Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
SE Ute

Default Does your GPS have camera & school zone warnings? Opinions wanted.

I'm looking at GPS units that warn of speed cameras, school zones etc. I saw supercheap had the little Uniden units for $49, but they were all sold out by the time i got onto it, but it got me looking at all of the different units. I'm not really fussed about a navigation function, i'm pretty good with a melways, but i think the 'safety' warnings on some of these units would be pretty good and handy. I always get caught out by school zones, never aware of the time, i think one of these units would be a good reminder for me.

I'm just after peoples opinions of their units, if they have these 'safety' functions, how do you find them, are the warnings correct, do you think it's a good thing to have?

Also anyone with a road angel unit, do you think the warnings are worth subscribing to, it's about $120 a year, is it worth it? Do the warnings change much? People with Uniden units, the updates are free, are the locations all correct and accurate, just wondering if it's worth spending the extra for a road angel unit. If you have other brand navigators - garmin, tomtom, navman, how do you find the warnings? As far as i can tell each brand uses it's own data, i'm assuming some are better than others.

Thanks guys, i'm hoping real users will be able to help me out, reviews on some of these units are a bit hard to find.

SE Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
Kenster

My dad got a navman i know its alert speed camera and not sure about the school zone but most of these thing you are looking im sure you could find with alot of the GPS.

I know the most recommend is a Navman and Tom Tom they get good review and user friendly

I hope that help you
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as i know its only the road angel that does.

I've got a navman ICN 720 and it does everything but school zones. Has speed camera locations, but not worth a pinch of $#!^ in my opinion as many of the cameras have been installed since the 2006 Map updates.

As far as i know, many of the different brands use the whereis maps, so mapping is the same, but i've never been in a car with 1 of the other units to know about the warnings. Navman gives a chime, and closing distance to the camera with a little camera icon marked on the map.

Whatever you do, my advice is to buy 1 with the biggest screen you can afford. If you get a big screen, its only a really quick glance to see where you're going. If you're coming up to a turn followed quickly by another turn its really handy to see it on the map so you're set up in the correct lane etc. If you just follow the voice or the next direction arrow you're not driving very far ahead of yourself and can sometimes get caught out.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
FPVTurboTaxi

i have a mio digi walker

it has school zones , speed camera and red light cameras
it tells u when u are over the speed limit , one of the best things i like is one click to add a speed camera .l love it

i have had it 2 years and love it

For Sale QLD Number Plates 06-XRF $550 PM me
FPVTurboTaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
QualityCounts

I have the Garmin Nuvi 660.
Australian speed camera, red light camera and school zone POIs could be downloaded from the Garmin website for free.
QualityCounts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

how much all these cost? :-S
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 11:11 PM   #7
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I Paid $1099, use it dialy, 1 of the handiest things i've bought. Especially interstate.
Old 14-06-2007, 12:38 AM   #8
Miller
It's Millertime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Ute
I'm looking at GPS units that warn of speed cameras, school zones etc. I saw supercheap had the little Uniden units for $49
I have that exact gps and no it doesn't have school zones.

It has black spots if you choose to upload them, but they are a pain in the ***. They have red light cameras and speed cameras but no school zones.

My old man has one as well, and has all the school zones he passes daily programmed in.
Old 14-06-2007, 12:40 AM   #9
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just bought 2 Tomtom 710 units for my fire brigade, their supposed to have school zones and speed limits on them - I believe they can be downloaded from the Tomtom site.

Edit - from Dick Smith Electronics: AVAILABLE additional POI (does not come with standard unit software) - Alerts or warnings for Red Light Camera, Speed Camera and School Zones etc. To obtain this update simply send an email request to australia@tomtom.com and follow the instructions you will receive by reply email or Call 'TomTom Support' (02) 8875 1700 to request available 'Free' download.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #10
desGT

Yes, I have a Road Angel and think they are great. Not 100% accurate, but very close, particularly in the city (I am in Melb). Bit slack on school zones in the country.

The unit not only warns about school zones, but only during the hours sign-posted though obviously it does not know about public holidays. Ditto school hols, but I just turn off/on this function during this period.

All warnings include screen colour changes as well as beeps (all configurable). Btw I am on my 2nd RA - had the basic warning unit and have upgraded to the navigator series when released. Bought my sons the basic unit for their cars.

They are continually updating their database which is why you pay $10/month update service. That's about 33c/day. It is a professional service. Again, they are continually adding and updating, so not perfect.

I do not drive based on RA, but sometimes one does get distracted (by other motorists and their antics) and the RA is a friendly reminder when approaching a revenue raiser (speed camera - remember we only have 2kph margin here in Vic) or a school zone, or a 80kph limit on a country town, etc.

Other navigators provide some better functionality, but RA certainly has the best service with warnings.

So even the basic unit is worthwhile.
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #11
SE Ute

Thanks for all of the replies. Certainly helped out with what i was after.

