Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 01-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Default Thinking of selling, whats it worth?

Hey guys,

Due to the ever increasing price of fuel and general costs of living, I am seriously thinking about parting with the Fairlane.

A quick trawl through carsales, still shows cars like mine listed at stupid prices ($10,000+) for stockers.

So, the question is, if you were in the market for an E-series 5.0 Fairlane what would you pay for mine?

If it does end up for sale it'll have the 17" Advantis, Firestones with plenty of tread, high quality suspension etc... 12 months reg & RWC and about 250,000ks with a near new gearbox.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I would think high single figures like 7 or 8 grand depending on interior condition (outside looks in excellent condition). But you would probably have to wait for the right buyer to come along (enthusiest) as they would be the only one who cares about the good quality suspension work. Plus lacking LPG would turn a few would be family buyers away.

5G would have it snapped up quick I'd imagine.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Yeah I was thinking 7 to 8 grand as well and keep in mind buyers would be worried about the price of fuel as well...........

I would list for 9 grand and see how you go

My Mate wants to sell his EL Fairmont Ghia Silver Auto V8 with Cappa interior and thinks he is going to get $10,000 for it as he has seen others advertised at that price............ BUT who knows he may get lucky........
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Allen

Cheers guys, I was thinking about the same...

It'll need a little bit of money spent on it for RWC... Things such as new brake rotors & pads, replace the exhaust and a few minor things that need to be fixed such as rolling the guards...

I'll have to wait and see how things pan out before I do anything...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 01-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say no more than 7.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not put it on LPG??

Regards,
Dave
Old 01-05-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Sounds like a lovely car mate, and good to hear you have a fair idea about the price.

I would guess at around the 6k mark depending on condition, but even then I dare say you'd need to be fairly patient.

If fuel costs are your only concern, you could always get it converted to LPG via the government rebate.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9

I would guess at around the 6k mark depending on condition, but even then I dare say you'd need to be fairly patient.
I agree.
I know yours has some mods,and looks very tidy,but I've seen LTD's take a long time to sell at 5k.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
Allen

Sounds fair enough to me, but in honesty fuel costs aren't the only reason for selling, loan repayments + full comp insurance + fuel + maintanence = too much for me at the moment.

As for LPG, I am just one of those people who just cannot bring themselves to do that to a car.

I think i will bide my time for the moment, before I do anything.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 02-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
Rob
Living the dream

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to offer you $5-6k... would be a bargain.

Must resist urge to buy another car!!!
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #11
SBR_1
soon to be a McDonald :D

Allen i dont see why you wouldnt get more, my grand father has one the same and its POS things falling off and everything, and he has been offered 5 for it( i dont know why), no comparing his to yours they are at oposit ends of the scale.I have seen how well you keep that car Allen, i dont think i have seen it dirty, its a beautiful car and would be sad to see it go.But i hope all works out.
would you have put a baby seat in it though....lol....its big enough
Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR_1
Allen i dont see why you wouldnt get more, my grand father has one the same and its POS things falling off and everything, and he has been offered 5 for it( i dont know why), no comparing his to yours they are at oposit ends of the scale.I have seen how well you keep that car Allen, i dont think i have seen it dirty, its a beautiful car and would be sad to see it go.But i hope all works out.
would you have put a baby seat in it though....lol....its big enough
Offered 5 as a trade in, or privately? If as a trade, we all know how that works. If it's privately, the person offering it doesn't know anything about what these things are worth.

My cousin had an immaculate DF 5lt LTD, and couldn't flog it for 6k 2 years ago.
As Fairlane's/LTD's age, they depreciate much quicker than the equivalent Falcon/Fairmont to the point where they're often worth the same or less than their Falcon counterpart.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #13
gtfpv
GT

to put this in proportion . i had an el xr8 , in top cond . with a body kit . 97 model . in 2004 i was getting trade in offers of 7000. i dont think you will get 7k for that now . try 5 to 6. but it's just my honest opinion .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #14
JG41XYGS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Offered 5 as a trade in, or privately? If as a trade, we all know how that works. If it's privately, the person offering it doesn't know anything about what these things are worth.

