thing to go I would think,It's built just for that type of thing..
I'm no GTR expert but from my knowledge in Japan all cars must have a 180km/h limiter by law when road driven. The GTR has some wizz bang GPS computer on board that knows when it is on a road or a racetrack however and automatically disables the speed limiter if for example it detects it is on Fuji Speedway. Unfortunatly it appears the GPS does not recognise Aussie tracks so you would have to disable it manually.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #15
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm no GTR expert but from my knowledge in Japan all cars must have a 180km/h limiter by law when road driven. The GTR has some wizz bang GPS computer on board that knows when it is on a road or a racetrack however and automatically disables the speed limiter if for example it detects it is on Fuji Speedway. Unfortunatly it appears the GPS does not recognise Aussie tracks so you would have to disable it manually.

Correct.... And my god, what a weapon when it does get there though....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #16
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
It's a Japanese import so does not recognize when it's on Aussie tracks. The Aussie version will be sorted.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #17
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You know I dont mean to bag the W427 but when you look at all this info, tests and comparisons since its release compared to the hype it created before release i think its a bit of a let down, yes its a good all rounder that is produced by an Aus car company but for what you pay you'd have to expect a bit more. I remembered the F6 clocking 1:43.5 around winton, the W427 beating it by 1.4 seconds. Is that enough to say justify the extra cost and the difference in exclusiveness??
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #18
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

w427 @ 12.9?

A standard F6 will get those times soon im sure...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #19
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

housemates dad has the (apparently) first road registered W427, he went for a ride in it the other day.. said it was nice but not worth the $168,000 haha. He likes his SSZ ute :P

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #20
Carby

Gee who is surprised by those figures?

The W427 is exactly where it should be - it's damn quick and for practicality it p*isses over the other cars.

Even so the comparison would be better against an AMG e class and M5.

The GTR should be lined up against the GT3 or GT2, ZR1 and the like.

An interesting if somewhat meaningless comparo in my view.

Last edited by Carby; 10-09-2008 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Error in Grammar
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #21
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
It's a Japanese import so does not recognize when it's on Aussie tracks. The Aussie version will be sorted.
But hopefully not dumbed down because of our fuel quality compared to Japan. It'd be a pity to dumb down a car like the GTR.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #22
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
They should have thrown an R1 into the mix.. it would have been just as relevant...
Wouldn't have needed an R1 to best those accleration figures. Any 600cc sportsbike would smack those quarter and 0-100 times. And any of the litre bikes wouldn't even need a gear change to do it. LOL. Not really pertinent I guess but 4Vman mentioned the R1 and I just thought I would explain a little how quick bikes actually are.
For 19k on the road with a two year warranty :-) Oh and get six litres per 100km, LOL

Last edited by mcnews; 10-09-2008 at 02:31 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #23
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would some decent tyres on the fg f6 see those times of the bigw car?

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #24
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

easily, perhaps even on street tyres.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #25
F6 phoon

having a look at the mph they are putting down the W427 is around 114mph at the end of 400m, i'd have to say in stock form the new F6 wouldn't keep up with that power.. it depends i guess on the launch to see who wins the race, but on pure power alone the W427 does have it.
Just so you know i think i saw somewhere that the Elite F6 went down the track and pulled 114-115 mph with just a TUNE and for less than half the price, its a no brainer!
F6 phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #26
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Naturally aspirated seven litres would be fantastic to have under the hoof. Anyone that would want a forced induction engine that only makes similar numbers and produces similar speed on one run to a naturally aspirated engine, for driving pleasure, particularly in the corners, there would be no contest I am afraid. And yes a tune on the F6 will see it best it, but then a tune on the 7 litre would leapfrog it ahead again quite easily.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #27
WASP
Whipple Induced

First things first, the Ford GT is my favouite car out of that lot. I couldn't care if it's the quickest of not. The reality is however that it's the hero car for the blue collars in the USA, as the GTR is to Japan.

As for the W427, forgetting that it's a HSV for a moment, it's our Australian supercar offering and I'm proud of that. Personally I would like to see the F6 turned up a screw and show them all how it's done.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #28
mcnews
Trev

The top of the line Vette would have been more competitive than the GT but agreed the GT is a great looker.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #29
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
First things first, the Ford GT is my favouite car out of that lot. I couldn't care if it's the quickest of not. The reality is however that it's the hero car for the blue collars in the USA, as the GTR is to Japan.

As for the W427, forgetting that it's a HSV for a moment, it's our Australian supercar offering and I'm proud of that. Personally I would like to see the F6 turned up a screw and show them all how it's done.
That is well said unfortanately the only car here in OZ at the moment is the HSV W427, as much as it's lacking in performance against these other cars it's a big step ahead of anything Ford OZ have to offer at the moment : .Both F6 and GT are mid 13 second cars with low terminal speeds they would get slaughtered in every aspect.
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #30
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI POWER
That is well said unfortanately the only car here in OZ at the moment is the HSV W427, as much as it's lacking in performance against these other cars it's a big step ahead of anything Ford OZ have to offer at the moment : .Both F6 and GT are mid 13 second cars with low terminal speeds they would get slaughtered in every aspect.
A slight edge maybe but I wouldn't say big step over what Ford has to offer, again look at the F6 they have clocked 13.1 down the strip at what 180ish km/h by the end, they have even got an XR6T producing similar numbers which is a lot less $$$. W427 has clocked a 12.8 as best so far with 183 at the end, then you have the 80-120km/h time of 2.7sec for the F6 which is nothing to be sneezed at. People have harped on about the 4.0T equaling something like 6.2litres of N/A displacement? That opposed to 7.0ltrs, I think the F6 does a great job of holding its own for the price you pay. I think the only huge step here that HSV have over FPV is the fact they actually had the balls to produce what they did, If FPV was anything like that maybe we would have seen a blown BOSS under a few bonnets somewhere or a Hypo F6 that would pretty much destroy anything Aussie built out there
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post