Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hmm.. finally a GOOD IDEA! maybe the gov't will reconsider? - doubtful

Cut tax on light booze: Police Commissioner

Quote:
New South Wales Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione says taxes should be reduced on drinks with lower alcohol content to help curb binge drinking.

The idea is one of several Commissioner Scipione has discussed with his counterparts in other states, territories and New Zealand as they focus on how to curb alcohol-related crime.

The Commissioner backs the Federal Government's plan to increase taxes on alcopops by 70 per cent but has suggested it should also lower the taxes on drinks with a small percentage of alcohol.

"We would believe that would make it more attractive to purchase those alcoholic drinks that have a lower alcohol content," he said.

"I think it's probably important here that we concentrate more on the positives by looking at tax incentives for low-alcohol equivalents."

Commissioner Scipione says he thinks the public would support the idea.

"Communities actually want to see changes in the way we regulate, promote and use alcohol in Australia," he said.

Commissioner Scipione says another idea is to set up places drunks can go to sober up so they do not take up room in police cells.

"This particularly came about as a result of some of the really good work that's going on in the Northern Territory," he said.

"There's an alternative to incarcerating people and that often means that we can simply take somebody that needs to simply get some down time - they haven't committed an offence and they're not yet a victim but it gives them an opportunity to sober up."

Other ideas include discouraging 'vertical drinking', which refers to pubs where there are not enough chairs and people are forced to drink standing up. The Commissioner says that means they drink more.

Australia's police commissioners are also urging a review of licensing laws to consider abolishing happy hours, the drinking of 'shooters' and 24-hour licensing of venues.
http://www.bigpond.com/news/topstori...27/2256926.asp

Yes. Its a good idea! although he's still backing the 70% tax increase on standard mixed drinks....

although regarding his bars policy a better one would be to cancel the drinking of straight spirits and high alchohol content beverages after 12:30am-1am

Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
stiddy
Banned

lol noooo they cant get rid of shots and 24hr drinking holes..

Rather than buy pre-mixed drinks over the coutner at rediculous prices, you can get a double-shot of "insert choice of drink" and soft drink for cheaper than a pre-mix and get drunk cheaper and faster. OR even a single, its cheaper again and you can have 2 for the price of a pre-mix.
Better yet, buy a bottle of something and drink it at home before you head out, typsy by the time you get to the club, spend your 50 or 100 on pre-mixes and you still have a cheap drunk night.
Theres too many ways around it, I dont see the tax being a huge inconveinience to anyone really.
I would actually like to see the stats if this increased tax on drinks has made a difference if any.
Government is full of greedy one-eyed retarded monkeys with bullshite knee jerk reactions to any situation that is placed infront of them.

ugh.
Matt
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Here is an even better idea, stop worrying about putting taxes on things where they can go buy harder/better stuff like "alcopops" which we don't need to in our lives anyway and cut the taxes on petrol.

38 cents was the last I heard per litre, thats unbelieavable, from the goverment, i'd expect that from the petrol stations themselves but god! Maybe if petrol was cheaper people would go driving more then using there spare $30 on a bottle of Vodka and wandering the streets drunk!

I have no problem taxing things that are lesuire items like soft drinks/lollies/aclohol etc. but taxes should b minimal on neccesary things like milk/bread/petrol etc. then I see binge drinking declining, obesity disappearing again etc. but as we all know, the goverment is just greedy!

Pffftttt.... and it don't matter who you vote for, you get screwed either way.

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

The problem is, they punish everybody for the few that ruin it for everyone.

Getting rid of happy hours is stupid. How many people go down the pub for one or two beers after work on a Friday, during a happy hour, the drinks are cheaper, makes it a little easier on the wallet and you don't have to get ****ed.

Getting rid of vertical drinking? Wake the hell up. If I've been on my bum all day at work (I'm an office worker) and I go down the pub, I don't mind standing up for a drink or two if there's no seat. And if somebody really wants to get smashed, do you think they'll care whether they're standing or sitting?

And abolishing shooters? Give me a break. As far as most people I know are concerned, you have one or two each on a night out and that's it, more as a social group thing altogether.

Its amazing that the government always try to do public consultations when it comes to changing certain things, but when its something like this where there would be a huge backlash, they just pass it on in their offices. And announce it to the masses through the media.

Good work K-Rudd. Those like me who refused to vote for you are now suffering due to the general stupidity of the rest of the population.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

How is it a good idea exactly? If your plan is to get ratfaced, cutting a few cents off a light beer isn't going to persuade you to become a sensible drinker.

What's different between having a shot of scotch or a scotch and coke? Both have exactly the same amount of alcohol in them and can be swallowed just as quickly. Only difference is an extra trip to the dunny.

Who is going to subsidise these drying out rooms? I'm already paying taxes ontop of taxes.

The only thing I partially agree with is 24 hour licensing.

Point out which parts you considered good ideas...?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 12:19 AM   #6
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Its due to no smoking in clubs and Pubs.. They have more $$$ to spend on drinks....Just inforce the RSA laws.. Bar staff and owners let this conduct carry on to make $$$ themselves..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

guys remember, this isnt just trying to curb binge drinking, but also alcoholic violence. Ever been to the cross at 2:00am? its ground zero down there!

Last edited by Fev; 28-05-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 28-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
stiddy
Banned

Been at the cross at 2.00am.. you think its dangerous?
Ive been down there more times than I could even dream of.. one of my favourite clubs is out there.
There is violence everywhere at most clubs and pubs, there always will be reguardless if people are drinking or not.
I've seen fights start because others think they are all tough and not kindly stepping aside to let someone pass, I've also seen them start because he/she is chatting up someones girlfriend/boyfriend, not to mention racial fights and stuff, none I would call drunken violence. Its bound to happen reguardless, alcohol just adds to it.
Old 28-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats the point.Alcohol ADDS TO IT, and between the times of 11:30pm to 3:00am the violence in entertainment area's(ie bars, clubs etc) increases quite alot. Thats the main thing they are trying to cut down with this. which then involves the binge drinking aspect because most young people usually buy "alcopops" before they go out, theyll buy a 4pack of 9%'s, drink them all before they get to the place half ****ed and keep on drinking
Old 28-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
stiddy
Banned

Yes I agree alcohol adds to it BUT I dont think your getting my point, the violence will still happen even if they were just drinking coke and lemonade..

Living in Penrith, you should know that. Have a stroll down to Bloc on a friday night about 10-11pm, there is fights in the car park almost weekly before they even get into the club!
Old 28-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #11
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah but.. its penrith.. lol

i understand your point but my pint is that they are trying to reduce it, not eliminate it, whoever thinks they can eliminate violence is probably running a cult or took acid a few too many times back in the 70s...
Old 28-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
yeah but.. its penrith.. lol

i understand your point but my pint is that they are trying to reduce it, not eliminate it, whoever thinks they can eliminate violence is probably running a cult or took acid a few too many times back in the 70s...

I'd still like to see if this tax makes any difference.

Guess im just lucky to know most of the bar staff at my choice of clubs, cheap and sometimes free drinks : lol
Old 28-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

tax's wont do jack.

people will either drink alternative stuff, rock up to places half cut, or just deal with the cost.

OR, turn to drugs.
Old 28-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #14
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy

I'd still like to see if this tax makes any difference.

Guess im just lucky to know most of the bar staff at my choice of clubs, cheap and sometimes free drinks : lol
you saah' are pure evil! lol dont know any of the local staff, althuogh i dont visit them as much as i should