Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Should Elderly people be made to do routine licence tests?
Yes 134 84.28%
No 25 15.72%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default RANT - Old people on our roads

It is widely documented that P platers are a major trouble on our roads, but it seems the media is fast to ignore another major problem which is old people. Before I get flamed, I'm not talking about all old people, I'm referring to the ones who probably don't remember to wear underwear or how to use a toilet properly.

I work in an area where there are pensioners-a-plenty, and some of the ridiculous acts I have seen pulled. Some just plod along, completely oblivious to their mistakes/incompetence and their surroundings. It is very frequent I follow them, at varying speeds ... 50 - 30 - back to 50 - 25. Not to mention the amount of times I have seen an ambo, lights blazing, being held up by a 108 year old in the right lane on a 2 lane road.

The worst one I saw was a few days ago, a old coot sideswiped a new mondeo on a two lane road (was not lane changing, just merely drifted over), the recipient of the swipe tried to avoid this and was clipped by an oncoming car (not overly fast speeds, nothing major). Worst of all, the old lady was completely oblivious to what she had done, and continued along her merry way. I've seen them back into cars, use cars as parking markers, mount kerbs for no reason at all, run red lights (both intersection and pedestrian).

Who thinks people over a certain age should be made to perform a licence review test after a couple of years or so. As they get older, their vision is impaired, their brain begins to go bye bye ... surely having them on the roads is not a safe option. While some people will agree 'P' platers are also a trouble group, Im sure most will agree old people are not focussed upon as much as they should be.

Your thoughts?

DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
kenz
BOSS Pilot

I heard on some program a couple years ago the fact that, per capita older drivers have more accidents then the younger crowd its just that there are less of them so it never gets any mention

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I think that everyone over 70/75ish should be made to sit some sort of "Fitness to Drive" test most definitely.

I also think that EVERYBODY with a licence should be subject to random testing - a half hour to an hour test just to make sure they are up on their rules and stuff.

On Brighton Rd on my way home from work tonight, there was a woman driving, she was probably at least 80 in a small Daewoo, as I passed I saw the difficulty she was having while driving - I think she was looking between the steering wheel and the dash to see where she was going. Definitely not the safest option if you can't see totally clearly out the windscreen!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If i see an older person i back of similar to driving in the rain and give them the respect they deserve. We will all get there.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
If i see an older person i back of similar to driving in the rain and give them the respect they deserve. We will all get there.
As do I. But can't say it's completely out of respect unfortunately. I know I will get there someday, But still does not mean I want my pride and joy damaged by someone who clearly should not be on our roads. Not for everyone elses safety, but even for their own. I'm sure loved ones wouldn't want their 80 year old grandmother to die in a horrific accident.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
aye you
The Origional, The Best

testing should be the same for drivers as pilots every 2 years. i mean, i can easily kill as many people with a car as i can with a light plane.
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id rather navigate my way around a pensioner totering along doing 40 in an 80 zone than dodge a pimply faced P Platter spinning out of control on the wrong side of a wet road doing 100 in a 70 zone in his "fully sic" VL turbo because "his terbo kicked in".....

Old 15-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #8
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

My wife was recently involved in an accident in a shopping centre carpark. She was just about to exit the vehicle when a very elderly lady in a Commodore rammed into the back of her car, as well as both cars either side and pushed my wifes car into the car parked in front.
Other people noticed the accident due to the plumes of tyre smoke filling the carpark, this lady still had her foot flat on the accelerator well after impact. She was conscious and talking.... no health problems attributed.
She just got confused and hit the wrong pedal.... then freaked out.

10 seconds later and my wife would have been getting the pram out of the boot and starting to remove my 14mth old son out of the car.... so I have no sympathy for geriatrics who shouldnt be behind the wheel.

It wasnt an accident involving "young hoons" but an elderly person who had no business driving.

