Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2017, 09:17 PM   #31
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 
Default Re: Uber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Good on you Yellow Festiva and all the best.
I had a great driver from the airport Friday in the previous model Mazda6.
Being in Sydney as you as I've mentioned all of my rides have been in late models and in top shape and clean.
The guy on Friday loved this gig, happy as what uber's cut is, has been making some dollars he mentioned.
Loves the flexibility - works great for him.

Jastel, name one Industry where all involved are happy. NONE, there will always be people who are never satisfied, human trait.

Its not about being happy...its about being fair.

Imagine you bought a lovely house next to protected koala habitat for $500000 to rent out for $500 a week, which will repay the bank loan you took out to buy it.

Suddenly the same bank illegally knocks down the protected koala habitat that has been there for decades (and is the reason you bought the house in the first place) and then builds a couple of hundred new houses right next door to yours and rents them out for $50 a week...nobody will rent your house for $500 as the other houses are cheaper.

But the bank still wants you to repay them $500 a week...where do you get the money to pay it back if you cant rent out your house for more than $50 a week?

You wouldn't be happy in that scenario either...
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-04-2017, 09:23 PM   #32
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post

Imagine you bought a lovely house next to protected koala habitat for $500000 to rent out for $500 a week, which will repay the bank loan you took out to buy it.

Suddenly the same bank illegally knocks down the protected koala habitat that has been there for decades (and is the reason you bought the house in the first place) and then builds a couple of hundred new houses right next door to yours and rents them out for $50 a week...nobody will rent your house for $500 as the other houses are cheaper.

But the bank still wants you to repay them $500 a week...where do you get the money to pay it back if you cant rent out your house for more than $50 a week?

I don't know, it happens. Sure it ain't fair, but everything involves the risk of everything going up the creek, even more so in investment. Just called life, it sucks and we find a way to move on or we don't....
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 01:46 AM   #33
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Correct malazn, times change nothing last forever you got to move on.
Jastel, your right, my error re "happy", its life, lifes a bitch but if you keep still its even worse.
Being fair - business is never fair especially in this day and age.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #34
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
I have to drive a Ranger at work, thats bad enough. If one turned up on my driveway to take me to the pub I'd lock the doors, turn the lights off, wait for it to go away and then walk.
It's like a broken record isn't it.
I'm sure XL 4 cylinders are not the best vehicle on the road.
Since you are an expert on utes I assume you have driven a large range of utes? I have, and the Ranger is up there with the Amarok as the best I have driven.
Comparing utes to other class of vehicles is stupid, of course a sedan or a road SUV will be overall nicer than a ute.
But if the pub is within walking distance why catch an Uber at all?

Only things I would change about the Ranger is coils in the rear for a better ride, and a bigger engine.

My issue with driving people around is I would need to get some sort of canopy. Open tubs are useless in the rain.

Last edited by Ben73; 04-04-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #35
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

No thanks. I want to travel in a car not a truck. At least now if I call an uber I will specify no trucks

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #36
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
No thanks. I want to travel in a car not a truck. At least now if I call an uber I will specify no trucks
Can one specify no Camries when calling an uber? I still intentionally let the person behind me go ahead when a camry rolls up on the rare occasion I need to taxi it out of the airport.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #37
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

You expect to be screwed by people...not your own government.

And NO you cant specify anything, you should consider yourself lucky you get an average sized car rather than a Hyundai or Kia as most of them are.

But in most states Taxi maximum age laws have been revoked to allow uber, so the old Falcons will be around the Taxi ranks for a while longer.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:44 PM   #38
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Don't really care probably took 6 cabs in the last 30 years.

But I won't travel in a piece of shift. Or with some useless foreigner

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2017, 12:35 AM   #39
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

^

Some foreigners are cool as though. The last taxi I caught was driven by an Italian guy that explained how he grew up in Sicily under Mussolini's rule and gave me an idea of what life was like there during and immediately after WW2.

He actually told me he was amazed I didn't just order an Uber and save half the ($90) fare.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2017, 12:52 AM   #40
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I am not involved in taxi industry but would like to see people in the other regulated industries of which are many - react to "disruption" of an uber type.
Uber picked on unpopular industry and general public went with cheaper option and kind of enjoys the punishment of the taxi industry. Funny thing is from what i am reading uber drivers are not the happiest bunch around and are trying to get a better deal for themselves which is kind of ironic.
In the same way people went for cheaper Kias and Hyundais with some major consequences for local car industry.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2017, 01:50 AM   #41
wobblysauce
316,500km

The 10 year rule is a bit harsh.. but like the Taxis, most deam the newer cars safer and more reliable.
Had a spotless early model E36, and was knocked back if I was to use it.. but the Million KM project ex-taxi was fine to use.. with all its dings and what not.

