Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hearing protection for kids at motorsport events

Hey All,

Can anyone offer any tips on giving your kids good hearing protection when attending a motorsport event?

I think my 5 year old is going to get a taste of Indy this weekend but I want to protect his hearing.

Unsure how he'll go with in the ear plugs, I thought maybe going to Bunnings to buy some over ear muff style protection?

Anyone with tips?

Cheers,
Coupsta

XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Motorsport events have decibel levels damaging to ears... everyone should use hearing protection if you treasure your hearing.

Just get those foam ones from the chemist.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like it when you can still hear the cars in your head when you go to sleep that night. i can imagine i am still at the track
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

try a set of plugs first, if he doesnt like them its ear muffs
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

ohhhh and theres also softer plugs you can get
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I give my young fella ear muffs that are double lined with foam. They normally come with single lined foam. I fit an extra layer.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also remember, the Indy Cars are probably 50% louder than a V8SC, so if you have heard the V8's think about the additional noise... and try not to locate yourself SMACK BANG in a gear change point, the POP noise, can make ear drums do the same... ITs amazing how loud they are at Indy at the 3-4 & 4-5 change down the front 'Straight' (only about 100 metres apart too!)

But in all seriousness, get some Commercial grade ear buds, if you dont want him to wear ear muffs, OR get some high Quality ear muffs from a place like BOC gas and gear... most safety gear if heavily subsidised... i.e. Bolle Glasses are only $30 or so...
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #8
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

My youngest boy asks for earmuffs for any loud noises, the tractor, the boat & any motorsports.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
richardxr8

There are proper 'junior' style earmuffs available from sporting shooter type stores (gunshops), but it may take a while for 'junior' to get used to 'em !
The soft disposable earplug types are much cheaper though, but harder to get them to stay in (little fingers keep playing with em...!!)
richardxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

V8SC's are relatively quiet these days with the noise polition laws and the big mufflers they run.. Group C used to be awesome to listen to.

Old 16-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #11
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Indy's are still loud though.

Protecting hearing is always a good thing. May not be the 'coolest', but hey, i'm 19 and lost half my hearing already. Sucks major wang.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #12
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a cpl of sets of earmuffs for the kids whenever we go up to WSID. They love to get on the fence when Grp 1 are on so its the only way I`ll let them do it.
Old 16-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #13
ingall9

I reckon some events should hand out those squishy plugs at the gate, i mean what is a pair worth 10c, and most places you pay $20 plus, no idea what it would cost to get into indy. I reckon you need industrial protection at the top fuelers, man those things are loud, when you can see the air particles vibrating in front of you then the noise wave hits you in the chest you know its loud.

My son thinks the ear muffs in the shed are talky talkies like they use in Bob the builder so i have no worries getting him to wear them.
ingall9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 11:35 PM   #14
smee323
Yes it is mine...

Peltor sell kids earmuffs.
They make excellent helmets, as well as pilot gear.

Have a look here.
http://www.outdoorkids.com.au/76.html

Last edited by smee323; 16-10-2007 at 11:36 PM. Reason: changed page since last link
smee323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #15
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Excellent - thanks heaps for everyones replies.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #16
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my kids prefer to use the adult ear muffs (the 3 year old calls them ear mails for some reason). We started with ear plugs that came with a plastic band that went over the head, but they got sore ears after a few hours. The ear plugs we got sick of putting them back in all the time.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #17
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

I work in the building industry so loud noises come with the job,I have found wearing ear muffs for long periods of time especially when it is hot become very uncomfortable,ear plugs are the go mate especially the type with the string between the two plugs,you are less likely to lose that type.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #18
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our youngest has problems with ear infections and cant get water in them at all ..... he has ear plugs that are made of a soft rubberry kind of material and to keep them secured he wears a headband made of that skisuit material. They do actually dampen the noise considerably ..... that or he just plays deaf when he has them on :P

He thinks he looks cool & has never tried to remove it. This could work for your youngster as well ....... as long as they think they look cool they will go with it
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #19
savagE
Complete ****** n bogan

They sell earplugs at the Indy and yeah, you do need them as them Indy cars are loud.
savagE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #20
Ringo
I see you....

If your ever caught short for ear plugs then get some loo paper and roll it up on itself tightly, wet the end with some water and shorten it to the same size as a proper foam plug then stick it on your ear.

As a 'band aid' $0.00 cost solution its work OK....
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #21
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
If your ever caught short for ear plugs then get some loo paper and roll it up on itself tightly, wet the end with some water and shorten it to the same size as a proper foam plug then stick it on your ear.

As a 'band aid' $0.00 cost solution its work OK....
Fingers are even easier!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #22
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

durry butts
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post