Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post The 2016 Ford Mustang will be cheaper to service than the Falcon XR6 Turbo and Falcon XR8,

The 2016 Ford Mustang will be cheaper to service than the Falcon XR6 Turbo and Falcon XR8, when it launches locally this month.

Servicing costs for the Mustang have appeared on the Ford Australia website and show that the V8 Mustang GT will cost $290 to service for the first 12 months or 15,000km, while the four-cylinder Mustang will cost $300 to service for the first 12 months or 15,000km.

Surprisingly, Mustang servicing costs undercut turbocharged six- and supercharged eight-cylinder Falcons by $130 and $50 respectively, over the same period, with the XR6 Turbo coming in at $340 and XR8 at $420.

The servicing disparity between Falcon XR8 and Mustang GT grows even further in the second and third years, where the price difference blows out to $305 in the second and $185 in the third years.

"The Ford Mustang will launch locally this month with a starting price of $45,990 for the Mustang Fastback EcoBoost, which is powered by a 2.3-litre four-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine and a six-speed manual gearbox.

Prices jump to $57,490 for the six-speed manual, 5.0-litre V8 Mustang GT Fastback with a six-speed manual gearbox. Both variants are $2500 more for the six-speed automatic and $9000 more for the Mustang Convertible (automatic only).

Read our Quick Guide to the Ford Mustang, and check out our international drive review of the Ford Mustang."

Read more at http://www.caradvice.com.au/406866/2...zZmlCSSJPK6.99
Old 15-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The 2016 Ford Mustang will be cheaper to service than the Falcon XR6 Turbo and Falcon XR8,

But sir you need upper engine cleaner and injector flush
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Default Re: The 2016 Ford Mustang will be cheaper to service than the Falcon XR6 Turbo and Falcon XR8,

Until it comes to parts. Had a quick squizz around the catalogue and the part pricing on a few bits is pretty insane.
Old 15-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #4
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

OK I'm going to make a prediction.

The life of the Mustang will be FOUR YEARS.

After that it will fizzle out.

Just like Monaro, Charger and Falcon coupe.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Will the dealers finally carry 5-20 oil though?
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #6
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you'll still need to do the diff bush....some things never change
Wheel hop
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #7
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess N/A engines and smaller turbos are cheaper to service than larger turbos and supercharged engines. Not that surprising really.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

I think you will find it will be different this time. For a start the are much much cheaper than the last attempt.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #9
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I think you will find it will be different this time. For a start the are much much cheaper than the last attempt.
Yep, and they're not made here either. All Ford Australia does is import it, so as long as the US keep making Mustangs, we'll get them.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #10
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:

I agree Aussies haven’t been big supporters of coupes over the years and they could quickly fade like the others and history may eventually prove you right.

In fact I've said the same thing many times in other posts.

The only difference this time around is the coupe won’t have the more family practical affordable V8 sedans to compete with and entice buyers away.

Having a friend pull into my driveway the other day in his new V8 convertible I thought to myself one of those would be better than nothing.

It just depends on if enough people in the market can see the sense in one as predominately a second family car.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #11
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

The Mustang so long as the pricing is kept reasonable and the updates frequent enough to keep interest will see out a long happy sales program within Australia, alot of people love V8s here and last I checked it will be the best value for money new car V8 package by a mile unless Chrysler make a move on the Charger and Challenger program.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #12
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

So how many people will buy a Mustang as a family car?
Old 16-01-2016, 01:04 AM   #13
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
Yep, and they're not made here either. All Ford Australia does is import it, so as long as the US keep making Mustangs, we'll get them.
Last time where do you think the cars were made? They were converted to RHD here. I sat in one of the Tickford conversions at the motor show some time ago and the steering column was more exposed than usual, to the point where I pressed the clutch in and hit my knee on it. Never encountered that before and even if I was in the market to buy then, that would have put me right off.

The new one is a real step up in quality, interior, performance and for us at least, comes in much cheaper than the last official offerings. $50k to get in one is a good starting price point for the Ecoboost. There's not much out there that can match it for the price. An AWD hot hatch might match or beat it in performance, but doesn't have the character of the Mustang
Quote:

Considering we can't get enough of them in to keep the waiting list under 12 months, and the RWD performance car rug is being pulled out from underneath us in the form of the Falcon ceasing production, demand for Mustang won't die off soon. In the past we had Falcon V8s selling alongside the limited Mustang numbers. Mustang will be the only RWD performance option for Australia.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.

Last edited by pauljh74; 16-01-2016 at 01:10 AM.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
So how many people will buy a Mustang as a family car?
Really? Thats a silly rhetorical question. BUT..in saying that I see plenty of people with 1-2 kids with 3 door hatch backs...and sports cars. A guy in Brissy used to use his 911 to drop his kid off at Kindy.

Also for me with four kids, I rarely do the drop offs so once in a blue moon I finish work early and pick them up. Only two at school currently which means I can still fit one more for now. Mustang will work for me for another 3-4 years, but in saying that we have another 7 seater for family duties.

So define family, because once all mine hit school technically even a Falcon won't cut it anymore (if the wife is with me aswell).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Hard to say, but the mustang name might give it a bit more desirability than the old monaro, I know which one I would be parking my muscular butt in if I was looking a cool muscle car type coupe.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2016, 12:39 PM   #16
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74 View Post
Considering we can't get enough of them in to keep the waiting list under 12 months, and the RWD performance car rug is being pulled out from underneath us in the form of the Falcon ceasing production, demand for Mustang won't die off soon. In the past we had Falcon V8s selling alongside the limited Mustang numbers. Mustang will be the only RWD performance option for Australia.
You forget the Chrysler 300. FCA is also planning on bringing over the next gen Charger. HSV will still be alive and kicking.

At this point with Holden and Ford pulling out of the affordable V8 sedan market, I can see FCA filling that void with the 300 and the Charger. Sure they have a bad name with Jeep, but Dodge and Chrysler itself are fairly good companies build wise and people will easily get over the Jeep fiasco when there are only 2 affordable falcodore replacements on the market and both come from FCA.

Let's be honest, if FCA fills that market void they can import more 300s and Chargers, drop the prices slightly, increase parts availability and since they're operating globally they can make sustaining those cars viable unlike Ford/Holden.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post