Was going for the Barra 1,000,000km... but was cut short, time to reset the clock.
wobblysauce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #42
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Hey Jastel, I hear you.
The old being screwed by people and not the govco your kidding right ?
We've been getting screwed by our Govs for decades - hence the debacle were in today not just the cab Industry.

Interesting people saying uber drivers are not happy.
The 3-4 rides last 2wks each one of them love their gig.
I'll interview future rides I get and report back from time to time.
Be curious what Yellow Festiva says int he future as well.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #43
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

Life wasn't meat to be fair...

Imagine you were happily married, got a 1yr old bub in the crib and your dream house almost finished.

You always did the right thing by everyone, looked after your family, worked hard, paid for stuff and committed yourself to your misses and your kid.

Imagine you are there sitting watching your TV and looking after your child, giving your other half all the well deserved breaks she ever asked for. She comes home after a 'breakfast with a friend' to warmly inform you that it's over and you are to move out today.

Imagine you do a little investigating... tens of thousands of dollars have been siphoned from the accounts in the months leading up to this. Several thousand more racked up on your credit card... You eventually find out she was doing the dirty behind your back for several months prior..

From that point on, you are living from friends house to friends house, even tossing up moving back into the parents place. You hardly see your kid any more because that's the 'norm in these situations' and when your ex spends all the money she hid away she calls child support to start hitting you up for more money. (and anything you gave before her call doesn't count)

And It's a really great system... you see, the less I see my child, the more I need to pay. Guess who decides how much I see my child at this point in time?? Yep.... she does. And $15k in letters asking for more time means nothing.

Can YOU imagine that?? Now it gets better. You see, 'we' were almost finished a house, 'we' have a $782k mortgage that 'I' have been looking after alone since separation. Do child support care?? No. (actually, I'm going to have to call them again today - may be time to call Alan tomorrow morning if I continue to get the run around).

Now, imagine, after all that you get a nice letter from your wife saying if you want more time, take me to court (knowing that the accounts were dry at the time). Oh, and the house, finish it, sell it and pay her 90% of the profits.

Imagine applying for 40 jobs and getting 3 replies. Can you imagine going to 3 Bunnings interviews and having to 'entertain' them with a 'skit / performance, poem or rap'. By the 3rd group interview I thought I knew the script they use and had the job in the bag, but alas I wasn't what they were looking for. After being a sh!t kicker half my life I'm now a sh!t kicker with 2 degrees and can't get a job moving boxes and stacking shelves.

So can you imagine that for just a second??

Fair??? I didn't wish to take jobs away from anyone, but believe me when I say that my back is against the wall and that I have NO other options at this point in time.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #44
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Life wasn't meat to be fair...

Imagine you were happily married, got a 1yr old bub in the crib and your dream house almost finished.

You always did the right thing by everyone, looked after your family, worked hard, paid for stuff and committed yourself to your misses and your kid.

Imagine you are there sitting watching your TV and looking after your child, giving your other half all the well deserved breaks she ever asked for. She comes home after a 'breakfast with a friend' to warmly inform you that it's over and you are to move out today.

Imagine you do a little investigating... tens of thousands of dollars have been siphoned from the accounts in the months leading up to this. Several thousand more racked up on your credit card... You eventually find out she was doing the dirty behind your back for several months prior..

From that point on, you are living from friends house to friends house, even tossing up moving back into the parents place. You hardly see your kid any more because that's the 'norm in these situations' and when your ex spends all the money she hid away she calls child support to start hitting you up for more money. (and anything you gave before her call doesn't count)

And It's a really great system... you see, the less I see my child, the more I need to pay. Guess who decides how much I see my child at this point in time?? Yep.... she does. And $15k in letters asking for more time means nothing.

Can YOU imagine that?? Now it gets better. You see, 'we' were almost finished a house, 'we' have a $782k mortgage that 'I' have been looking after alone since separation. Do child support care?? No. (actually, I'm going to have to call them again today - may be time to call Alan tomorrow morning if I continue to get the run around).

Now, imagine, after all that you get a nice letter from your wife saying if you want more time, take me to court (knowing that the accounts were dry at the time). Oh, and the house, finish it, sell it and pay her 90% of the profits.