The only good thing to come out of it was my mother-in-law was also in the car, had removed her seatbelt and her head went through the windscreen.... unfortunately she walked away without so much as a headache.
Old 15-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just remember you may be young now but you will be old one day unless you stuff up/ or you get stuffed up and dont make it to old age

i voted no btw

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and to add to this my grandma inlaw is prob a better driver than most of us she is 87 and still driving with no accident to her name

TOUCH WOOD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

I feel it is too easy to get/keep a licence. All drivers should be made to retest every 3 years. And car licence classifications need to be reviewed. Any car over 2 tonnes gvm should be a seperate class of licence, as well as having a light trailer & heavy trailer endorsement.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #12
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had a fatality a few days ago in Canberra where a 92 year old driver pulled out onto a main road into the path of another vehicle. A 90 year old woman who was a passenger in the car driven by the 92 year old was killed. This is what was reported in the paper.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trust me.. its far easier to deal with an elderly person who drives slowly in the wrong lane or changes lanes at the wrong time, or wanders on the road..... because they do it S L O W L Y.....
Shopping centre car parks are a nightmare reagardless. Low speed accidents are annoying and inconvienent, but far less life threatening that the high speed stuff.
The elderly have earnt and deserve our respect and understanding, not withstanding the requirement that they too must drive safely...

Old 15-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #14
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimus
and to add to this my grandma inlaw is prob a better driver than most of us she is 87 and still driving with no accident to her name

TOUCH WOOD
And? There would be some young drivers that are pretty good too... difference is they've most likely been tested less than 60 years ago.

I'm all for regular testing every 10 years for all up to 70 then every 5 years, then 1 year accordingly.
Old 15-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #15
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Trust me.. its far easier to deal with an elderly person who drives slowly in the wrong lane or changes lanes at the wrong time, or wanders on the road..... because they do it S L O W L Y.....
Shopping centre car parks are a nightmare reagardless. Low speed accidents are annoying and inconvienent, but far less life threatening that the high speed stuff.
The elderly have earnt and deserve our respect and understanding, not withstanding the requirement that they too must drive safely...
My wifes car was written off.... lord knows how she managed to gain so much speed in such little distance. We've had no other carpark incidents previously.
Old 15-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #16
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not all elderly people are bad drivers, but unfortunately, as the years roll past, eye sight, hearing, motor skills etc slowly diminish so I think a basic physical similar to a pre-employment physical would be a good idea.
Jorgo85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #17
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Just to clarify.... I dont mind the elderly (or anyone) driving slowly/cautiously... I just drive around them. What I do mind is when they cant tell the difference between the accelerator and the brake.
Old 15-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #18
Rhysy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
The worst one I saw was a few days ago, a old coot sideswiped a new mondeo on a two lane road (was not lane changing, just merely drifted over),

we have all had close calls while drifting.

in all seriousness yes i think we need to filter all drivers.
Rhysy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #19
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
I heard on some program a couple years ago the fact that, per capita older drivers have more accidents then the younger crowd its just that there are less of them so it never gets any mention

Ive heard that as well ,But i think the contributing factor is the fraility of ther bodies some minor accidents can be fatal for them.

It is a touchy subject though i thnk there should be somthing better in place . But in the end it's up to there doctor's to make that decsion. I think older people should be respected even if the only thing they have done is get old.
I think the families of these elderly people need to be more responsible or more acertive if there parents driving is a danger to society.

But i hate to think of the day i would be told i can't drive anymore .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

All the bias aside about all the other drivers on the road...

I think it is a reasonable idea for the aged to submit to yearly tests to their ability to share the road. Age is never kind to us humans, and as time goes on, things start failing.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #21
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Elderly people have regular checkups with their Doctor.
Perhaps the GP's could notify Vic roads etc a test should be taken when they notice any physical/mental impairment that may affect driving ability or reaction time.

This would save most of them from having to deal with regular testing.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #22
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my day to day experience, I find older drivers much more dangerous than P platers.

Personally I think every driver should have to pass some sort of assessment before renewal regardless of age.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #23
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
All the bias aside about all the other drivers on the road...

I think it is a reasonable idea for the aged to submit to yearly tests to their ability to share the road. Age is never kind to us humans, and as time goes on, things start failing.
Damn you and your avatar. I just sat here like and idiot for 5 mins trying to kill it with the end of a pen.

