Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-01-2008, 02:49 AM   #1
no1else
Starter Motor

Default Au3 Xr8 V Ba Xr6t

Hey guys,

Iam currently looking at buying either BA XR6 Turbo or a AU3 XR8, the problem iam having is finding good reviews of the AU iam a reader of motor and wheels, so if anyone has an older magazine with a review in it i would happily buy it off ya.

Also if anyone has a good review on the net could they please post about it. I would greatly appreciated anyones views on the good points/ bad points of the two cars iam looking at compared to each other.

Thanks for reading my post and i hope some of you out there can help me lol.

Old 25-01-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey,
here's a good review of the au3 xr8. http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=11509
i was in the same boat as you as i couldn't decide whether to buy a xr turbo or the au xr8. i ended up getting the xr8 and i am now glad that i went for the 8. they are both great cars and the only part that can split them is if you want a turbo or a v8.

AU3 Fairmont I6
Whiteline swaybars, FPV Typhoon Rims, Superlows, Custom Intake Piping, Modified BA XR8 Airbox, Big Stereo

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual
1/4 Mile: 13.8 @ 100MPH (161km/h)

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
1/4 Mile: 13.0 @ 107MPH (172km/h)
Old 25-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
DougM

I have owned both as well......Both are great to drive and the V8 has the best sound but as you would expect the BA is a step ahead......The turbo with a custom tune was good for 250rwkw and the fuel consumption is way better than the AU XR8....The XR8 with a custom tune was good for 184rwkw.....The XR8 was using 17-19litres /100km in the city where the turbo was using 12-14litres/100km.

One thing is for sure, the xr8 always felt exciting due to the exhaust note where the turbo had to be going really fast to be fun....

Good luck.....They're both excellent cars.....
Old 25-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

get a cat back or more on the Xr6T and they sound awesome though
Old 25-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
XR6 Hulk

Get the XR6T. Newer CAr BA plus more performance.

I dont think they are in the same boat really. An AU XR8 shouldnt sit at the same table as the T. If anything the T has been fighting the battle against the GEN3 and Now GEN4 and winning whereas the AU used to get thumped every comparo.
Old 25-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
TIC-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can get a turbo for around 20-23k.

or get a AU3 XR8 for 15K and turbo or supercharge it :

but as people said the AU is older and have more km's on them then most of the BA turbos.

i have an AU3 xr8(103k) and a BA2 XR6(70k) , when i get out of the BA(company car) and get in to the AU it feels "loose" in the steering, rear end, seats arn't as supportive.
but hey i am not complaining the 220KW XR8 is "RAW" and has a bit of an old school feel to it.
Old 25-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Thumped in times maybe (albiet not by much), but when it comes to handling, the AU would win hands down. To me I see the AU as a drivers car unlike a VT/X which was a "look at me I can go fast in a straight line" kinda car.

Oo\===/oO
Old 25-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
RATT
In a Pug..

For power and acceleration- XR6 Turbo

For a soundtrack to die for and fun to drive on Great Ocean Rd etc - AUIII XR8
Old 25-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
For power and acceleration- XR6 Turbo

For a soundtrack to die for and fun to drive on Great Ocean Rd etc - AUIII XR8
And I concur.

Oo\===/oO
Old 25-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
TIC-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here is the fastest time recorder a motor magazine for a 220kw manual xr8.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 25-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id go the XR6T...

leave the AU to the stevie wonders of the world :

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 25-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
TIC-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and here is the data sheet for a BA1 XR6 Turbo( tested on a different day,a year later of course)

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 25-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #13
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does .02 or .03 of a second mean that much to you? Go the AuIII XR8; plenty of power, more personality and more value. They are a much less common site than B-series XRs and series 3's are the AU at it's finest hour (BA's certainly aren't the B-series at it's best).
Old 25-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
plext
Forum Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
Id go the XR6T...

leave the AU to the stevie wonders of the world :
Says the person with an Alfa that rusts faster than it goes and has the visual appeal of a kleenex box designed by the camel committee, while sounding like a bandsaw which has lost a few teeth.

It's not nice when people attack your choice of vehicle is it?

Plenty of members here love their AU's and have picked them over later models as they actually prefer them. Having an opinion is fine, expressing it in such a negative manner which is likely to offend other members is not.

No, I don't own one.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
fordAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by plext
Says the person with an Alfa that rusts faster than it goes and has the visual appeal of a kleenex box designed by the camel committee, while sounding like a bandsaw which has lost a few teeth.
funniest thing I have read on the forum in a long time.

To the original poster you will get a lot of different opinions, especially from those who don't own or havent driven either.

Both very good vehicles which offer a lot of motoring for not much cost.

Both similar factory performance but the vehicles behave very differently, my preference is the AU XR8, drive both and decide for yourself.
Old 25-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #16
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id get the XR8, only becuase of the sound and handling...

My friend has a BFII XR6T and even he thinks the handling isnt as good as my other mates AUIIIXR8 (both have driven each others cars)
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Old 25-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #17
Director

AHHH I too had a similar dilema......my advice...... a little extra coin and get a T3 TS50, awesome car. I love the other two as well (perhaps like a cousins but love the T3 like a brother!!)
Check the "T series appreciation room" section in the forum (T for Tickford not turbo)

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Old 25-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #18
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

TIC-302s magazine clip is pretty indicative of the tests of the day. The AUIII XR8 was well powered although it was consistantly beaten by the SS in a straight line, but it's real forte was great handling and a great ride. Plus it was a better drive both gearbox wise as well as how the engine put the power down.

