Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #61
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Great report on the VY Collville, i actually test drove a VY Malloo before i bought the Pursuit, just to satisfy my curiosity.
I came away really impressed with the performance and handling of it, but couldnt bear to look at it from the outside.
imo we should be very greatfull to Holden for putting the alloy Chevs in their cars, other wise we would still be driving the poor old 5 litre Windsors still, not Boss's and 6 T's
Old 09-08-2005, 08:58 PM   #62
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
imo we should be very greatfull to Holden for putting the alloy Chevs in their cars, other wise we would still be driving the poor old 5 litre Windsors still, not Boss's and 6 T's
The 5.4, or perhaps even 4.6, would have come along eventually. The Windsor V8 was given to us from a stockpile of engines Ford AU had left over. Once it ran out, they'd either have to make it here, or import American engines.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #63
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Great report on the VY Collville, i actually test drove a VY Malloo before i bought the Pursuit, just to satisfy my curiosity.
I came away really impressed with the performance and handling of it, but couldnt bear to look at it from the outside.
Thanks Cam,

IMO it's always a fun idea to try everything thats on offer in the same category if possible. If for nothing else but to satisfy yourself before you buy the car you want. In almost all cases I know I'm going to buy the Ford, but it's a great experience seeing what other makes have to offer.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:45 AM   #64
rick69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Have any of you who are bagging the 5.7L LS1 actually driven one HARD .. not just a casual drive up the shops to buy a pie in your mates ute or whatnot? Stocky LS1s (like mine) are pretty docile things in normal commuting .. but put the boot into them and crank up the revs and that mechanical beast will rear its head.

I concurr with the original authors thoughts .. especially the "mechanical" noise. The Ls1 is pretty noisy, but after awhile it's kind of reassuring, like a noisy watch or an angry sound, like a mechanical monster under the hood (except when it develops into piston slap, gudgeon-ping noise, etc :( ).

Yep, this is the "Australian Ford Forums", but how about a little open-mindedness?? Just hate Holdens 'cos they are Holdens?? How about we put export badges on them and call them Chevrolets? To most blue-blood, anti-Holden members .. just be thankful you weren't looking for a new car after '83 when Fords idea of performance was 4.1 I6. It took Holdens continued support of "performance" to drag Ford kicking-and-screaming to the position it is today. Now Ford is performance oriented and loving it. Thanks Holden ..
Great post, well written and very true.
rick69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2005, 12:48 AM   #65
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the sound of the LS1s when the throttle is opened. Bear in mind these days people want quieter cars so thats how they are made to be (lol not true for the enthuiast)
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2005, 09:03 AM   #66
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Have any of you who are bagging the 5.7L LS1 actually driven one HARD .. not just a casual drive up the shops to buy a pie in your mates ute or whatnot? Stocky LS1s (like mine) are pretty docile things in normal commuting .. but put the boot into them and crank up the revs and that mechanical beast will rear its head.
I owned one for 2 years. Series 2 VT. Had piston slap when cold, few repairs here and there over the life of it (got rid of it because it was getting to that stage where you knew the repairs were probably going to start coming in quick and expensive). But in comparison to the EF I had that the LS1 replaced, repairs were certainly less and mileage wise I was getting more k's to a tank from the LS1.

But as you suggest, when you give it a kick in the guts, hold on! I went to Melb for a week for work and came back, cranked over the LS1 for a bit of a squirt and just about snapped my neck! Compared to my XR8 it just feels more exciting. It rocks at idle, it emits obnoxious noise and I loved it.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2005, 09:37 AM   #67
dogwatch2

