Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Default Reported to the EPA

Yesterday I received a letter in the mail from the EPA stating that my car has been reported by a police officer as being too loud. So now I have to spend $35 going to get my car tested. I have had this done before to one my old cars which was an XE 351 and was way over the limit. But I'm pretty sure that my XR would be under the 90bd limit.
The thing is I can't remember exactly how they tested it. I think they put the meter at the end of the exhaust and rev the car to 3000rpm but I'm not sure. Has anyone else been reported and what did they do to test your car. It pi$$es me off that you can be reported for this regardless of how loud you car is and then having to spend $35 to get it tested.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
KenLee
supercarclub.com.au

Put a skidmark on the letter and send it back to EPA.
KenLee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
SVTVNM
Guzzler

I think it's 3300rpm.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
timz
My Boss has gas

can also incld you driving up to 60klm/hr and they get a reading while you are in 3rd gear as you drive past.
All depends on where you get the test done and how a.n.a.l they are
timz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

how about putting a 2nd muffler in for the test?

make a new set of flanges, bolt it up. do the test, drive home, unbolt it, and put it somewhere safe for next time.
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTDAH
Yesterday I received a letter in the mail from the EPA stating that my car has been reported by a police officer as being too loud. So now I have to spend $35 going to get my car tested. I have had this done before to one my old cars which was an XE 351 and was way over the limit. But I'm pretty sure that my XR would be under the 90bd limit.
The thing is I can't remember exactly how they tested it. I think they put the meter at the end of the exhaust and rev the car to 3000rpm but I'm not sure. Has anyone else been reported and what did they do to test your car. It pi$$es me off that you can be reported for this regardless of how loud you car is and then having to spend $35 to get it tested.
I recall they put the microphone to measure the noise at an offset angle of about 30 degrees and probably not more than half a metre from the exhaust. You'd have to try and look up the exact parameters. The noise is measured at 3/4 of the revs where maximum power is developed. So if maximum power for your car is at 4000rpm, then the testing speed is 3000rpm. My old XE 6 cyl was over and they just put a hotdog muffler in it - which really replaced the resonator that was left out of the sports system configuration I put in it.

The microphone should not be directly in line of the pipe otherwise readings would be inflated. Unless of course is if they have changed the test procedure in the last 10 years
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Found some info

Link to procedure for test: http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Repo...ustNoiseTe.doc

Testing speeds for most vehicles with specific models listed for cars 1970 to 2000: http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/Publications.nsf/2f1c2625731746aa4a256ce90001cbb5/e9a3b54956ac6b18ca256d16007b66e8/$FILE/317.1.pdf

Car FORD XR8 BOSS 260 DOHC 4V 03 260 KW 5408 V8 5250 test speed 3940 rpm

Vic approved testers http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/noise/testers.asp
Not bad for a #2 driver
Old 10-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the biggest rorts ever, I was pulled over for my old car and was was told I was 95Db instead of 94Db, I had to take the car to Daalder(spelling) exhaust in boxhill to be tested. The testing gear was something out of a bad 80s movie and I was officially still over, they kindly offered to fit a new exhaust for me at my cost. How kind of them I thought, I politely told them to shove it and took it back to the original exhaust fitter who lowered the noise level for me.

Both tests I had to pay for, I also had to pay to have the new muffler fitted as well as a fine for being 1 or 2 db's over. In the end I just left the new muffler on as I could not be bothered going through the hassle again.

The thing I find completely ridiculous about it all is the fact trucks, buses and numerous motorbikes were far noisier than my car but they got away with it. Anyway my advise to you is dont fight it, simply get a better muffler and just leave it.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$35 to have it tested, if its over then maybe a fine, then fix it at $? then another $35 to retest. Its going to add up if you don't get it right the first time.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By coincidence I also went to Daalder Exhausts in Box Hill and they measured me 2dB over, they fitted in hotdog muffler halfway along and it dropped under the limit to 93 (it was a Nov 82 build). If I took it away for the work, I would have had to pay for a re-test. They did the fix for $60 and re-tested for no extra cost.

