Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #1
extra_g
Starter Motor

Default Tdci lacks turbo whistle

On my UK holiday in 07 we hired a S-Max TDCi and loved it so much that after returning I bought an i30 (09) CRDi and on both the turbo whistles. Last year I bought a Focus (11) TDCi and it does not whistle. I don't believe there is any faults but am curious to know if anyone knows why the S-Max does and the Focus does not whistle. I believe they both have the same drive chains, unless they changed the turbo on the latter model Fords.
Even with bonnet up no whistle.
extra_g is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2016, 10:21 AM   #2
CatonaPC©

Default Re: Tdci lacks turbo whistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra_g View Post
I believe they both have the same drive chains,
Turbos are driven by exhaust gases from the engine. They do not have drive chains.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #3
extra_g
Starter Motor

oops my mistake I meant to write drive lines.
extra_g is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra_g View Post
oops my mistake I meant to write drive lines.
Turbos are not mechanically driven by the engine in any shape or form. The exhaust gases from the engine spins a turbine which in turn drives a rotor forcing air into the combustion chamber.

Superchargers do the same thing but in this case, they are driven by the engine by way of gears or belts.

The 'turbo whistles' you describe, I'm not familiar with.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post