Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
balthazarr

Default FFS... when will it end?

I'm all for road safety, and getting idiots off the road. But at the same time, reducing speed limits, imho, will only serve to further dumb-down the skill level, attention-span etc. of drivers, increase road-rage incidents, etc.

Here's an extract from a recent MUARC report:

"Recent research suggests that there are still large benefits to be gained by introducing an “across the board” reduction of speed limits to 50 km/h on all types of urban and metropolitan roads that presently have a 60 km/h speed limit.
As a first step in this direction, the default urban speed limit on residential streets in Stockholm, Sweden has been reduced to 30 km/h. ... a growing interest can be noticed in Australia for similar speed limits to be introduced in order to meet the designated targets of the national Safe System approach and State and Territorial road safety strategies and action plans."

30 km/h? I drive over 70kms to and from work every day... maybe I should start walking.

More info here: http://www.monash.edu.au/muarc/reports/muarc276.html

balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

my car would stall at those speeds lol.
Old 20-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ride a bike? Then we could all get fit, lose weight, stop greenhouse emissions, save the planet, and crush our cars - because we are hoons doing 60km/h in a 30km/h zone. I love this place....
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Plugg3r
Bogan w/ Wheels?

This is all ..

If I had to do 30km/h in streets im not even BSing you i'd be smoking tyres all the way up them.. Out of sheer boredom... Even Dihatsu drivers would be bored shitless.

What about us people who drive 60km each way to work everyday.
Old 20-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

my travel to work is entirely through suburbia!

it would increase my bloody travel time from like 1 minute 30, to 2 minutes 30 easily.

that just isnt on.
Old 20-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
TUF270
BACK IN AN FG TURBO

besides the fact its ridiculous, it would take forever to get anywhere and majority of people speeding dont take the speed limit into consideration now so why would they then?......
TUF270 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

LOL time to go back to 2 spd autos!!!

30 km/h is farking ridiculous. 50 km/h in what are already 60 km/h zones is farking ridiculous too.

Leave it as is. My Falcon seems to be configured to 'slot into' 60 km/h and travels best at that speed. I guess this makes sense since it was designed and built before they reduced the limits to 50 km/h in built areas...
Old 20-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #8
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

30km/h... God sake, what is wrong with these people...
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

The Australian 'built-up area' default held in ARR will not reduce from 50km/h. Our 50km/h default IS the EU norm and its widely used throught the world.

If it does somehow replace the existing the existing ARR via the reform process, then NSW will opt out with certainty, guaranteed. Sweden has nearly always been known as 'the Victoria of Europe', in this case, the initiating advocate for the Monash study is Vic's TAC.

The rural default as a topic is another matter, and is not covered atm.

It could be these folk are aiming for a third tier of 'default' speed-limit, say 'inner CBD default speed-limit' that sort of thing.

* The Monash push is from the same folk who successfully introduced speed-limits to the NT, it will be likely be supported by Harold Scruby in his role as Pedestrian Council something-or-other.....

Another possibility is that such a limit might be recognised as 'prima facie' limit, you could exceed it legally, but IF you crash and whatnot, could face additional legal charges/action. I doubt this will be the adopted example.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 20-08-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #10
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
The Australian 'built-up area' default held in ARR will not reduce from 50km/h. Our 50km/h default IS the EU norm and its widely used throught the world.

If it does somehow replace the existing the existing ARR via the reform process, then NSW will opt out with certainty, guaranteed. Sweden has nearly always been known as 'the Victoria of Europe', in this case, the initiating advocate for the Monash study is Vic's TAC.

The rural default as a topic is another matter, and is not covered atm.

It could be these folk are aiming for a third tier of 'default' speed-limit, say 'inner CBD default speed-limit' that sort of thing.

* The Monash push is from the same folk who successfully introduced speed-limits to the NT, it will be likely be supported by Harold Scruby in his role as Pedestrian Council something-or-other.....

Another possibility is that such a limit might be recognised as 'prima facie' limit, you could exceed it legally, but IF you crash and whatnot, could face additional legal charges/action. I doubt this will be the adopted example.

Prima Facie limit?

First I've heard of it, but I love the idea!!!

How about that? The limit is posted at 100km, but if you crash at 120km you face additional legal charges / action. Would be good to see the statistics from this Prima Facie limit after 3-5 years vs the current "fine the motorist for travelling at 103 in a 100 zone".
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
RATT
In a Pug..