Did some more research last night, it looks like most of the gps units now come with downloadable POI's with all of the revenue raisers on it. I guess i'm tossing up (after i couldn't find a cheap Uniden GPS301) between the Uniden GPS501 (with school zones, but not timed as far as i can tell, so goes off any time of day when go through school zone, which could get annoying) and the Road Angel Evo, which does everything i was after, but got to pay $10 a month for up to date data, and it's not really that cheap either..

I think the Road Angel is the best for what i want, unless someone has something good to say about the Uniden units..
Old 14-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #12
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My friend has a TomTom ONE GPS that I sometimes use. It warns me about the well-hidden speed cameras & red-light cameras.

We need a GPS that warns us about police's handheld radar-gun.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The tomtom units are choice magazine's satnav of choice (excuse the pun). I'd recommend you get a tomtom one or tomtom one xl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Ute
Thanks for all of the replies. Certainly helped out with what i was after.

Did some more research last night, it looks like most of the gps units now come with downloadable POI's with all of the revenue raisers on it. I guess i'm tossing up (after i couldn't find a cheap Uniden GPS301) between the Uniden GPS501 (with school zones, but not timed as far as i can tell, so goes off any time of day when go through school zone, which could get annoying) and the Road Angel Evo, which does everything i was after, but got to pay $10 a month for up to date data, and it's not really that cheap either..

I think the Road Angel is the best for what i want, unless someone has something good to say about the Uniden units..
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #14
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
I have that exact gps and no it doesn't have school zones.

It has black spots if you choose to upload them, but they are a pain in the ***. They have red light cameras and speed cameras but no school zones.

My old man has one as well, and has all the school zones he passes daily programmed in.
I picked up one of these for the $49. Quite a good unit (esepcially for the price - lol).
If I paid more money I'd like Shcool Zones but the unit is fine (excpet a few of the larger towns around here aren't lsited). When you consider you can only add 500 user locations it would be a real strain on the poor memory of the 301 to have them.

Something interesting is that all these units emit a constant stream of data via the Serial Port and can interface with "other" devices. So, it's possible to link them to a Laptop running "full" Nav software and have just about any features you want provided by the Laptop. Software and maps are an issue for Australia. There are some free apps around but I haven't tried anything that would be suitable yet.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 09:33 PM   #15
QualityCounts

Read the very in-depth review of the Garmin Nuvi 660 below. It's an expensive portable GPS (ebay sells it for around $800-$850). But you get widescreen, slim design, bluetooth, FM transmitter, MP3 player, windshield mount, dash mount, etc.

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2006/10/g...iew.php?page=1
QualityCounts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #16
EF Futura 07
14.915 @ 151 KPH

iv got one(got it cheap too $24.99), it tells you red light/speed cam's, school zones,roundabouts it even tells you the street numbers. its a bit big to mount on the dash but it fits behind the seat. Its called a "Street Directory" pretty rare these days. :

EL XR Front, 16 inch Tickford's, Superlow's Front/Rear with Monroe GT Sport's : , XR6T Snorkle/Fram Filter, 4499's/Hi Flow Cat/2.5 inch Redback, 4.11's/LSD, 5% Tint, Sony Head Unit/ 6 1/2 Inch 190w Speaker's
: 14.915 @ 151 kph 60' 2.254 :
EF Futura 07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2007, 01:16 AM   #17
351hardtop
Wahoo

Slightly off topic...Has anyone used a GPS overseas? I'm thinking of buying one to use when driving in Italy later this year but have no experience with them I believe you can buy a card/disk for the country you're in.

Any info/advice gratefully accepted!
351hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2007, 01:38 AM   #18
MRJUCY
Fordless

I've got a Road Angel & find it great I don't subscribe to the updates anymore I just buy a months worth every now & again to keep it up to date or if I'm going to be traveling somewhere I'm not overly familiar with.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #19
desGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351hardtop
Slightly off topic...Has anyone used a GPS overseas? I'm thinking of buying one to use when driving in Italy later this year but have no experience with them I believe you can buy a card/disk for the country you're in.

The Road Angel is a UK developed unit. Suggest you go to http://www.roadangel.com.au/ and "contact" and ask them the question. They also have camera type warnings for the continent.
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #20
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351hardtop

Yeah most brands have an assortment of overseas maps available. But map sets are usually a few hundred bucks. Like Des pointed out, check on the website of the brand you're after. They are all usually listed.
Old 15-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #21
351hardtop
Wahoo

Thanks for the replies, I'm onto it.
Rick.
351hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #22
SE Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
I've got a Road Angel & find it great I don't subscribe to the updates anymore I just buy a months worth every now & again to keep it up to date or if I'm going to be traveling somewhere I'm not overly familiar with.
Thanks for all of the replies. Very helpful. Going to chase up a road angel this week. I like your idea MRJUCY. Think i might do the same.