Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2007, 12:02 AM   #1
Falcon Freak
Banned

Thumbs down It is clear that the oil companies are screwing us!!!

The Australian public have suspected this for many years. However as of today there is no more doubt in my mind. This evening 91 RON ULP is selling for approximately $1.40 per litre. The last time I saw fuel priced this high was last year when crude oil was $US77 per barrel (to the nearest dollar). How can they justify the current price for petrol when crude oil is currently trading for approximately $US66 per barrel?

Crude oil prices
National Retail Petrol Prices

In addition to this the $US/$AUD exchange rate is now almost 10c higher then when crude oil was at $US77 per barrel in July 2006. This means all imported items should be cheaper!

Exchange rates

The figures do not lie. WTF is the ACCC doing about this injustice??? It is time we started to demonstrate our dissatisfaction to the ACCC and the government! :evil3:

Current cost of petrol in your region

FF

Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 12:20 AM   #2
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

i have to say,
this is very annoying..... price should be lower. thats just BS!
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 12:23 AM   #3
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

can someone pass the bum numb as i have to fill up tommorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 12:29 AM   #4
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Its ridiculous, last night fuel was at 1.27 for regular unleaded, you could hardly get in to any servos for the lineup, and the one I did get into ONLY HAD TWO PUMPS RUNNING!!!

Was driving me insane, I was EXTREMELY low on fuel and needed it, I was worried about running out while waiting in the lineup.

Oil companies just seem to be absolutely greedy, raising the price for any excuse they can.

What gets me is servos up the price, with THE SAME FUEL in the tanks that was there when it was cheap. So say they buy it for 80c a litre, one day sell it for 1.30, the next day they're making 10c per litre more off the same fuel. It would be alright if they changed their prices with their deliveries.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 12:31 AM   #5
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it is disgusting and frustrating that they have us all rushing to the petrol station on tuesday nights to save a couple of bucks.

we really are getting screwed. they say the price rise was due to a decrease in production, what a load of crap.

now they're saying that the only way that petrol can be cheaper is if the government reduces their tax share on it, and this would obviously affect our entire economy... oil companies really have the world by the balls and it is sickening.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 12:44 AM   #6
elusiverunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation It is clear that the oil companies are screwing us!!!

Perhaps instead of complaining about it on the Forums we should all right a letter to our local members to convince them to give the ACCC the power they need to regulate fuel prices. I have sent a letter to the President of the ACCC to express my disgust at the pathetic excuses the oil companies give for uping the petrol.

This time the oil companies claim that the price has increased because a percentage of the refineries in the US have closed production for maintenance and that the demand in the US over the summertime (in the US) has increased so consequently prices have risen. Well this morning and tonight the price of light sweet crude is the same as it was last week ?????
Really makes one wonder. The oil companies must think the Australian Public is as thick as two bricks.
Bolle Window Tint - fitted by Tint a Car
PWR Heat Exchanger, PWR Auto Transmission Oil Cooler - No milkshakes in this car.

After market DRL.
Custom fitted gauge holder with three gauges - Stav of Stingray Car Security.

Last edited by elusiverunner; 24-05-2007 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Change of Statement.
elusiverunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 12:46 AM   #7
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
The Australian public have suspected this for many years. However as of today there is no more doubt in my mind. This evening 91 RON ULP is selling for approximately $1.40 per litre. The last time I saw fuel priced this high was last year when crude oil was $US77 per barrel (to the nearest dollar). How can they justify the current price for petrol when crude oil is currently trading for approximately $US66 per barrel?

Crude oil prices

In addition to this the $US/$AUD exchange rate is now almost 10c higher then when crude oil was at $US77 per barrel in July 2006. This means all imported items should be cheaper!

Exchange rates

The figures do not lie. WTF is the ACCC doing about this injustice??? It is time we started to demonstrate our dissatisfaction to the ACCC and the government! :evil3:

FF

The oil companies have got the ACCC by the short and curlies, that's for sure.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 12:53 AM   #8
GRNKPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
The oil companies have got the ACCC by the short and curlies, that's for sure.

i will second that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
Old 24-05-2007, 01:06 AM   #9
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and not even the fact that the Aussie dollar is trading at 11 year highs against the US dollar is helping the situation.

all of the current strength in our currency rates is going as profits down the oil companies pockets.

this is daylight robbery and our government is treating us like imbeciles by not doing anything about it. get the ACCC to do what they're bloody well supposed to do!!!
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 01:08 AM   #10
GRNKPR

Puppets

Old 24-05-2007, 01:17 AM   #11
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a large amount of our fue is produced from our own crude pumped from our waters
and untill the aust gov decided to link our prices to world prices they were limited to what they could do but the good old polies in ther infinet wisdom screwed us ova again for more taxes

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 01:20 AM   #12
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

maybe we should all stay home for a month and see if we can bring the country to a standstill they dont sell fuel the goverment dont get there cut and all of a sudden no profit margin but dont forget we gotta stock up on groceries oh bugger they will get us there can't win can we with the price of groceries and vegies seem's like every day the little guy's get scewed and the rich get gold plated pockets
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 01:25 AM   #13
GRNKPR

Bob want some anal ease and join us .I cant believe that 1 week ago $ 1 27 was the high end of the scale and know its low end ????????????