Well isn't lively debate interesting! I've just sold my SV8 after one year and bought a two year old Ghia Six. I've come to the light or gone to the dark side depending on your views. I bought the one year old SV8 because it was the cheapest way into a decent newish V8. I found it a bit crude initially but it sort of grows on you. The car is great when your flogging the hell out of it, the engine sounds tops above 4000rpm. and it handles better than the fords, as long as there are no bumps in the corner or it's wet. I liked the brakes, steering, seats, fuel economy (11.8l/100k over one year) and driving position. The main thing I hated was the clunky auto, when I'm not flogging it I like to drive smoothly and the auto "jars" from first to second. In two years I'll go back to a V8, Ford or Holden , whatever is best overall at the time and buy second hand as resales are crap for both. Can't wait for the six speed auto'
dogwatch2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2005, 09:38 AM   #68
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Sorta defeats the purpose of having a big cube V8 (these days) doesn't it?
I mean, if I wanted a peaky motor, where all the action happens up top, I wouldn't be looking for a big V8 car. Maybe a Honda Integra or something..
Not really .. when in stock form that same "docile" engine can typically outrun the "more powerful" DOHC 5.4 over the quarter. The LS1 supposed lack of bottom-end torque has never been a problem for me towing a horsefloat.

BTW: The term "Big V8" is all relative .. in historical terms 5.4L and 5.7L is not a BIG V8 .. 400+ cubes are. Lets see, 401AMC, 401Buick, 406Ford, 413Mopar, 421Pontiac, 425Olds, 426Mopar (Wedge and Hemi), 427Ford, 427Chev, 428Ford, 429Ford, 440Mopar, 454Chev, 455Buick, 455Olds, 455 Pontiac, 460Ford, 500Caddy, etc, etc. I personally have owned a 440Mopar (RB Block) and 383 Mopar (B block), both would put out enough torque to shame a 5.4L or 5.7L. But they were big, inefficient engines ...... great fun though!
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2005, 09:40 AM   #69
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwatch2
Well isn't lively debate interesting! I've just sold my SV8 after one year and bought a two year old Ghia Six. I've come to the light or gone to the dark side depending on your views. I bought the one year old SV8 because it was the cheapest way into a decent newish V8. I found it a bit crude initially but it sort of grows on you. The car is great when your flogging the hell out of it, the engine sounds tops above 4000rpm. and it handles better than the fords, as long as there are no bumps in the corner or it's wet. I liked the brakes, steering, seats, fuel economy (11.8l/100k over one year) and driving position. The main thing I hated was the clunky auto, when I'm not flogging it I like to drive smoothly and the auto "jars" from first to second. In two years I'll go back to a V8, Ford or Holden , whatever is best overall at the time and buy second hand as resales are crap for both. Can't wait for the six speed auto'
Hey, that's about what my SV8 is like .. except I hate the brakes abo9ut as much as I hate the auto!!
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2005, 10:18 AM   #70
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Geepers, when I started this thread I didn't expect it would end up getting someone banned. It's all good discussion and fun fellas, lets not get too heated about it. I'm not buying the thing and I'm not posting this on a Holden forum to get a reaction either. It's just some interesting discussion among forum mates who share the same passion and interests.

Unfortunately that is what happens when people that have over a number of years built a respect level over numerous forums have the intent or purpose misread by people that have been about for 3 seconds. If one is in doubt about the subject matter or the direction the author is taking with his/her topic how about giving the benefit of doubt or failing that how about some common courtesy and respect.

Like it or not Holden (in this category, displacing Tupperware) are market leader. They are there for a reason and hearing those reasons from people that can put two sentences together is more beneficial then not. If you don’t like what CDAA has to say then you really won’t like what I have to say. Holden make a better drivers car. They have an incredibly dumb auto and the manual is agricultural especially if you have been anywhere in close proximity to a Japanese transmission. The LS2 is what the LS1 should have been from day one. They have a road relationship that is, depending on taste, above that of the falcon and they can carry more speed under certain situations where the tyre package can work best. They have a rudimentary suspension design and do a marvelous job masking packaging issues. Their appearance is subjective and as a total package the Ford is easier to live with. Each manufacturer has a bias weighted too far one way and don’t offer enough diversity with the driving experience. The fact the MK2 was able to change spring rates with out damper adjustment gives an indication on how far that front end was out.

