Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What are fog lights for?

Drove home this morning early and Gympie was its usual winter foggy wonderland. Traffic was reasionably heavy for 7:00 and the majority of vehicles had lights on.

The really interesting thing was NO ONE HAD FOG LIGHTS ON.

I was keeping an eye out specificly and although there were dozens of GT/XR/HSV/SS/whatevers that are fitted with factory fog lights and NONE were on, they were all just low beam.

Once north of Chatswood the fog disappears and guess what.....

One VE SS, one XR8 ute and two XR6 sedans all tooling along in blinding bright sunlight with the foggies and parkers on.

Obviously it is not fully sic and hektic to use foglights for their intended purpose.......

Old 06-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

OHHH NOooo not again !!! Everyone is too scared to turn there f lights on now...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 06-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reason why is they think why bother having them on if no one can see them!

While on the subject of fog lamps...

Fog lights are of no use to 95% of Australia anyway. Driving lights that only come on with high beam would be of much more use I would have thought.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
The reason why is they think why bother having them on if no one can see them!

While on the subject of fog lamps...

Fog lights are of no use to 95% of Australia anyway. Driving lights that only come on with high beam would be of much more use I would have thought.
Agree 100%.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
HUNTER8

Here's a question. If we have front fog lights for fog, why aren't rear ones fitted as well?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

<tongue in cheek>

Hmmm

What are Parking Lights for - Never see them used for parking these days either

Hmmm are Tail lights for when you are tailing someone

Courtesy lights ...
Dome light ?
Head lights - when do you use these ?
Driving lights - should always be used if you are driving !

</tongue in cheek>
Old 06-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

lol foglights... our favourite topic of discussion.. Mine work again!! and yes it was hektic out there today!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #8
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

cmon flap, dont be afraid of the fog lights! not as if they are powerful enough to burn through your cataracts! :P

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 06-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #9
HUNTER8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
<tongue in cheek>

Head lights - when do you use these ?
</tongue in cheek>
There's an obvious answer to that which I won't go in to.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #10
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER8
Here's a question. If we have front fog lights for fog, why aren't rear ones fitted as well?
I got rear ones on my Voyager :
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 06-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
They arent foglights, they are boat markers!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #12
HUNTER8

Quote:
I've got them as well on the MG :
Old 06-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #13
351Fordgrunt
351 Cleveland

Quote:
The wifes car has rear fog lights, Ford Focus used them a few times to get idiots off the rear bumper works well they think one is braking
Old 06-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #14
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

What the car makers need to do is make fog sensing fog lights! would solve all the problems.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:40 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and just like fairlane turning lamps, we would rewire them neways! lol
Old 06-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #16
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
I've got them as well on the MG :
Go the none Aussie made cars ... seen ur MG .. it's alright :P

my Chryslers bigger though :P
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 06-08-2008, 11:45 PM   #17
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Revenue raiser.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:01 AM   #18
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

slightly off topic, but can you get driving lights to fit in the section where the fog lights are?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:09 AM   #19
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Drove home this morning early and Gympie was its usual winter foggy wonderland. Traffic was reasionably heavy for 7:00 and the majority of vehicles had lights on.

I was keeping an eye out specificly and although there were dozens of GT/XR/HSV/SS/whatevers that are fitted with factory fog lights and NONE were on, they were all just low beam.

One VE SS, one XR8 ute and two XR6 sedans all tooling along in blinding bright sunlight with the foggies and parkers on.

Obviously it is not fully sic and hektic to use foglights for their intended purpose.......
They're for the Muzza's and tradies who drive BA XR6's and VZ's.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #20
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use mine regularly in the fog we have at home. Lots of others do too. In tas they are a lot more accepting of using fog lights at any time. I do not know of anyone who has been pulled up for this heinous crime! The best excuse here is that you have just driven from an area of fog - eg one of the local hills
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 07-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #21
TadKa
Wait? What?

Yeah I'm one of the 'knob's' who pretty much always has the fog's on. It just seems safer to me to increase the visability of the car a tad front and rear. A lot of fleet vehicles do it i.e. Telstra. I prefer having the fogs on than the main bulbs. I also have those stupid 'look at me' blue led parkers seen in most VL Commodores. I'm sure one day I'll get pulled over and fined but I've had them about 18 months now. It's a bit **** but thats me.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #22
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

At least your honest.

I agree that it would be more advantageous to have them as driving lights rather than Foggies, the only time I tend to use mine, is during the rain, and occasional fog
Old 07-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #23
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
my Chryslers bigger though :P
In this case, bigger most certainly IS NOT by any means better.

Oo\===/oO
Old 07-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #24
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Easy! FOG!
Old 07-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #25
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Hope you "shot out" some street signs.............Its compulsory in Gympie you know.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #26
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Used them quite a bit when I lived in the 'gong and commuted to Sydney up the F6. They got some real pea soupers. Likewise when I lived on a property near Canberra and commuted there - winter was a shocker.

I had 2 people hit the rear of my EF on the F6 so had afternarket front and rear (hard to find) ones fitted - no more rear enders.

The Mini and Subie have them. Hardly ever get used now in Sydney except for one or two days, usually in winter - except for flicking the rear one on to get rid of tailgaters - that way no need to actually brake check them.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #27
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadKa
Yeah I'm one of the 'knob's' who pretty much always has the fog's on. It just seems safer to me to increase the visability of the car a tad front and rear. A lot of fleet vehicles do it i.e. Telstra. I prefer having the fogs on than the main bulbs. I also have those stupid 'look at me' blue led parkers seen in most VL Commodores. I'm sure one day I'll get pulled over and fined but I've had them about 18 months now. It's a bit **** but thats me.
I dont normally have them on during the day (except if Im doing highway miles and then I generally have lights and driving/fog lights on. Otherwise round the city I just have my headlight set on auto and if my lights come so do my driving/fog lights but I agree it increases visability a little and makes you more visable.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
Old 07-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #28
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I don't use my foglights outside of adverse conditions very often, I don't have a problem with people having fog lights on in clear conditions either. Being seen is better than not being seen I reckon...They generally aren't that bright or badly angled to really be a distraction unless you rile yourself up over the fact someone has them on. Late model Commodore 'fogs' (which appear to be set up as driving lights) are a bit of a problem, just like normal AU headlights, so I don't look at them! What really gets me though is when people have them and then DON'T use them when necessary. Especially those in silver or white cars that drive with NO lights on in rain or fog. Just because the clock says its not night time does not mean that you don't need lights on. They are just waiting to become statistics.

PS, actually I do hate those that leave REAR fogs on in the clear - they really are distracting. Excel drivers, I am looking at you (and being blinded).
Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #29
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What are fog lights for?
not the foggiest idea ?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #30
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol Yeah I notice this as well! The one time you have a reason to use fog lights, they leave the bloody things switched off!

Guess if there is fog, you can't see them showing off.

Maybe they should be renamed "vanity lights" for the way most people use them.
Closed Thread