I didn't get a fine for noisy exhaust - that might have something to do with being observed by someone to have a noisy exhaust - probably the police as I used to drive past Clayton Police station on the way to work and may have given it some revs in 1st a few times. Anyway, the first I knew about it was the letter in the mail.

I found out later that the original setup had a resonator and a muffler, when I replaced the old system Midas Mufflers left off the resonator when all I asked for was a sports system. I didn't know too much about it all then, but I expected them to fit an exhaust that was street legal! It was 2 years between the time I had it fitted and got reported, so there was little point going back to them with a complaint.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Old 10-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #11
Dezza
Parts bin special

It's crap. Who cares if a car is louder than stock. As davocol has said, trucks, buses, and motorbikes are far louder. I know of a few people who have been done, and it'll probably happen to me one day as well because my car doesn't sound stock anymore.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #12
AUIIForte

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does the dB limit apply to all vehicles? Because, as it was pointed out, motorbikes especially are extremely loud. If bikes have their own limit, then why is that? Thanks!
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIForte
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does the dB limit apply to all vehicles? Because, as it was pointed out, motorbikes especially are extremely loud. If bikes have their own limit, then why is that? Thanks!
Possibly because the exhaust doesn't run under the car - which shields some noise, the relatively short length allows for 1 muffler only and can't run a typical (car) muffler that runs in an up and back (2 U bends) configuration so the gases are slowed and noise is reduced. The bike muffler is almost always a straight through type. Trucks - much bigger engine, more power means more noise as more gas needs to be expelled.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Old 11-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
cowboy
Cowboy

I got reported the same way, got a letter from the EPA for the XD. I cheated outrageously to get through, put 14 stainless scourer pads up each pipe with a bit of wire to hold them in. Passed no worries, the guy knew I think but put me through anyway. Left the testing place, pulled the wire out, quick rev and the pads all spat out. Not exactly honest I know but at the time I had no money and it was my only car.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
ams77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bikes don't have any special consideration. When I bought my harley the guys said keep your original pipes when when you get done for noise. and so I rumbled out of the showroom noise and all. Never got pulled up but some mates did get the letter in the mail.
My son's R31 got done last Fri for noise at a breath test & copped a canary to boot right there and then. Had 10 days to fix it. As it wasn't via the EPA he had to get a RWC. You know what happens once a car goes up that hoist and you need a roady? $630 thank you very much and come again.
*** For Sale *** Red Flame Auto Allan Moffat Special #280
ams77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #16
Conrad
Banned

put a stock exhaust in, take it in, get the test done and then take it off and put ur aftermarket back on

or put a rev limiter on the car so they can't take it to 3300rpm ;)
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #17
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1 metre away, 45 degree angle.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 11:25 PM   #18
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

In Victoria anyone can report a vehicle to the EPA for being too loud or emitting too much smoke. In regard to noise generally police send in a spotting notice if the vehicle stands out from traffic around it. Police send in a spotting notice and usually you get a warning letter first and then the letter to get vehicle tested. If a vehicle get multiple reports sent in by police then the letter requiring a test will go out.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:31 AM   #19
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

My (lovely) neighbour dobbed me in for the XD, more than once.
Went to see an exhaust place who put the mic about 1m from the car. I was about 10 dB under the limit. Still had to pay and take a couple of hours off work, just to prove something i already knew.
Now i go past their place in 2nd every night when i finish work at 10:30.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #20
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCSEDAN
how about putting a 2nd muffler in for the test?

make a new set of flanges, bolt it up. do the test, drive home, unbolt it, and put it somewhere safe for next time.
I already have 3 mufflers and 2 cats. That's what I mean I'm sure my car isn't over the limit but I have to get it tested anyway. If it is under I will be sending a nice letter to the EPA requesting a refund as my car was incorrecly reported.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:05 AM   #21
3vXT

I'm going to smash my mailbox into a thousand pieces so i don't get one of these EPA letters. It'll happen sooner or later.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #22
kooky
WRX terrorist

As a modified WRX/STI owner I know all to well about EPA notices, the easiest way is to get a piece of perforated stainless steel plate and cut it to the shape of the last flange plate on your exhaust, bolt it in at the flange and sedatly drive down to the tester.

