Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #1
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Default petrol fill up issues

I have an AU series 1 XR6 and the problem its has is that when ever I try to put fuel in it, the bowser clicks out. This has gotten worse of late to the extent that I can only hold the triger on a small amount and it still keeps clicking the bowser out. Does anyone know how to fix this problem.

4VCLEVO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
stiddy
Banned

lol mine does that sometimes.. you have to get it on a certain angle.. just move it around, up down left right diagonals.. you'll eventually find the sweet spot hahaha
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #3
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah if you give it a wiggle and just try and expose a little gap to let air in it doesn't do it
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
4VCLEVO
XA GT

I've been doing that for 2 years, found the sweet spot by pulling it till it was almost out then turn it toward the back of the car, now that dosnt work anymore ether.
Old 29-06-2007, 12:35 AM   #5
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Mines a bit like that.

Shove it in and itll go awesome untill its nearly full. Then it'll click off. OTHER people have made the mistake that its full when it really isnt. Pull it out and rearange it and you can sometimes fit another 15 bucks in or more. Its weird. I had a similar thing with my last car but nothing this bad.

Its something you get used to but maybe theres a kink in your tube or something?
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 12:42 AM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

mine does that sometimes. i find that you just pull the handle on the filler to the point just before it clicks off. usually 2/3 to 3/4's of the way. it takes aaagggeeessss to fill up. but it works.
Old 29-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
janek
Ripping it up

omg mines the same... the metal flap is stuck down the filler somewhere :S stupid jerrycans lol

ill et one of those springy claw removry things and try to pull it out lol
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the same issue but only on certain bowsers, some are fine but theres 2 or 3 problem ones
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

I find its only certain bowsers as well, some flow really quickly and cut off more than others

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
4VCLEVO
XA GT

All of the ways in which everyone so far in this thread has told me to solve this problem no longer works.
I have been using all the above ways for 2 years and have been able to cope just fine, I use to find that holding it on a certain angle and with the triger 3/4 pulled it would work. But now the problem has gotten realy bad, to the extent that it does not matter which servo I go to (even the ones that use to work) I can only pull the triger on about 5mm and it still clicks out all the time. The other cars at the servo can fill there tanks in the same time that I put $10 in. Filling the tank is a thing of the past as it would take forever.
Old 29-06-2007, 09:55 PM   #11
falzoony
Rockin '67

My car does this to. When your empty it take forever to fill up, and if it's busy people start gettin impatient.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #12
frd_crzer
:D:D

i just put it in and then use the petrol cap to keep the bowser handle pushed in and it just sits there and it goes in without clicking . ive done that for about 3 years never failed for me
Old 29-06-2007, 11:41 PM   #13
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I remember reading something about this a few years ago and it had details on how to actually fix the problem. Of course, I can't remember what the solution is though! Sorry!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2007, 01:04 PM   #14
sly
Sly like a G6

It's probably something to do with the charcoal canister that filters the tank fumes. I always used to spend the time to fill my wagon to the brim, usually 15 litres and 10 minutes more than first cutoff. At about 100,000k's it started to run rich as buggery for the first 15km after filling. I reckon I was saturating the canister.

The Ford dealer couldn't be bothered to check/replace the canister or any valves, vac lines etc in the vapour system, just mumbled something about stopping when the nozzle clicked off for the 3rd time. I cut back to 10 litres after 1st clickoff which has stopped it running rich. Those 10 litres still take a lot of time though.

Maybe the cause of the sudden slow fill problems is a valve in the vapour control system or the canister is saturated?
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #15
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres actually a lil flap inside the filler neck, you have to replace the neck to fix this problem. EVENTUALLY you won't be able to get any fuel in it at all. Only cost 40 bucks for a brand new neck from Ford. The flap is designed to stop people siphoning your tank but when it goes it blocks inwards as well..

Old Rides:
BF MkII 07 XR6 , Seduce in colour.... : Growler Airbox, custom exhaust and other goodies
AUII TE-FORTE
Monsoon Blue,Full Cobra Performance exhaust system, G+D CAI, Crow Cam, Tickford Suspension, TE50 Kit, RDA Slotteds, Ridin on Advanti 18's
rayner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #16
SVR73
Mr Polish

Have never had a problem with my XR6
Old 03-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #17
MRJUCY
Fordless

I think the servo you use can make a difference too depending on what they've got the flow rate set at or there sensitivity to clicking off.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #18
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I just screw the nozzle in ... pull the trigger and lock it in place ... then i clean all the windows ... check fluid levels ... wait around and tap my fingers ... 90L later it stops and I click it off ... unscrew nozzle ... go in and pay my $45 .... and then drive for another 600-700km .... and repeat the practice.

LPG is gooooooood.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #19
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I just screw the nozzle in ... pull the trigger and lock it in place ... then i clean all the windows ... check fluid levels ... wait around and tap my fingers ... 90L later it stops and I click it off ... unscrew nozzle ... go in and pay my $45 .... and then drive for another 600-700km .... and repeat the practice.

LPG is gooooooood.
see reading that makes me want to convert to LPG. but i hate the stuff hahahaha i need my boot space, and i just dont like it. even if it is cheaper and better for the environment :P
Old 03-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #20
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

years ago I had a Gilbarco fitter came through work.

We were talking in general terms about servo pumps, storage, fire hazards etc etc.

Anyhoo he told me that the reason a lot of nozzles click off is that the end of the nozzle has in some way been damaged - dropped and out of round, or a burr or whatever. Had something to do with the way the fuel is sucked through the nozzle (venturi effect??).

Obviously there is more to it for those cars that cannot fill from *any* nozzle but the above may explain the odd one here and there.

edit: or it could be the Bernoulli principle, lol
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_263.html

Last edited by ronwest; 03-07-2007 at 03:05 PM.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #21
jones_aus

i dont know what the setup is on cars, but boats have breather holes on the fuel tannk, to allow air to escape as fuel comes in. sometimes the breather would get clogged up, and you would have to stick your mouth over it and blow in it to unblock it. the fuel would run freely after that.

maybe a breather pipe is blocked?
jones_aus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 03:35 PM   #22
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my AU dosnt do this, but ever since lowering the EL it does it at most bowsers.
I find usually pulling the nozzle out a bit (ie not pushing it all the way in), usually works
Old 03-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #23
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

same thing happens on my work tritons,so its not specific to your AU, dont worry in that sense.

but this thread has been done before, have a search and you might find more info.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #24
iwannaford

I use the cap in the handle trick, it may take as long, but at least its pumping by itself. And gives you time to clean your windscreen.
iwannaford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #25
lostdude

omg i have this problem too, its stupid when theres a line behind you and it looks like your taking your time filling up and people start to look at you with disapproval : when infact its the stupid car.
someone mentioned above about replacing the hose thing, might give that a try.
lostdude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #26
AUTickford
XD197

As stated a coupla times already in this post,the flap has broken off and is down in the neck somewhere.I had this problem until i got a piece of wire in the neck and maneuvered it around till it moved the flap then more problems.Careful not to get the coathanger stuck haha i neraly did
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #27
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannaford
I use the cap in the handle trick, it may take as long, but at least its pumping by itself. And gives you time to clean your windscreen.
I thought this was a BIG NO NO now??? I used to do it a few years ago, but stopped after getting told at every station not to do it.