Old 24-05-2007, 01:36 AM   #14
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i went out for a drive with my old man the other day and when he droped me back the fuel price was $1.16 just around the corner from me , and i commented to him how they were always cheeper , whent to fuel up the next morn to go to work and they'd jumed up to just under $142 to be one of the more expensive

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 01:53 AM   #15
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Crude oil prices

Exchange rates

FF

Because they heard a rumour someone was planning an attack on an oil field so prices had to go up 10 or 20 cents per litre.. : : : :evil3: :evil3:
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 08:34 AM   #17
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As much as I dont like it what can anyone do about it???

They are a private business selling a product that we all go out and buy. They can charge whatever the hell they like - it is a free country/market.

Maybe we need a "peoples" servo like the Bendigo Bank...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 09:04 AM   #18
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Fuel has gone up because we are linked to Singapore prices... oh wait, they haven't gone up.
Ok, now we are linked to Crude oil prices.. oh crap, they are still at $66 a barrel.
Ok, now its refinery production.. bugger, its plenty
Ok, now its because of the US usage.. damn.. its summer over there, no heating costs to add onto the margin.

Ok, Ok, got it. The cost of fuel has gone up this time because the Peruvian government has claimed that the national forests in Chile are being polluted by excessive.. ummm.. chickens.. yeah, chickens. And that has caused a drop in production because the oil workers in Russia are all now working in Chile catching chickens for a bounty. Yeah, thats it!

Hey, thats as plausible as all the other excuses we've given the ACCC and they believed all the other ones.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 10:20 AM   #19
flukey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Fuel has gone up because we are linked to Singapore prices... oh wait, they haven't gone up.
Ok, now we are linked to Crude oil prices.. oh crap, they are still at $66 a barrel.
Ok, now its refinery production.. bugger, its plenty
Ok, now its because of the US usage.. damn.. its summer over there, no heating costs to add onto the margin.

Ok, Ok, got it. The cost of fuel has gone up this time because the Peruvian government has claimed that the national forests in Chile are being polluted by excessive.. ummm.. chickens.. yeah, chickens. And that has caused a drop in production because the oil workers in Russia are all now working in Chile catching chickens for a bounty. Yeah, thats it!

Hey, thats as plausible as all the other excuses we've given the ACCC and they believed all the other ones.
HAHAHAHA!!! Thats gold casper!!!!!!

But seriously Im getting cheesed off by this blatant pocket lining, the oil companies have realised that fuel has become as necessary as water for most of us and they are ripping us for all that they can. Come on ACCC, get onto them already!

Last edited by flukey77; 24-05-2007 at 10:29 AM.
flukey77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #20
TZENU
XY Driv3r

LOL at Casper... Love it!!!

Yep saw 1.40 this morning in Bayswater :(

Ahh well soon we will need to begin hijacking Fuel trucks.... a new product on the black market... Petrol!
Old 24-05-2007, 10:33 AM   #21
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heard on the news its because a fuel refinery in the US is closed for maintenance....im sure theres plenty others

stealing LPG tanks, and Petrol will increase....than prices on both will increase even more.....who wins the Fuel company

EVERYONE send an email to this address mailto:petrol.monitoring@accc.gov.au if they get 80 emails they gotta do something, i mean that hyundai ad got banned with only 80 emails come on????

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #22
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Done, done and done. Now for the rest of you guys, write the fat bastard that is meant to represent you in Parliament and give him (or her) hell in an articulate manner befitting a member of this illustrious forum.

It does suck major $%$# that they have free reign over what to charge for fuel.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #23
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob 351
maybe we should all stay home for a month and see if we can bring the country to a standstill they dont sell fuel the goverment dont get there cut and all of a sudden no profit margin but dont forget we gotta stock up on groceries oh bugger they will get us there can't win can we with the price of groceries and vegies seem's like every day the little guy's get scewed and the rich get gold plated pockets
no joke here bob,
but if everybody in australia, stopped buying fuel just for one day, it would send all the big buggers belly up.

we studied it last year, the same goes for all the retail chains. you know why? because they all survive on constant flow.

maybe we should do a "DONT BUY FUEL DAY!" or something?

o yeah by the way, all the small franchises can survive, because they are nowhere near as reliant on constant flow.
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #24
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unco
and not even the fact that the Aussie dollar is trading at 11 year highs against the US dollar is helping the situation.

all of the current strength in our currency rates is going as profits down the oil companies pockets.

this is daylight robbery and our government is treating us like imbeciles by not doing anything about it. get the ACCC to do what they're bloody well supposed to do!!!

In my business, i purchase imported goods at US dollars. With the strength of the Australian dollar against the greenback i am purhcasing items at 8-10% cheaper.