Imagine applying for 40 jobs and getting 3 replies. Can you imagine going to 3 Bunnings interviews and having to 'entertain' them with a 'skit / performance, poem or rap'. By the 3rd group interview I thought I knew the script they use and had the job in the bag, but alas I wasn't what they were looking for. After being a sh!t kicker half my life I'm now a sh!t kicker with 2 degrees and can't get a job moving boxes and stacking shelves.

So can you imagine that for just a second??

Fair??? I didn't wish to take jobs away from anyone, but believe me when I say that my back is against the wall and that I have NO other options at this point in time.
Is the moral of the story never to get married or have kids? I personally think both are equally horrible financial decisions and pointless exercises, why put your balls on the chopping block for another fallible human and why bring more people to this horrible planet.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #45
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

All the very best YF ! I'm feeling for ya but I know you don't need me saying that.
Hope I get a ride with you one day.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:22 PM   #46
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Yes, life's a bitch...and you know the rest...
I have friends in similar situations.

I was not having a go at you or people ubering, they are doing what they need to do and taking advantage of the laws, (or lack of), at the time.
Hell, I might have to start chasing the surge myself soon!
Ultimately their car will die and then the majority of them will be worse off.

The problem is with the government allowing it, when it was against the law.
Then having the hide to say "We support the workers" etc etc while you and me fight over a $5 fare that should be $10 and both go broke slowly.
FYI - this is BOTH major parties.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:48 PM   #47
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:

Give it time...the cars will get crappier and so will the drivers.
They all start out new shiny and keen.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #48
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Uber is a short-term money-spinner. You'd be crazy to think once self-driving cars are available to the mass market, Uber wont roll out a fleet of buzz-boxes and do away with the drivers altogether. Make hay while the sun shines, but don't fool yourself into thinking it'll be viable in 10 years.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #49
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I have had some useless, white Australian taxi drivers as well.

On this thread in general it's funny people are looking for the cheapest form of 'chauffeur' driven vehicles but demand so much.

I will only catch a taxi if it's driven by someone who is the same race as me, has a few masters degrees from one of the top 50 universities. The car must have 10 airbags, multiple USB's to charge all my devices, dual zone climate control and wifi would be nice, but I might be willing to pass on that.
Can you imagine being in a vehicle where you want the AC on 22 when the driver has it set on 21. We might as well be living in caves.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #50
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Uber is a short-term money-spinner. You'd be crazy to think once self-driving cars are available to the mass market, Uber wont roll out a fleet of buzz-boxes and do away with the drivers altogether. Make hay while the sun shines, but don't fool yourself into thinking it'll be viable in 10 years.

That is their ultimate goal...the boss has said as much.
People in the future will only be used to load bags and clean up vomit.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #51
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

I've got the same opinion... but I've never found an Aboriginal Taxi driver... So I usually slum it with some Irish/Scottish/British or other European foreigner...

If I'm lucky, I find a person from the sub continent. They're at least closer to the Australian people colour...
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #52
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I have had some useless, white Australian taxi drivers as well.

On this thread in general it's funny people are looking for the cheapest form of 'chauffeur' driven vehicles but demand so much.

I will only catch a taxi if it's driven by someone who is the same race as me, has a few masters degrees from one of the top 50 universities. The car must have 10 airbags, multiple USB's to charge all my devices, dual zone climate control and wifi would be nice, but I might be willing to pass on that.
Can you imagine being in a vehicle where you want the AC on 22 when the driver has it set on 21. We might as well be living in caves.

Dont forget the iced water and lollies!

That is the general attitude of most of the Millennials who are the biggest uber riders.

Mate, if could find some white guys who want to work I would give them a job in a second....there just aren't any around here.

A/C, airbags, what's that?? Those things have all been removed from the new lower standards in most cases.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #53
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
It's like a broken record isn't it.
I'm sure XL 4 cylinders are not the best vehicle on the road.
Since you are an expert on utes I assume you have driven a large range of utes? I have, and the Ranger is up there with the Amarok as the best I have driven.
Comparing utes to other class of vehicles is stupid, of course a sedan or a road SUV will be overall nicer than a ute.
But if the pub is within walking distance why catch an Uber at all?

Only things I would change about the Ranger is coils in the rear for a better ride, and a bigger engine.

My issue with driving people around is I would need to get some sort of canopy. Open tubs are useless in the rain.
Sooky sooky lala, if you don't like a bit of banter stay in the Ranger room and discuss engine faults...
Yes the pub is in walking distance, but no I'd rather not, I get enough exercise when works Ranger breaks down
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post