Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 350 Bathurst Model Fpv Gt's?

me and a mate went and considered the option of upgrading our xr's to an FPV i wanted to see what the fuss is about with a typhoon and he wanted a gt we drove both..not all that impressed but typhoons power was smooth
the 6sp auto i wasnt all that impressed with either as the phoon came on song it would change up and lose its punch bla bla anyway....

as mate ordered his gt the dealer was telling me how the 40th ann's are sold out and that the bathurst models are also sold out bathurst model i said?
he didnt seem to know intricate details but wasnt interested in telling me cos
well they are already sold out...

anyone heard of the bathurst model fpv gt?

JAYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Not a Bathurst FPV GT, but I did hear a whisper about an XC Cobra themed FPV GT...maybe Bathurst Cobra is what the dealer was hinting at.
Old 25-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
XR8putts

Nope, never heard of it. Maybe a new stripe package the dealer thought of.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Yes, limited run model will be released on Bathurst weekend.

Looks like the 40th version, but white with blue stripes.

D
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
Yes, limited run model will be released on Bathurst weekend.

Looks like the 40th version, but white with blue stripes.

D
And its sold out, This far away from Bathurst? So FPV have been telling people? Hmmm.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

I'm not sure on the "sold out" bit as I've asked and the two dealers I'm talking to have not prices/spec sheets etc yet.

It was announced (sort of) at the FPV Open Day.... if you asked the right question to the right person.

D
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well at least we can say that the BA has been the most successful Falcon in V8SCs, so thats something LOL.

I think Ford should worry about winning the bloody thing a few more times.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
BadMac
I still have both eyes

So let me get this right, theres a new stripe and sticker pack coming in October (5 months) and nobody on this or any of the other forums I read have said anything about it before this thread, yet its sold out, wheres my BS filter seems to have stopped working again.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMac
So let me get this right, theres a new stripe and sticker pack coming in October (5 months) and nobody on this or any of the other forums I read have said anything about it before this thread, yet its sold out, wheres my BS filter seems to have stopped working again.
Perhaps the dealer sold out of his allotment? I dont know, but the 40th anni sold pretty quickly from all reports, why not do it again from Fords point of view.

Why the 40th anni is different in meaning to a Bathurst special, you cant help but feel a little for the 40th anni guys who thought they were getting something different. Which it is I guess, but im sure they weren't told about another limited run coming..LOL
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #10
elgt146
315-TUF

Hmmm...

I am sure I have seen some white FPV's with blue stripe packages already up over the bonnet.

Maybe a bit more thought into engineering a "Bathurst Special"
elgt146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgt146
Hmmm...

I am sure I have seen some white FPV's with blue stripe packages already up over the bonnet.

Maybe a bit more thought into engineering a "Bathurst Special"
Correct me if I am wrong, but the XC Cobras were basically a run out job, to clear shells and they didn't get any extra mumbo over the (XB I guess) GT did they?

My history is a bit hazy, sorry if I buggered something up there.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-05-2007, 07:08 PM   #12
JAYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMac
i never heard anything of it on here either which is whhy i posted this thread.
the dealer was clear there is a "bathurst" model i cant see why he would make this up out of the blue...but maybe he has told previous buyers
and his allocated amount has been snapped up apparently thats all fpv will be building over the coming few months(40th ann and bathurst models)
just wondering if anyone had any useful info to contribute to the thread
specs, suspension..is it the same as the 4oth but different colour combo..etc
JAYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope they dont confuse or down grade the legendary and Iconic GT name with that of the Cobra...

Old 25-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I hope they dont confuse or down grade the legendary and Iconic GT name with that of the Cobra...
Ouch! Both names are as strong as each other IMO.

But if its in Cobra colours then it should be a Cobra, and not a GT. Even though it is "just" a GT.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #15
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Quote:
Oi 4V man, allow we XC owners a little Bathurst street cred, at least they were Bathurst winners in '77!!! (No repanelled XB GT correspondence will be entered into, only what Joe Public saw counts..)

I'm not sure what Ford's angle is though if this paint/stripe package does appear, considering the XC Cobra anniversary is next year...maybe an Orion GT would be more appropriate?
Old 25-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #16
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry 351
Oi 4V man, allow we XC owners a little Bathurst street cred, at least they were Bathurst winners in '77!!! (No repanelled XB GT correspondence will be entered into, only what Joe Public saw counts..)

I'm not sure what Ford's angle is though if this paint/stripe package does appear, considering the XC Cobra anniversary is next year...maybe an Orion GT would be more appropriate?
LOL, sorry to rain on the parade so to speak but the 1977 Bathurst winning "XC's" were actually XBGT's with updated body work, the "XC Cobra" wasnt released till 1978! and it was mainly avaliable with a 302...

If they want to re use the Cobra name and colors i think the XR8 would be a more appropriate "victim" so to speak!

Old 25-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Ouch! Both names are as strong as each other IMO.