Remove it when you get home, all done
Old 12-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #23
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok try all of the above.
1. Bolt a hot dog on.
2. Stuff 14 stainless steel scourer pads in pipe, including the letter from the EPA.
3. Replace your muffler with stock muffler.
4. Make car rev limited to 3300rpm
5. If you still fail. Get one of those flame thrower exhausts fitted for the next test.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

If it was my system, I'd just get it tested as is. If you have a system that requires dicketry each time you're summoned to the EPA, seems hardly worth having the system in the first place.

Good luck.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #25
swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
One of the biggest rorts ever, I was pulled over for my old car and was was told I was 95Db instead of 94Db, I had to take the car to Daalder(spelling) exhaust in boxhill to be tested. The testing gear was something out of a bad 80s movie and I was officially still over, they kindly offered to fit a new exhaust for me at my cost. How kind of them I thought, I politely told them to shove it and took it back to the original exhaust fitter who lowered the noise level for me.

Both tests I had to pay for, I also had to pay to have the new muffler fitted as well as a fine for being 1 or 2 db's over. In the end I just left the new muffler on as I could not be bothered going through the hassle again.

The thing I find completely ridiculous about it all is the fact trucks, buses and numerous motorbikes were far noisier than my car but they got away with it. Anyway my advise to you is dont fight it, simply get a better muffler and just leave it.
you do realise that although it sounds like your only a little over the limit and have been hard done by, but the fact is 95db is twice as loud as 94db, so your car was actually very loud....and whilst i dont have a problem with loud cars as such, they have to have such laws, because if every car on the road was really loud it would really suck

for each extra db the noise is double
swapper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #26
TOASTED
JMM modded EF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy
I got reported the same way, got a letter from the EPA for the XD. I cheated outrageously to get through, put 14 stainless scourer pads up each pipe with a bit of wire to hold them in. Passed no worries, the guy knew I think but put me through anyway. Left the testing place, pulled the wire out, quick rev and the pads all spat out. Not exactly honest I know but at the time I had no money and it was my only car.
very well done

Guess the alcohol tax is turning people to mind altering drugs.
I drive : A heavily modified EF Fairmont with a JMM dev5 cam, worked head, 3.5" mandrel bent intake, exhaust, and a few other bits n pieces like a stally etc.

"She goes like a zirtek"

WANT A FAST FORD RING THIS BLOKE V V

Abbott Engines for HeadWork
20 years experience
PH Rob on (07) 5526 3883
TOASTED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #27
Neoxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapper
you do realise that although it sounds like your only a little over the limit and have been hard done by, but the fact is 95db is twice as loud as 94db, so your car was actually very loud....and whilst i dont have a problem with loud cars as such, they have to have such laws, because if every car on the road was really loud it would really suck

for each extra db the noise is double
I thought it was every 3 db the noise doubled.
Thats what i remember from my big stereo days.

'11 Nissan Navara D22 2.5L pickup!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by protd
because it looks gay, not just gay but mardi gra gay
Neoxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #28
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

its every 3db... not every db
Old 12-05-2008, 04:28 PM   #29
swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeStRaFe
its every 3db... not every db
my mistake....
swapper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #30
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordOwner
ok try all of the above.
1. Bolt a hot dog on.
2. Stuff 14 stainless steel scourer pads in pipe, including the letter from the EPA.
3. Replace your muffler with stock muffler.
4. Make car rev limited to 3300rpm
5. If you still fail. Get one of those flame thrower exhausts fitted for the next test.
LMAO.. flame thrower.. how funny..can picture it now... ahh needed that laugh today. Thanks.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post