Mention the C02 output at those speeds to them and see whether they will change their mind....
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #12
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Funny thing Monash, each State and Territory, and the Commonwealth road agencies often initiate 'studies' from this group, and so often the 'results' are the same..... Might be time for some studies to be contracted to OS experts directly.....:-)

Falcon XR6, prima facie limits are okay, but in order to hop around legal compliance issues, I would suggest instead a 'recommended maximum' speed limit application, in particular for the ARR 'rural default'. This would not be a legal prima facie application, so 'enforcement' is then the responsibility of police who detect unsafe speed (etc), at any given speed, rather than relying on a 'prima facie guide which becomes the point they'd enforce at. (A la NSW history of (//)).
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 10:50 AM   #13
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

at least make it 40kph so cruise control can work

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #14
john3136

I can think of at least 1 wide, straight road in Victoria that has a permanent 40K limit <edit>for part of the length</edit> already.
Great Ryrie St in Ringwood/Heathmont. (not 100% on the spelling)

I think it is to do with having schools on both sides of the road, but still...
john3136 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whom ever wrote that report is a bloody moron. im assuming they didnt take into account the fact that those 30 kh/hr roads are most probably 1.5 lane cobbled streets which stretch for maybe 1-2km's?

someone shoot the beurocrats please! PLEASE SUPERMAN! SAVE US!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #16
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC

it would increase my bloody travel time from like 1 minute 30, to 2 minutes 30 easily.

that just isnt on.
you have a 2 min drive to work! lucky you!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #17
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

lol canterbury road and hume hwy around bass hill may aswell be cobbled

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #18
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC

that just isnt on.
Do you work in St Clair?
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #19
LTDHO
The one and only

didn't they prove in Europe somewhere that the raod was safer at a higher speed?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #20
Bobman
Regulator

Too much focus on speed, not enough on the real and large causes of preventable death, such as smoking, alcohol and drugs.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #21
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Too much focus on speed, not enough on the real and large causes of preventable death, such as smoking, alcohol and drugs.
Spot on!
I'll take it further;
How many times do you hear about someone being pinged for a few kms over the limit on a flat, straight, dual lane highway with clear visibility, yet how many times do you see the following but never see or hear about convictions;
* No turn signal
* Excessive deceeding of the speed limit (more dangerous than exceeding it IMO)
* No headlights or only one headlight
* Erratic driving
* Smoking / using mobile while driving
* Tailgating
* Using the right hand lane while not overtaking
* Cyclists who don't wear helmets
* Cyclists who don't have lights fitted to their bicycles
* Cyclists riding dangerously (which, IMO is every time they are on the road!!!)

The list goes on!!!
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #22
Deech
Making smalltorque

30 km/h? I totally want that to happen!!!

Only so I can make it one of my goals in life to be able to exceed the speed limit on foot, and deliberately get a ticket to prove it. (I reckon it's possible)
After that, the novelty will wear off sooner than my Fairlane's brake pads, and I'll hate it as much as everyone else.
Deech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #23
Supercharged

as it is since the introduction of 50 KM/h all the oldies do 50 or less everywhere now even in the 60 zones, if it went across the board 50 KM/h they would be down to like 40, good thing I don't have a bull bar or I would give them some help.
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #24
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

When will it end? It won't.
As long as your posterior points to the ground there will always be some do-gooder (read: clown who thinks he knows more about how to keep you safe than you do) heading up an 'independant body' (read: government sponsored) who spend their time and taxpayers money coming up with 'studies' (read: figuring out how to spin the statistics to support a foregone conclusion) and publishing 'reports' (read: making it look like the conclusion came after the study)

Or I might just be a cynic...

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #25
Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
didn't they prove in Europe somewhere that the raod was safer at a higher speed?
Research on open road speed limits indicates when lower limits are imposed accident rates increase as a result of driver basiclly going to sleep with eyes open from being bored, when driver is travelling at higher speeds they stay alert and drive the vehicle rather than going into auto pilot mode.
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #26
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I think we are in the process of proving it yet again in the NT. 2007 saw the introduction of speed limits and the worst road toll for a decade. The 2008 road toll is up significantly on 2007, at one stage a couple of months ago, it was 50% higher than for the same period last year.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #27
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
ride a bike? Then we could all get fit, lose weight, stop greenhouse emissions, save the planet, and crush our cars - because we are hoons doing 60km/h in a 30km/h zone. I love this place....
Then get fined for cycling too fast.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #28
balthazarr

I've always been of the opinion that this emphasis on speed - or, more accurately, the emphasis on increasing revenue by reducing tolerances of speed detecting devices to below that of your average speedometer (and installing more and more of them) - is reducing safety, not improving it.

To me, it encourages drivers to 'watch the speedo', and not what's happening around them.

Sure, Monash Uni look at Stockholm and report that they've reduced limits to 30km/h across the city... but do they also report that the area of Melbourne is over 8,800 km^2, compared to Stockholm's less than 380 km^2?
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #29
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Then get fined for cycling too fast.
hahaha, true - i haven't ridden for that long so i forgot. Maybe they want us all on public transport - saves the cost of building decent roads, and then they can divert all of the police resources currently used in traffic areas for the good of society, like catching thieves, and building community relations that have been soured by speed cameras.....nah it will never happen.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #30
T-BOOST
Blue Power enhanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Mention the C02 output at those speeds to them and see whether they will change their mind....
AGREED

also selling my C.A.P.A tune box

pics of my Turbo Ghia are here
EGO TTG
Dont forget to rate it :
T-BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post