Oil is quantified in US dollars, and the current barrel price is cheaper than when the Aus$ was at 72 US censt, so there is no excuse to drop the price of petrol by atleast 11%. Unfortunatly there is NO "real" price of petrol ie it can be falsified by 10-15 cents per litre depending on the weekly bullshyte cycle.
Old 24-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #25
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:

Crude oil prices

Exchange rates

FF
Because our fuel prices are linked to the MOPS95 index in singapore. You make the erroneous assumption that retail pricing has a direct relationship to the price of unrefined crude oil.

Casper, im not sure where you get your information suggesting the price of fuel in singapore (MOPS95) has not gone up?

Looks like fuel price on the signapore index has been rising steadily for 3 months now. Read ALL about it from last week's petrol pricing report:

http://www.aip.com.au/pricing/facts/...ces_Report.htm

Graph and chart and make statistical comparisons to your heart's content.

The "demand" that the ACCC do something about it is a very simplistic approach (consistent with your three way relationship between oil price, exchange rates and retail petrol). If you are familiar with the trade legislation which they operate under, it is extremely diffucult to identify breaches of the law.

I dont think its constitutional to ammend the trade practices act to say

"it is an offense under this section if:

a) FalconFreak thinks you are charging too much for fuel"

Not to mention, if you intend on taking big oil to court - better get some additional funding approved... and engage your QC's early, because after big oil starts spending up, you'll be lucky to find a legal clerk in sydney that hasnt been engaged by them!!!

The zig-zag blue line on the graph i post above represents the retail pricing cycle here in Australia. That is something i beleive Graeme Samuels and the ACCC's time would be much better spent eliminating... altho to a large extent we have only ourselves to blame for the silly pricing cylces.

EDIT: wait for this week's pricing report and i am sure there will be some commentary and graphs regarding petrol price movements for the week ended 27 may.
Old 24-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #26
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

If you hadn't noticed I was taking the ****. I know its linked to Singapore and I know the price of Singapore has risen.. I just love how the oil companies will quickly change tact and now blame this rise on an oil refinery in the US.. which has as much to do with AU pricing as Peruvian chickens.

Fact is that the oil companies are blatantly ripping us off, have been for years, will continue to do so, and will blame any and everything they can to justify it.

Old 24-05-2007, 11:48 AM   #27
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
If you hadn't noticed I was taking the ****. I know its linked to Singapore and I know the price of Singapore has risen.. I just love how the oil companies will quickly change tact and now blame this rise on an oil refinery in the US.. which has as much to do with AU pricing as Peruvian chickens.

Fact is that the oil companies are blatantly ripping us off, have been for years, will continue to do so, and will blame any and everything they can to justify it.
Lol, sorry my sarcasm radar is a bit off today.

There is sound rationale for US supply disruptions affecting domestic markets tho... singapore index reflects a wider global price (essentially global parity price) as when US supply takes a hit, global supply is lower, but global demand obviously isnt going to back off until we run out of the stuff.... altho i suspect you are already aware of this.

OPEC probably deserve most of the credit for ripping us off. Altho they prob wouldnt have come about had the US not been screwing them over in the earlier parts of the 20th century...

If we must blame someone or something (must we?) then surely it must be our hunger, thirst and sheer dependence on a substance that we dont have a lot of.

But we will soon look back on the day petrol was $1.40/L and beg/hope/prey for it to return.
Old 24-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #28
groops

I've come to deal with the rising costs of fuel prices. It's just going to keep going up and up...what gives me the absolute craps is when the outlet tells you that they need to charge you 4% for using your credit card, cause it costs them more and they're already not making enough off fuel to cover the costs...and the best one I've had so far....I'm sorry sir, that'll be an additional 1.5% for using eftpos and an additional 20c to take cash out. Holy Crap!!! If petrol 'costs' are so close to what they sell it for, why the hell are they continuing to make record profits in the BILLIONS every year. and don't try to tell me that they're making billions of dollars of profit off the food that they sell....poppycock!!!!

Mike
groops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #29
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groops
poppycock!!!!
Is that like a Grandfather Peruvian Chicken?

Old 24-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #30
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by groops
I've come to deal with the rising costs of fuel prices. It's just going to keep going up and up...what gives me the absolute craps is when the outlet tells you that they need to charge you 4% for using your credit card, cause it costs them more and they're already not making enough off fuel to cover the costs...and the best one I've had so far....I'm sorry sir, that'll be an additional 1.5% for using eftpos and an additional 20c to take cash out. Holy Crap!!! If petrol 'costs' are so close to what they sell it for, why the hell are they continuing to make record profits in the BILLIONS every year. and don't try to tell me that they're making billions of dollars of profit off the food that they sell....poppycock!!!!

Mike
I can tell you now that whatever is charged via EFTPOS transactions, the business doesn't get completely all of it hence the surcharge to cover that. The bank takes a certain piece off every transaction. And being a petrol station they would get a lot of those transactions. Some charge, others don't.

So long as they aren't charging a surcharge more than what the bank does nothing wrong with it.

The oil companies make the profits, not the petrol station. They have to put prices up accordingly to what they are charged by the oil company that they are supplied by.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post