My cousin had an immaculate DF 5lt LTD, and couldn't flog it for 6k 2 years ago.
""As Fairlane's/LTD's age, they depreciate much quicker than the equivalent Falcon/Fairmont to the point where they're often worth the same or less than their Falcon counterpart"".
:

since when?! red book as a guide had $1100+ over a Fairmont Ghia.

an LTD will always (well not always, but if you know fords and want to buy, you most likely expect to pay more for a Fairlane or LTD) be worth at least a minimum $500 more than a Falcon or Fairmont. of same age, kms, engine size and condition.

try telling a dealer that an LTD is worth only the same money as a Falcon with the same Km's and condition!

they are a longer wheel base and have different interior, suspension etc etc over and above what Fairmont Ghia's have to offer.

and as for trade ins a dealer will most of the time give you $1000 -$2500 less than market value so that they can sell them at market value and still make big profits. unless the car you want to buy off them has a big enough mark up already so as to offer you a "generous" trade in to appear to be a good/fair dealer.
JG41XYGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #15
SBR_1
soon to be a McDonald :D

Well thats wat happened, he still has the car and thats all i know. If u dont believe me then fine... i wont give my 2cents worth then...
Old 02-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #16
JG41XYGS
Banned

Quote:
Well thats wat happened, he still has the car and thats all i know. If u dont believe me then fine... i wont give my 2cents worth then...

Huh, who is that intended for?
Old 03-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #17
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG41XYGS
Huh, who is that intended for?
I think it was intended for private9........................

Alot of good points in this thread but if I was going to try and sell it I would try at a high value first then if no bites you may end up at 5k to 6k.........

I remember Nicko getting huge dollars for his monty when I thought his price was way over what they were selling for but he got the dollars, all comes to what the buyer wants.........

They want a cheap car with wear and tear then yeah you can pick on up for less dollars but if you want one in Awesome Conditon then you will have to pay a higher price - eveyone knows this!
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #18
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Dunno if that's aimed at me or not, but I wasn't questioning it at all. I have no doubt at all he was offered 5 for it, I was merely interested whether that was as a trade or through a private sale.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #19
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG41XYGS
:

since when?! red book as a guide had $1100+ over a Fairmont Ghia.

an LTD will always (well not always, but if you know fords and want to buy, you most likely expect to pay more for a Fairlane or LTD) be worth at least a minimum $500 more than a Falcon or Fairmont. of same age, kms, engine size and condition.

try telling a dealer that an LTD is worth only the same money as a Falcon with the same Km's and condition!

they are a longer wheel base and have different interior, suspension etc etc over and above what Fairmont Ghia's have to offer.

and as for trade ins a dealer will most of the time give you $1000 -$2500 less than market value so that they can sell them at market value and still make big profits. unless the car you want to buy off them has a big enough mark up already so as to offer you a "generous" trade in to appear to be a good/fair dealer.
Agree with what you're saying with trade ins - that's basically what I was alluding to earlier.

Where I'm talking about them depreciating quickly, look at how similar prices are for an E-series Fairlane/LTD vs a Fairmont Ghia. Even try comparing AU Fairlane prices with an AU Fairmont Ghia, and then remember the price difference when new.

Maybe I'm wrong in saying that in general they're worth less, (although they can be, just like any other car depending on condition) but they are definitely harder to sell.

In the sheltered world of the e-series enthusiastic, we appreciate the extra features, the longer wheelbase etc. To the general public, it's just another old POS on the road, and for those that are aware of them, they're considered a grandpa car.

Anyhow, back on topic, Fairlane_Ghia, your car looks very nice, so hopefully you keep it!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #20
gngtho
Banned

well here in little old adelaide if you were to trade in the yards will give you no more that 3-4 if your lucky.

But when it comes to selling it to you they will sertainly try to flog it of for 6-10g's
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 11:27 PM   #21
JG41XYGS
Banned

"private9
"Where I'm talking about them depreciating quickly,

To the general public, it's just another old POS on the road, and for those that are aware of them, they're considered a grandpa car."

Yes well i'd not buy a new car full stop. they drop by 1/2 new price when you drive it home.

new price verses a low km second hand. why buy new.

GRAND PA car? NOT! .

mine's a black 91 DC LTD 5.0 sports exhaust on 17" and most of the guys like the look and sound. young and old. was lowered but country roads suck!! :

yes anyway back to fairlane_ghia's problem: i hope you find some one to adopt your ride, and appreciate it for what it is!
Old 04-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #22
gngtho
Banned

Mate if i had the cash id flat out give you 7-8 just because i love those cars and it looks great.

But sorry i dont have the cash...
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #23
lamborghinifan

i just bought an nl 4.0 (well march) and paid 5g for it. imac in and out, with 150000k's. in qld. ed. having said that he was trying to sell for 3 months before we came along. but it was the cheapest of the bunch (and the tidiest??) that i was looking at.
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #24
Bobman
Regulator

While looking at NF / NL Ghias, the prices were between $1000 up to $8000.

LTDs were going for $5000 - $10,000 (have seen EL Ghias go for more).

As for NA/NC. They go for between $400 and $3000 (if you're lucky). So the reality is, they're not worth that much.

Prices for non-LPG ones have gone down somewhat. Kilometres is another thing.

Car looks great though, Fairlane_Ghia. I wish you the best of luck with a generous sale.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)