The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #18
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The going rate for dealership mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I think mining and trade rates (plumbing, electrical etc) have skewed people's perceptions on wages.

I'm a printer. Been here for 24 years. 4 year apprenticeship and running multi million dollar printing presses. Mid 20's is the standard for this industry in Adelaide. East coast may be slightly higher. Wages haven't moved in over 10 years. Many industries are the same.

It's all well and good to bad mouth the dealerships but on top of wages there is super that has to be paid. Then there's the cost of running a bricks and mortar establishment. Electricity alone would make some people's eyes water. Water, gas, suppliers, maintenance, council rates etc etc. Then there is the continual schooling required to keep up with the ever changing technologies etc.

Wages and inflation are going in opposite directions and somethings got to give.
My argument is not about dealerships charging what they do, my argument is more about a mechanic doing 4 years of schooling and getting paid 4 years of apprentice wages and to come out at the end of the 4 years and being on mid $20's an hour. This would could also include other industry.

As I said in my post, I work for a company and it has a call centre attached. An 18 year old from the street with minimal amount of customer service experience will start on a rate of just over $25.00, works out to be around 49k a year. Every 6 months the pay is reviewed and they have a cap of 55k they can earn in the call centre.

I just do not see how someone who has done 4 years at school plus the 4 years being an apprentice can come out of it with a wage very similar to a call centre worker, someone who has done the training and slogged it out for 4 years should be paid more IMO.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: