Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Windscreens O'Brian scare mongering?

I have been listening to that Windscreens O'Brian radio add...

Ok, story goes that some poor tool had a chipped screen, he turns on the car heater one frosty morning and BAM his windscreen (WS..) shattered...

I have 2 chips in my WS, I guess they would be called "Bulls Eye's" and one is around 5-6mm in dia, the other 9-12mm dia.

Been there several years the both of them... and nothing like this has ever happened, any any frosty morning, or the countless snow trips etc.

I guess this MAY happen if you pour a jug of boiling water driectly on the cold glass, but come on.. a car heater? My car takes several minutes to GRADUALLY warm up on a frosty morning, no instant furnace like the add makes up....

So?? how many people has this actually happened to??

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 12-08-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

I put the jug on mine :P
though I add cold water so its not as hot.
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i didnt think it was possible, maybe the chips might enlarge into cracks but arent all windscreens laminated now so the screen will still be held in place, not the billions of shards from a shattered windscreen as the ad makes out

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
accurate1

The bloke who does the Windscreens O'Brian adds in Melbourne is bordering on illiterate. Doesn't do much towards inspiring confidence in the company.
accurate1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a coincidence...that add was just on the radio when I came across this thread .....you're right ! bit of an over exaggeration I think
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

It can happen - serious hot/cold changes can stress the glass to the point of fracturing. I don't know how common it is though. People I know have had that happen but its pretty uncommon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3SR
i didnt think it was possible, maybe the chips might enlarge into cracks but arent all windscreens laminated now so the screen will still be held in place, not the billions of shards from a shattered windscreen as the ad makes out
Yes they are laminated but that doesn't mean they will stay intact. I've seen pretty new cars with their windscreens shattered to bits - in nice little safety glass pieces so its not dangerous.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Happened in reverse to me

Small stone chip in window, very hot day, washing car, put the hose on the glass (cold water) and the glass cracked right across

Needed a new windscreen anyway

It can happen but not often
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

In modern cars, the windscreen is a structural/stressed part of the car. Old cars were not. As Mythbusters say 'pausible'
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
boss-290

Theres another version where a dude had a chip in his windscreen, and he went over a speed hump and it sent vibrations up through his windscreen and it cracked right across.

I have a chip on my winscreen but CBF getting it fixed.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I had this happen when I first moved to the NT. A cool dry season morning, a fair bit of dew on the XF wagon I had at the time. I got to the 100 zone heading out of town towards Palmerston, wound the window down a crack and about 2 seconds later the whole windscreen shattered. I had to stick my head out the window to see enough to stop.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
In modern cars, the windscreen is a structural/stressed part of the car. Old cars were not. As Mythbusters say 'pausible'
Is it also rewindable?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 01:24 AM   #12
randel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont know about cold mornings, but mine cracked when some little shite dropped a rock off the kwinana freeway overpass one thursday night....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0044.jpg (61.2 KB, 115 views)
randel is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 01:49 AM   #13
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just got 2 stone chips repaired on the camry's windscreen: $70 bucks. beats driving around seeing a stone chip all the time.

i got a local bloke to do it though, not o'briens. don't know how much they charge.

a new windscreen for said car costs around $250.

some insurance companies have windscreen cover that doesn't affect your no-claim bonus... worth looking into.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 03:30 AM   #14
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by randel
dont know about cold mornings, but mine cracked when some little shite dropped a rock off the kwinana freeway overpass one thursday night....
Holy crap! You could have been really hurt!
Old 13-08-2008, 03:54 AM   #15
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by randel
I pretty sure that happened few years back some 15 year old dropped a brick killed a fella. Also think he was trialed as an adult.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #16
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Yeah I had some drunken f...wit throw something at my Falcon's windscreen in town one night... put a big bloody chip and some small cracks in it. I don't know what it was, I think it was either a rock or a bottle, but I didn't see it. I pulled the anchors on, got the tyre iron out from under my seat and had a look around but whoever it was decided to leg it. Perhaps that was a good thing for both of us.

And just the other day some little turds from the local school near my work were hiding in the bushes lobbing rocks at cars... hit my left rear passenger window and left a small chip. The little turds crapped themselves when I turned around and came back, I told them 'I don't think you ought to be doing that. If my window is broken I am going to call the police'. There was two of the little turds, one ran off and the other was like a deer in headlights. Its funny now but at the time I wanted to put my boot fair up their .
Old 13-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #17
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

We had a couple of local turds throw a rock through dad's landcruiser. My brother heard the noise, ran out and confronted them. He knew who they were through school, and had always been losers.

Anyway long story short, tracked down the parents, made the pair of them come around and pick out every last bit of glass and pay for a replacement window.

I told dad to have them charged, dad the big softy said no, people make mistakes and hopefully they will learn. A month later there was a nice big dint where somehad had jumped on the bonnet. Wonder who it was....

edit: Oh, I just remembered that my brother later saw one of them at the train station, being quite forcefully arrested and shoved in the back of a paddy wagon. Something about being very abusive towards the train guard.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #18
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Is it also rewindable?