Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #31
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The future of driving...

What about when the gps speed is completly wrong ?? Out of the city gps speed limit info is hit or miss, bits of the highway supposedly 60kmh on the gps when its actually 100 ect
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #32
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...Common sense required here..not outright authoritarianism on stuff like this. Got to be done in a sensible manner and implemented in a smart way.

If the Poms have found their way out of the Brexit mess I suppose it would by then , and that's only partly a joking comment I wonder if that'll affect them if they actually leave the EU. I guess it would because they'd still need to import Euro vehicles .

What happens for much older cars ?.. Is this a way that they'll eventually force them off the roads as the years go by or am I reading too much into it .

I believe in Japan , probably other places the registrations and requirements to own older tech cars gets more expensive to encourage buying newer vehicles .

Interesting stuff .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #33
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
What about when the gps speed is completly wrong ?? Out of the city gps speed limit info is hit or miss, bits of the highway supposedly 60kmh on the gps when its actually 100 ect
Happens all the time. ..you just argue the case or they realize where these areas are and ignore it , it's just about jumping through hoops to get the contract to supply.......just part of the PC world we live in

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #34
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sort of on topic / off topic

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-...-2015/10423816

i have no probs with scanning computerys with the above
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #35
sr71

Time to start a savings plan/purchase strategy for a 2022 Model (MY24 December build) Grail car/s.
3 out of 20 cars on the road are more than 20 years old? So we've got until 2050 without a blackbox, maybe..
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #36
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am a firm convert to this type of technology.

Yeah, I get the down side of the argument as technology taking away the driving experience. I think what is happening with the Boeing 737-MAX is a classic example of poor computer programming overriding pilot/driver input with disastrous results.

But, on the upside, this type of technology can save your life, prevent a crash, or turn a major accident into a minor bingle.

My first experience was with the collision avoidance in my 2014 Outlander PHEV. Brand new car. Only two weeks old. We were merging from the Gateway onto the Gold Coast M1. I was trying to get into the right hand lane and I thought there was a car in my blind spot. I was paying too much attention to changing lanes and not enough attention to the traffic ahead in my lane. Something happened up front, traffic braked heavily. The PHEV started beeping, and autonomously slammed on the brakes. Stopped short, not a scratch. Without that technology, I would have crashed heavily into the car in front. So, one win for technology.

Another great technology is Acceleration Control at low speeds. I personally know of three examples of drivers hitting the accelerator instead of the brake, and causing damage to their family home.

Not sure of the alcohol interlock technology is a good idea. I think it will just encourage more illicit drug use.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #37
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

No amount of "legal stick" is going to really stop people being selfish, or inconsiderate, or inherently dangerous in their thoughts. It's like squeezing a balloon - the pressure (and eventual rupture) will simply occur in another domain.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-03-2019, 09:50 PM   #38
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There no such thing as bad technology, it's just bad human design.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2019, 09:53 PM   #39
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Asbestos cement products? I'll say that was bad technology.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #40
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
My first experience was with the collision avoidance in my 2014 Outlander PHEV. Brand new car. Only two weeks old. We were merging from the Gateway onto the Gold Coast M1. I was trying to get into the right hand lane and I thought there was a car in my blind spot. I was paying too much attention to changing lanes and not enough attention to the traffic ahead in my lane. Something happened up front, traffic braked heavily. The PHEV started beeping, and autonomously slammed on the brakes. Stopped short, not a scratch. Without that technology, I would have crashed heavily into the car in front. So, one win for technology.
Yes, AEB is great, but that's not the technology being discussed here.

Speed limiters, on the other hand, is not technology that I think should be introduced, Sure, cars can read speed limit signs these days, as well as gather data from their GPS. Aside from errors introduced by an incorrect reading of speed sign and/or incorrect GPS data, the other problem is that I believe there is such a thing as safe speeding, and that there are times when it is desirable or necessary to speed, for example, in order to complete an overtaking manoeuvre in as little time as possible. With speed limiters in place, you would be spending far too much time on the wrong side of the road.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2019, 02:03 AM   #41
Hawkeye84

Ok so now heres the beauty of it.

So in 2020, cars without technologies like this (and many more), wont be rated with a 5 Star EURO NCAP crash rating. ANCAP in Australia have decided to adopt the same thing.

So car companies are now rushing to get their cars crashed in 2019 before the new proposed changes take place. Because a car that would/can score a 5 star rating today might be only 3 or 4 star ANCAP in 2020 without the prescribed safety features.

Now this is where it gets really complicated.

Most fleet and rental companies have a 5 star car ANCAP policy.
Now even though a 2020, 3 star ANCAP rated car is alot safer than a 5 Star car tested in 2019. Fleet companies - because of their 5 star ANCAP policy will be inclined to buy the less safer car with a 5 star ANCAP rating in 2019 - because their policy tells them they have to.

So knowing this, car companies are rushing/fast tracking to get their cars crashed before the end of the year, knowing that it would hurt them in sales if they didnt.

Who cares about consumer safety - when sales are to be had.

And wheres ANCAP on the education piece? No where to be seen.
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2019, 09:06 AM   #42
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Yes, AEB is great, but that's not the technology being discussed here.
Sorry, but yes it is. Third dot point in the OP; "Advanced autonomous emergency braking"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post

Speed limiters, on the other hand, is not technology that I think should be introduced, Sure, cars can read speed limit signs these days, as well as gather data from their GPS. Aside from errors introduced by an incorrect reading of speed sign and/or incorrect GPS data, the other problem is that I believe there is such a thing as safe speeding, and that there are times when it is desirable or necessary to speed, for example, in order to complete an overtaking manoeuvre in as little time as possible. With speed limiters in place, you would be spending far too much time on the wrong side of the road.
In the OP it said ...

"Critically, the limiters can be overridden by the simple means of pushing down the accelerator pedal."

So, this seems to overcome part of your concerns regarding over taking (which I do agree with).

I think the issue is not so much with the accuracy of GPS, but the accuracy of internal maps that set speed limits and/or the random placement of road signs. Particularly the lone 40/60/80 kph roadworks sign that some drongo traffic controller forgot to retrieve. (The Warrgo Highway is littered with them at present.)
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post