God dammit.

And I agree with the others in this thread. Drivers should be retested every few years.

Or perhaps.

Driving test to L's, Driving Test for P's and then driving test for opens then every 5 years.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #24
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the two accidents I've had it was an over 55yo that hit me.

My wife had a prang at a roundabout a few years ago...Hit by a P plater at a roundabout. It was her fault as she didn't give way. She was 40 at the time. ...Poor innocent P plater was 18 ....so go figure.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #25
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I always be careful at round abouts if i see some elderly people, they don't like to stay in their lane...other then that there is the sudden jump on the breaks, confusion on indicator rules and the annoying things like breaking 20m's out from an intersection and what not. But every driver is as bad as each other always got to look at what they are doing keep an eye on their head to make sure they are looking.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #26
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This from NSW RTA website;
Roads Minister Eric Roozendaal announced on 3 April 2008, reforms to the licensing system for older motorists which will keep over-85 drivers safe on NSW roads.

The key reforms are:

Annual medical check-up from the age of 75 to pick up issues like deteriorating eyesight and dementia earlier
Redesigning the over-85 driving test and making it more practical, with testing every two years
Introduction of the option of driving assessment through accredited driver training organisations like the NRMA and the Australian Driver Trainers Association
Maintaining modified licence options for over-85 drivers
The establishment of an Older Drivers Implementation Panel to introduce reforms.

My own belief is that full testng should be for over 75s not just a medical, every 2 years and every year over 80.
Old 15-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #27
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

voted yes BTW.

I'ld say that their is just as much at fault accidents caused buy elderly as there is P-platers. Usualy stuff like gas instead of break reversing into objects misjuding distances.

An truthfully i've seen more near accidents from the elderly the P platers. P Platers are on par with 4WD owners...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #28
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I completely agree that drivers need to be tested regardless of age (although more frequently as the years pile on) as there are some absolutely atrocious drivers on the road.

As for doctors writing letters to the transport dept about drivers being unfit to drive - This happened a few years back when my grandfather was driving and constantly having accidents and the doctor wrote a letter and fill out a form which was sent to the RTA (I think) In any case he didn't have his licence for much longer once said letter was written.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #29
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Elderly people have regular checkups with their Doctor.
Perhaps the GP's could notify Vic roads etc a test should be taken when they notice any physical/mental impairment that may affect driving ability or reaction time.

This would save most of them from having to deal with regular testing.
Actually they do! My Grandma was taken off the road nearing 90 by her doctor. He had to report her ...... in a nice way ....... and she wasnt allowed to drive anymore.

Could I just re write some of the above and see if the 'rant' still fits though?
Quote:
It is widely documented that the eldery are a major trouble on our roads, but it seems the media is fast to ignore another major problem which is young people. Before I get flamed, I'm not talking about all young people, I'm referring to the ones who probably don't remember to wear clean underwear or how to use a toilet properly.

I work in an area where there are P Platers-a-plenty, and some of the ridiculous acts I have seen pulled. Some just scream along, completely oblivious to their mistakes/incompetence and their surroundings beleiving they are the worlds best drivers. It is very frequent I follow them, at varying speeds ... 100 - 30 - back to 100 - 25. Not to mention the amount of times I have seen an ambo, lights blazing, being held up by a P-Plater with doof doof blearing in the right lane on a 2 lane road ............. etc

Your thoughts?
They do get a raw deal and yes ..... like everyone from 18 to 90 there is an element that should not be on the road. P platers do get more media attention because on camera they are very capable of making twits of themselves. Seen plenty of ACA & TT things on eldery drivers ..... its just that the younger dont bother watching!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #30
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

regular testing of drivers LMAO, yeah right!

I remember a Apprentice at work saying he had to book 3 weeks in advance for a driving test, so lets see how the system copes when thay need to test like 15,000,0000 drivers over 3 years!!! No chance.

Not to mention the standard driving test don't test you ability to drive a car. anyone who reckons they would pass a driving test who have held there license for over 1 year I think you are in for a shock!