Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 13-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #1
manchu

Default Re: MC TDCI Engine Malfunction - P269F

Update: I 've seen 3 DPF regens over ~400km driven last week. Fault P269F hasn't come up again so seems to have been a once off.

The frequency of regens is higher than I expected but I've since read that 100-200km is normal, so guess it's in the range of being OK.

One weird thing I did notice once was a very rapid increase in DPF Soot Load at. When cruising at 100kmh the DPF Soot load went from 39% to 56% over ~6 seconds. Could be a sign of a DPF that's on the way out?
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DIY:

Measure the resistance of the element, (near 1.1 ohms), check fuse 6 and relay 4. Use a vacuum tester to see if there's a blockage in the vaporizer.

If all is good, check sensor hoses, replace or test the sensor (common problem I hear from Ford man but how to check it?).

?If no DIY and reluctant to see Dr Ford, don't worry unless fuel consumption and/or performance is noticed.

Probably not the DPF.

At least we have something to obsess about, since the engine is bulletproof?

Your regen interval seems high at that speed?

Cheers, armchair mechanic . . .
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
DIY:

Measure the resistance of the element, (near 1.1 ohms), check fuse 6 and relay 4. Use a vacuum tester to see if there's a blockage in the vaporizer.

If all is good, check sensor hoses, replace or test the sensor (common problem I hear from Ford man but how to check it?).

?If no DIY and reluctant to see Dr Ford, don't worry unless fuel consumption and/or performance is noticed.

Probably not the DPF.

At least we have something to obsess about, since the engine is bulletproof?

Your regen interval seems high at that speed?

Cheers, armchair mechanic . . .
cheers.

Too DIY for me and I think the regen system is doing what it should so i'll stop obsessing, give the mrs her car back and wait for another warning. I need to stop driving while distracted by forscan or I'll have an accident!.

On a side note I did see the regen continue just fine when idling in stop/start traffic. Not sure why it stopped prematurely that first time.

Not all the driving last week was cruising at 100, so maybe regen frequency is OK. My daily commute includes ~20km at 100 and 15km of light/medium traffic.
Old 14-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #4
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Re phone distraction, I use a Belkin holder which has a round adhesive base permanently stuck near the edge of the centre console and a removeable bracket with suction cup for the phone. A bit expensive but the only thing that hasn't randomly fallen off.

At speedo height it's just another gauge. Usually drive with the holder removed from the base, not using Forscan except when curious about something.
Old 14-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Re phone distraction, I use a ...
After a few attempts I found a suction mount that actually stays on the window and holds the phone well. It's mounted so the phone is as close as possible to A pillar, about the same height as top of steering wheel.
Old 14-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchu View Post
Update: I 've seen 3 DPF regens over ~400km driven last week. Fault P269F hasn't come up again so seems to have been a once off.

The frequency of regens is higher than I expected but I've since read that 100-200km is normal, so guess it's in the range of being OK.

One weird thing I did notice once was a very rapid increase in DPF Soot Load at. When cruising at 100kmh the DPF Soot load went from 39% to 56% over ~6 seconds. Could be a sign of a DPF that's on the way out?
That's more likely to be a glitch with the pressure readings, not a change in the soot loading.

There is nothing in the DPF that wears out, but my understanding is that over time there can be an ash build up which doesn't burn off during a regen.

The 2 ways to minimise this would be to use a low SAPS oil instead of the Ford spec, and fill up with good quality diesel.

I don't recall anyone here having a problem with the DPF itself.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Old 15-02-2017, 10:37 PM   #7
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

glitch:

1. a sudden, usually temporary malfunction or fault of equipment.
"a draft version was lost in a computer glitch"

Looking through my service record for the zetec I found at 138808km P269F - Exhaust after treatment glow plug circuit open module PCM and P269F-C Pending module OBDII. It hasn't shown up again, about 20000km.

I hadn't remembered it.

It is a fairly specific code, not indicating a sensor problem, but as per NZ XR6, the rapid change in soot loading is not usual, it climbs slowly and steadily on mine. I'd go with glitch theory, not much else to go on anyway.

Last edited by rondeo; 15-02-2017 at 10:47 PM. Reason: addition
Old 16-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My MB has the occasional "glitch". Sometimes it sneaks in an extra wipe when the wipers are on intermittent, or the cruise control turns itself off in standby. It went a little crazy a few weeks ago - I even had the engine cut out briefly. I was about to reset the ECU (disconnect the battery) when it came right, and has been fine so far this month.

Maybe I disturbed something when replacing the cabin air filter just before Christmas?