When people say things, they are saying it because they are seeing it from a perspective that might be new to you or I. That doesn't make the point of view wrong, just different.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'

Last edited by HSE2; 10-08-2005 at 10:27 AM.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #71
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not really .. when in stock form that same "docile" engine can typically outrun the "more powerful" DOHC 5.4 over the quarter. The LS1 supposed lack of bottom-end torque has never been a problem for me towing a horsefloat.

BTW: The term "Big V8" is all relative .. in historical terms 5.4L and 5.7L is not a BIG V8 .. 400+ cubes are. Lets see, 401AMC, 401Buick, 406Ford, 413Mopar, 421Pontiac, 425Olds, 426Mopar (Wedge and Hemi), 427Ford, 427Chev, 428Ford, 429Ford, 440Mopar, 454Chev, 455Buick, 455Olds, 455 Pontiac, 460Ford, 500Caddy, etc, etc. I personally have owned a 440Mopar (RB Block) and 383 Mopar (B block), both would put out enough torque to shame a 5.4L or 5.7L. But they were big, inefficient engines ...... great fun though!
Yeah, thats why I had 'these days' in brackets. 5.7L is big now, especially when everyone around me drives Corollas and Civics :

Sorry, as far as the auto ones go, I couldn't justify the extra gas, when around town, it doesn't feel (or sound) any quicker than a V6 Camry or Maxima. Just another reason to get a manual.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2005, 11:47 PM   #72
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
JC changed the globes in my dash to blue. Can't stop looking at it. Might explain the half dozen rear enders i've had. :
Yep!! know how that feel's..Bloody JC...

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 12:52 PM   #73
SVR73
Mr Polish

Disagree about the doors

The holden doors might feel heavy and solid but they don't shut anywhere near as quiet and as well as an AU or BA. The holdens since VT have been notorious for collectors of dust and water due to the lack of triple door seals which AU and BA have
But it's great that you did go out and test one, we shouldn't ignore them just because we are blue bloods
Old 21-08-2005, 01:27 PM   #74
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

Good clean write up CDAA..

Holden do make good cars. Having driven nearly every holden from the walkinshaw to the current, i have alot of respect for holdens motor cars. I still love my fords though, even when we went through a serious performance depression for many years, i stayed loyal because i knew one day ford would hit back hard. And the last couple of years has certainly shown that.

Having said that, both ford and holden make fine cars...but their will always be an area in both models that people will gripe about.

Cheers.
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #75
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox7
Good clean write up CDAA..

Holden do make good cars. Having driven nearly every holden from the walkinshaw to the current, i have alot of respect for holdens motor cars. I still love my fords though, even when we went through a serious performance depression for many years, i stayed loyal because i knew one day ford would hit back hard. And the last couple of years has certainly shown that.

Having said that, both ford and holden make fine cars...but their will always be an area in both models that people will gripe about.

Cheers.
Thanks mate ;)

I've just recently handed back to car to it's owner now my partners new Focus Zetec has arrived. Now that car has got damn fine doors!! It was great having the SS for a decent period of time. I really felt I got to know the car, good points and bad which is somthing that's difficult to do in just one test drive. In the end although very greatful for the opportunately, I was happy to hand the keys back. To be honest I thought going from the SS to a Focus would be a little depressing, but the refinement and driving experience was so good in the Zetec, the only thing I'm really missing is the power and sound of the V8. Now I'm really hanging out for my car...........
Old 21-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #76
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
I don't think it's to do with fatigue, red and green are the only colours that don't kill your natural night vision. So you can glance down at the dash and still be able to see properly when you look up.

But Commodores are green overload.
Hmmm. Having flown many a plane at night vfr, I can assure you green is not night vision friendly. In actual fact, red is. Green glows way too much and is a distraction on the eyes. Red is much less a distraction and does not force the pupils to dilate as much.

But hey, it doesn't matter anyways because as soon as a car comes the opposite way, your pupils have dilated anyway.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post