But if its in Cobra colours then it should be a Cobra, and not a GT. Even though it is "just" a GT.
Sorry, cant agree there, the GT had a long and successful racing pedigree from 1967 to 1977, it was the premium performance offering.
The Cobra on the other hand had no racing pedigree so to speak, was a one model version of the XC GS bought out to move slow selling coupe shells and was avaliable with a "small" engine option.....
2 totally different beasts IMO!

Old 25-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I thought they had already done that with the F6 Typhoon......

I am fairly confident that there will be a few surprises shortly that are going to make the majority very happy but unfortunatly cause a few screaming hissy fit tantrums within the ranks of the true believers........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #19
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Sorry, cant agree there, the GT had a long and successful racing pedigree from 1967 to 1977, it was the premium performance offering.
The Cobra on the other hand had no racing pedigree so to speak, was a one model version of the XC GS bought out to move slow selling coupe shells and was avaliable with a "small" engine option.....
I see where you are coming from, but us (well most) Ford nerds like us know this; the general public doesn't.

I hope they dont use the name, not atleast until a Ford coupe is made; which will most likely never ever happen again.

Perhaps just use the name "Bathurst Special" I dont know why the need to rehash past ideas. Seems nothing is sacred.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #20
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but the XC Cobras were basically a run out job, to clear shells and they didn't get any extra mumbo over the (XB I guess) GT did they?

My history is a bit hazy, sorry if I buggered something up there.
That's it, come up with by Edsel Ford I believe. Cobras were low end slugs, a lot of which were just auto 302s. And it was a gimmick to get rid of a heap of two door shells they were discontinuing.

Sounds like the same all over again in BF before Orion to me...
Old 25-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #21
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I thought they had already done that with the F6 Typhoon......
Ahhh.. you got me there!

Old 25-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #22
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Well its odd then. I cant speak for everyone my age, but if someone gave me an option to take either a GT Coupe or a XC Cobra, then it would be the Cobra all the way.

I didn't grow up when the GT was in its prime, I had such weapons as the XE ESP (do love the car though) and the mighty XF S Pack! When the GT finally came around we got the EB and EL; both horn cars but not in the same league.

Look atleast they are doing something, would have been alot easier to just keep the status quo and put everything into Orion. Mind you they are just sticker kits so far, not like they had much work to do there unfortunately.

edit: quoted the wrong guy...sorry
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-05-2007, 08:12 PM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well its odd then. I cant speak for everyone my age, but if someone gave me an option to take either a GT Coupe or a XC Cobra, then it would be the Cobra all the way.

I didn't grow up when the GT was in its prime, I had such weapons as the XE ESP (do love the car though) and the mighty XF S Pack! When the GT finally came around we got the EB and EL; both horn cars but not in the same league.

Look atleast they are doing something, would have been alot easier to just keep the status quo and put everything into Orion. Mind you they are just sticker kits so far, not like they had much work to do there unfortunately.

edit: quoted the wrong guy...sorry
Wow! i guess its easy to take history for granted, the cobra and ESP were pale in comparrison to their racing ancestors... The 4V XAGT and early 4V XBGT Coupes were serious weapons, high compression 300+ HP 351's, (The RPO83 was closer to 340hp) toploaders and 9" diffs, by 1978 the emmisions strangled 351 made 219hp and the 302 which graced most cobras made just on 200hp.....

Old 25-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If Bathurst is 5 months away, why the hell would they be sold out when the company hasn't even made an announcement that they plan to make them. Even the GT 40th Anniversary took a little while after it was announced to clear most of the stock.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #25
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBA
the 6sp auto i wasnt all that impressed with either as the phoon came on song it would change up and lose its punch bla bla anyway....
Did you try it in sports mode?

Was there anything else you didn't like about the 6sp auto? I'm getting finicky in my old age and that third pedal is about to go. Sydney traffic is getting worse by the day and my 3rd leg is killing me.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #26
42 PHASE3

Quote:
Wow! i guess its easy to take history for granted, the cobra and ESP were pale in comparrison to their racing ancestors... The 4V XAGT and early 4V XBGT Coupes were serious weapons, high compression 300+ HP 351's, (The RPO83 was closer to 340hp) toploaders and 9" diffs, by 1978 the emmisions strangled 351 made 219hp and the 302 which graced most cobras made just on 200hp.....
and they were the 'down the hill models' built after the mighty xy hoeys stopped rolling out the door in 71 at the peak of the orig muscle car era.

rod
42 PHASE3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #27
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Sure as hell hope FPR Win Bathurst this year if they are planning on Flogging off bathurst specials...
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #28
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

maybe it is a 30th anniversary model to remember the most crushing victories to the Blue Oval, the 1-2, that everyone has tried to copy, and not the Cobra.....

I'm wondering if their will be a Moffat and Bond signature version.
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #29
Sprint1

your spot on the money there i think, And the stripe package could be the blue and red combination down the side and the black bonnet?? i dont know about it being on a BF GT or alike.
Sprint1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #30
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envi XR8
maybe it is a 30th anniversary model to remember the most crushing victories to the Blue Oval, the 1-2, that everyone has tried to copy, and not the Cobra.....

I'm wondering if their will be a Moffat and Bond signature version.
Anyone want to have a crack at Photoshopping that?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post