Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
ondori
Addicted User

Default The Americans Test a '07 FPV GT

A Four-Door Mustang From Down Under. So ture

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=120772

Old 26-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Interesting to see the yanks having a drive in one of our aussie V8's (im assuming it was tested in OZ?) Maybe ford might have a think about export with the new falcon? But all the reviews ive read on this car all say the same thing
Old 26-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Vdouw
Proud Ford Owner

I'll be blown Ford Aus is sending the falcon over seas ... hopefully the orion will allow this to be profitable.
Vdouw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
Vdouw
Proud Ford Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 056
Interesting to see the yanks having a drive in one of our aussie V8's (im assuming it was tested in OZ?) Maybe ford might have a think about export with the new falcon? But all the reviews ive read on this car all say the same thing

And rightly so. The B series are heavy in the steering and you can't really push them too hard with out getting the back end sideways. However when side ways you can hold the ford out further and longer than an commi. That is from personal experiance and from the experiance of my copper mates ... and yes i do know the cop's XT's have the XR suspension.
Vdouw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Michael Stahl tested it by the looks of things (an Aussie) .... it has been written for the US though ... not sure if it was tested out here or over there though.

Photos by Christian Brunelli ... another Aussie.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Michael Stahl tested it by the looks of things (an Aussie) .... it has been written for the US though ... not sure if it was tested out here or over there though.

Photos by Christian Brunelli ... another Aussie.
Yeah i know those 2 guys are aussies but i thought surely ford wouldnt send a car to the US for a test : to much money to do that and we wouldnt want that :togo: and all the pics taken look like the car is on 'our' side of the road. So id say it was here
Old 26-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have spoken with one or 2 people in the U.S who work for ford and have seen a GT/ XR8 in the states hidden away, Didn't have clue why it was there either.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
Paul
Let the good times roll!

Guys, that car was driven and tested in Australia by Stahl, who is a Wheels contributor.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #9
webby_191189
low wagooon

V8 engine fails to excite?!?!?!? WTF 389 horsepower just aint enough. Damn it would sure as hell excite me.

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #10
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Had a giggle when stahl says the boss engine runs out of puff beyong 5500rpm. Mine keeps pulling until you head butt the sunvisor from the rev limiter. No sign of any breathlessness at all if you ask me.
Old 26-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #11
DODDO
Can man

"The car is a generation behind the VE" Thats because this car is based off a near 5 year old platform, and the VE is less than a year old. If they had have done this sort of test when the BA was first released, im sure their opinions would be different.
Holden had to make a car that was ahead of its competitors, as Ford did when the BA was released. Its a punch for punch competition between Holden and Ford now.

I'd still own a Ford any day over any Holden

My 2c.

Cheers.
Old 26-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #12
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Had a giggle when stahl says the boss engine runs out of puff beyong 5500rpm. Mine keeps pulling until you head butt the sunvisor from the rev limiter. No sign of any breathlessness at all if you ask me.
Exactly correct. The boss would rev even further if not stymied by the rev limiter.
Old 26-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #13
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Here's a review by Car and Driver from last June...it's a good read.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-ghia-awd.html

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #14
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 056
It wasn't driven by the yanks. Michael Stahl who wrote the article is an Australian journalist and has been around for many years. What I would like to see is American automotive journalists test FPVs instead of Amercian automotive publications issue articles about FPV which were tested by Australian journalists.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #15
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
It wasn't driven by the yanks. Michael Stahl who wrote the article is an Australian journalist who has been around for many years. What I would like to see is American automotive journalists test FPVs instead of Amercian automotive publications issue articles about FPV which were tested by Australian journalists.

FF
same here, i would love to hear a yanks opinion on it
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #16
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yea I notice the test was done with the new car {VE** and not the the old one.Funny how the talk performance but don't mention the performance racing and how well the car does there.

cheers

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #17
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
The first four cogs are nicely useful, but the direct-drive 5th and overdrive 6th leave the V8 snoozing at the 70-mph speed limit ruthlessly enforced on Australian freeways.
So true!

Quote:
FPV maintains that it doesn't want to get involved in a horsepower war with Holden Specialty Vehicles (HSV),
well that explains alot!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
It wasn't driven by the yanks. Michael Stahl who wrote the article is an Australian journalist and has been around for many years. What I would like to see is American automotive journalists test FPVs instead of Amercian automotive publications issue articles about FPV which were tested by Australian journalists.