As to how it compares to the XR6T though..... Differen't eras really. You will probably find the AU feels a little lighter on it's feet (because it weighs less), but the XR6 is no poor handler either.

Just test drive both ans see which you prefer.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Old 25-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #19
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are both nice cars. You cant lose either way if you ask me. I was in the same boat as you not that long ago actually. I went with the turbo. I liked the look of the turbo better and could not justify owning an inferior car simply for an exhaust note (although it is a bloody nice note....).

Drive both and find out which does it for you.

Best of luck
Old 25-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #20
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It's not nice when people attack your choice of vehicle is it?

Plenty of members here love their AU's and have picked them over later models as they actually prefer them. Having an opinion is fine, expressing it in such a negative manner which is likely to offend other members is not.

No, I don't own one.

actually, I don't particularily care....i widely acknowledge its an ugly, poorly built rusty p.o.s....dosent stop me loving it, however...

I just suppose it comes down to how sensitive you are, I would have thought people would have seen that as a light hearted dig....or are jokes and/or sense of humor not allowed?

-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 25-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #21
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1else
Hey guys,

Iam currently looking at buying either BA XR6 Turbo or a AU3 XR8, the problem iam having is finding good reviews of the AU iam a reader of motor and wheels, so if anyone has an older magazine with a review in it i would happily buy it off ya.

Also if anyone has a good review on the net could they please post about it. I would greatly appreciated anyones views on the good points/ bad points of the two cars iam looking at compared to each other.

Thanks for reading my post and i hope some of you out there can help me lol.
I have never driven a BA turbo, but my AU1 250kw XR8 is a pearler! It's a fantastic car and in the correct hands (like any car I suppose) will last for ever. Just sitting at lights camming over like a real muscle car, I have had people ask me what is wrong with my car. I don't beleive they ever desrved the negative press they got because of the FORTE.
Old 25-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #22
plext
Forum Director

While it may be convenient for you to hide behind the humour shield, there are plenty who will not see it as funny and will take offence.

I'm asking you to consider this before making such comments, no matter if you feel it is light hearted banter, intent is often obscured or misconstrued in a textual environment. Further, just because you don't mind if people slag off your car, doesn't mean all people take so kindly to it.
Old 25-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #23
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
While it may be convenient for you to hide behind the humour shield, there are plenty who will not see it as funny and will take offence.

I'm asking you to consider this before making such comments, no matter if you feel it is light hearted banter, intent is often obscured or misconstrued in a textual environment. Further, just because you don't mind if people slag off your car, doesn't mean all people take so kindly to it.

Ok.

Point taken, I have noticed some people over here do get rather shirty at the mere mention of the fact there car isnt the be all and end all(more so that the other automotive forums i frequent...hence my comment about sensitivity)

Anyhow....

has the OP considered throwing the BA XR8 into the mix?

-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 25-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #24
aualright

Didn't Tickford enhance the XRs more thoroughly than FPV in regards to strengthening engine and driveline components? I realise the B-series pumps out more power but my impression was that they also 'break' easier as more parts are shared with their lower spec siblings...

Old 25-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #25
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Mate, FPV no longer manufacture the XR models- that rests purely on FORD.
Old 25-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #26
MRJUCY
Fordless

I drive a T2 which is the same running gear as the series 3 XR8 & a XR6 Turbo.
Straight line there isn't much in it either way they just go about it differently but the Turbo would get more bang for your buck if you're going to mod it.
The AU is lighter & has a better suspension design so has better steering, handling & fuel economy.
I like the BAF interiors but prefer the AU exterior styling, the V8's character & growl to the 6's howl so overall prefer the AU but neither is decisively better it's just which you personally prefer owning & driving so I'd have a few test drives of both to make up your own mind.
Old 25-01-2008, 03:41 PM   #27
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Well said MRJUCY......

TBH make up your mind which type of displacement really tickles your fancy, not comparing "apples with apples".
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 25-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #28
matty220

I own an 01 xr8 220 and an 07 bf2 xt as my company car i know its hard to compare but one area where the b series lacks is in build quality its so inconsistant panels dont line up interior panels wobbly the au is older but more exciting and so much better to drive Plus better build quality just little things make the difference like no foot rest for example plus the fact the au stands out in a crowd where as the BA looks very little different to an xt GO THE AU
Old 25-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #29
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty220
I own an 01 xr8 220 and an 07 bf2 xt as my company car i know its hard to compare but one area where the b series lacks is in build quality its so inconsistant panels dont line up interior panels wobbly the au is older but more exciting and so much better to drive Plus better build quality just little things make the difference like no foot rest for example plus the fact the au stands out in a crowd where as the BA looks very little different to an xt GO THE AU
no offence, and i agree with the build quality comments, but comparing an Au3 XR8 to a BF XT is like comparing a dog to a cat.. completely different kettles of fish.
Old 25-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #30
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm also looking at AUIII XR8 and BA XR6T. I've not driven either yet, but I can't see myself getting a T simply due to them being a bit more expensive for decent examples. One disappointment with the AU is that it doesn't even have TC as an option, which is pretty poor I rekon. The T has it standard, but the non-linear power delivery might necessitate that.
The driving forces behind me wanting the AU are:
it's lighter (and has more potential te become lighter still)
"better" IRS setup
"sharper" handling
rarity
Closed Thread