Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
satria
FOXWHO

Default what is a 'club rego' for?

hey people, i've seen this term pop up quite a bit recently and was wondering why people have their cars on 'cub regos'?

what are advantages and disadvantages of club regos? is it cheaper than normal regos?

reason i ask is i have my xw on regular rego which costs a bucketload to rego every year and i only drive it once a month because i work away so if there is a way to save money on rego i would definitely take it. Help me save for a blower too

satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Club rego is for cars over a certain age (pre 67 or is it 73??? cant remember lol).

They are for drivers who are a member of a recognised club. The club rego restricts the car to only go on outings that are endorsed or organised by the club. You can only drive your car on non club events if you need a service or for rego / repairs. (I think you can also stay within a 6km radius of your address for general driving like ducking up to the shops for the milk etc??).

Insurance and rego are much cheaper, but you need to remember if it is worth if if you like to drive your car on more than the club runs.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
satria
FOXWHO

sounds good to me, i looked on the licensing website for WA and they have nothing about club rego's. Anyone in WA that can shed some light on this topic?

i've read that the rule now is you can drive your car for 90days every year, without it having to be a 'club run'.
Old 16-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
satria
FOXWHO

ok, finally got through to the WA licensing center... found out that the car must be over 25 years old and you must be a 'financial member' of a car club. You then need a letter from the club stating you are a financial member and every year the club must have an examiner check out your car for safety reasons. Simple as that.

As for my XW, i will end up paying $281/year for rego as opposed to $461 i pay at the moment. That's a huge saving!!!

Only issue i have is they do not provide a list of clubs they officially recognize, as opposed to when i went for my CAMS lisence they had a list of clubs they did recognize. Does anyone in WA know of any clubs that help make club rego's nice and easy?
Old 16-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

in the back of just cars magazine and I think part peddler, (check before you buy!) are lists of car clubs.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
satria
FOXWHO

thanks, gives me an excuse to buy another car mag without the mrs being upset hehehehe

"baby, i'm just trying to save us money!" lol
This user likes this post:
Old 18-05-2008, 01:44 AM   #7
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AFAIK Club "rego" is actually an advanced version of an unregistered vehicle permit. Technically the car isn't registered, it's just allowed to travel on public roads under certain conditions. Most insurance places cover this. Just check the TAC insurance is covered somehow? (not sure about that one?)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 05:22 AM   #8
cob115
COUPE WHORE

geeez our state laws covering clud /historic rego are a basket case,over here in south aus the car must be 30years old then it costs about $125 per year ,you can only drive it for 90days and fill in a log book each time
Sound like you guys in W.A are paying cheaper car rego than us! i think wer paying close to $600 per year for normal rego(theiving ba#$teds) also Satria you will get a far better deal with insurance to .let your insurance company know
cheers pat

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #9
1970galaxie
Fat 460

You'll also find that club rego in WA only allows for unmodified cars. You can only fit accessories to the car that were available for that particular era. eg you cant put an EFI 5 litre in an XY and get club rego.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post