Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
MGM
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default should my car have passed R/W?

hi guys, im getting my diff rebuilt by my mechanic and he rang me today saying that my ute has been lowered dodgey. they have heated up the leaf springs to let them sag, there isnt any lowering blocks in it he said. i only have 50mm of travel before i slam the bumpstops.

when i bought the car it was sold to me with a vicroads roadworthy. it passed the height and everything but should they have picked that up when they did it?

my mate got a roadworthy done and didnt pass because his bumpstops were a bit loose and worn. mine are worn about an inch in the shape of the axle

MGM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Probably not, but yeah i treat RWC's as absolutely useless unless i know the mechanic.

Ive seen RWC's clear absolute shockers, not to mention the EL i looked at thats front suspension was absolutely shagged, rotors warped yet passed and even had a blown high brake light yet RWC, no problems

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

but if the RWC passed it then that mechanic is now liable to fix it!! take it back to him....

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

exactly what S3SR said, I dont know if he is "liable" but threaten him nicely with the option of fixing it, or you taking a trip to Vic Roads and having a chat with them which could result in him losing his RWC testing rights.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 09:13 PM   #5
MGM
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats what i was thinking but just wanted some other advice. il call him tomorro and see what the go is. he should have seen it. the bumpstops are pretty much gone. thanks guys
Old 20-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

How long ago did you get the RWC done?

How did the mechanic know they have been lowered by heating the spring as opposed to just worn out (leaf springs do loose their tension over time and flatten out or even bend up)
The correct way to lower a leaf spring car is not by using lowering blocks, but by having the leafs reset (by seperating and reshaping with heat) which will then flatten the spring out and how flat they are depends on how much the car gets lowered

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

if it is more than 30 days after the roadworthy was done, i dont like your chances even if you go to vic roads. if it had been heated up then yes i shouldn't have passed roadworthy. if it is still within the 30 days go back to the mechanic that gave the rwc and tell em to fix it (nicely) otherwise go to vicroads asap and get them to look into the matter further.but first you must go to the issuer of the rxc before you go to vic roads
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 10:11 PM   #8
MGM
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nah its been over 30 days. ive had the car about a month and a half. not to sure how my mechanic knows. he rang me after he got my diff out to rebuild it. should i just get the leafs reset? i like how it sits now, its just way to bumpy though
Old 20-06-2007, 11:41 PM   #9
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Lol at 50mm bumpstop travel. I wish i had that much travel.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2007, 11:57 PM   #10
Flouro_Joe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAadam
Lol at 50mm bumpstop travel. I wish i had that much travel.
Imagine if you ever want to carry load in your ute. They sag like nothing else at the best of times compared to a Hilux or similar.
Flouro_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 12:08 AM   #11
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flouro_Joe
Imagine if you ever want to carry load in your ute. They sag like nothing else at the best of times compared to a Hilux or similar.
They arent that bad mate, but then you cannot compare an XR sporty ute to a 1 tonne hilux...

Mine would have about that much between the diff and bumpstops, if that, lol, and has carried load heaps of times and not even hit the bump stops.

My leafs have been reset atleast 3" lower than XR height, and on the ute they look upside down, but they still work well and can handle a decent load, not 1 tonne, but 1/2 tonne easily.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 08:37 AM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

Post up pix, I'd like to see these springs.

Are they unsafe?
Is the car legally low?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #13
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Mate, I know how you feel. Just took my "lane to get a RWC check today. Came back with half a page of serious stuff, yet it only got it's last RWC by the previous owner in early April before I bought it. And I have only driven it about 200kms since I've had it so none of the problems were my doing.

Was talking to the mechanic and he said Vic roads can be all over the place with inspections. He says if he picks something borderline they ask him why he picked on it, but if he doesn't pick it they have a go at him for not picking it. Apparently they need to instigate some clear rules and guidelines so there is no variation.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post