FF
Yep my bad :togo:
Old 26-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #19
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Exactly correct. The boss would rev even further if not stymied by the rev limiter.
Agreed, no idea what the guy is talking about there. :togo:
FPV8U is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby_191189
V8 engine fails to excite?!?!?!? WTF 389 horsepower just aint enough. Damn it would sure as hell excite me.
I'd have to largely agree with his assessment to be honest.

I have a BA XR8, and coming from an 2001 model SS, the BA feels heavier and lazier. I'm shopping around for a newer car at the moment and tried a BF GT. In standard form, it really does fail to excite. I'd be surprised when I sit in a VE SS, that I don't get that whoa! feeling again.

I'm a Ford man (but not one eyed) and I do absolutely love the B Series look, and seat of the pants acceleration (while nice) won't be my deciding factor. It doesn't make you wet yourself when you mash the loud pedal, but I'm getting to the stage where that's not as important as it once was. My current car is in mechanically good nick, so I might wait for the S2 VE to come out and maybe consider a hairdryer. The F6 has nice presence but I don't know if I can downgrade to a buldgeless Ford. At the end of the day, the BF GT will probably win out, it's a fantastic package, just not a particularly exciting one in stock form.

I've got extractors an cat backs which is the only mod I've done to my BA. Maybe the GT is different but mine does get wheezy before the rev limiter, and the first time (and only time) I've hit the damn thing I was nearly catapulted through the windshield. I prefer a bouncing rev limiter, and so does my forehead.

I'm still impressed by my BA's handling on the twisty stuff though but I base that solely on driving big Ford and Holden sedans most of my driving life. Attacking Kangaroo Valley in my SS was a hairy proposition, it's faster and much less effort in my BA.

389HP sounds nice on paper, but it's all about perception when you're behind the wheel of it. My previous SS was probably only mildly quicker than my current BA, but if you drove them back to back then you'd think there was a world of difference. When I bought the BA and took it for a test, the salesman was continually asking me, 'great pickup, don't you think?' I then took him for a spin in the SS, I asked him, 'great pickup, don't you think?' while he was white knucking the arm rest. I was sticking the boot into both of them on the lap around the yard.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #21
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I rarely rev a car to the limiter - in fact i barely go over 4000rpm, just don't need to, to go quick within the realms of a public road (and I'm talking about a 2L Turbo here).

So if a little 2L Turbo can do this then surely "feeling breathless up top" would be irrelevant to a large V8 with superior torque in day to day driving conditions. I mean unless your a track star, who cares??? I don't get what these reviews keep going on about...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #22
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
IThe F6 has nice presence but I don't know if I can downgrade to a buldgeless Ford. .
Yeah F6s are for people that can spell :->

Sorry couldn't resist, do take it in jest, LOL.
Old 26-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #23
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Yeah F6s are for people that can spell :->

Sorry couldn't resist, do take it in jest, LOL.
BANG!

FF
Old 26-05-2007, 08:49 PM   #24
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
It's all relative, he was probably comparing it to the LS2 engine.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #25
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
With 290kw, the GT should be faster than it is. 14.5 1/4 mile? Wtf? Stahl probably can't drive though .
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #26
FPV 5TH

14.5 1/4 mile? he must have been driving uphill
FPV 5TH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #27
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He states in the article that the block is from Mustang Cobra R, this is incorrect, Mustang uses alloy block.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 01:29 AM   #28
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
389hp fails to excite when its trying to lug around 1825kg before driver, in manual form. That's 213.15hp/tonne.

Compare that to a Holden vehicle that had similar power... VYII HSV Clubsport. 382hp (285kW) at 1696kg... 225.23hp/tonne. And unlike the FPV it can rev to 6500rpm. And its not geared as lazy. And, obviously, has a better spread of power throughout the rev range. Oh... and this is two generations old while we're at it. And still an LS1 engine. They're LS2 in HSV's now, which have better torque at low revs then the LS1 did. And now sport a better overall chassis too, and more tyre (275's on the back).
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 08:33 AM   #29
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
It wasn't driven by the yanks. Michael Stahl who wrote the article is an Australian journalist and has been around for many years.
FF
Pretty much what i mentioned in post #5.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 09:58 AM   #30
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Pretty much what i mentioned in post #5.
OK so you get the gold star.

FF