Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 10:01 AM   #61
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

The AU was a great car in every aspect except visually. No matter how good a car is, if it's ugly it will not sell. People will not want to be seen in it.

I did not mind the AU front end, even the Forte'. For the S pack the grille was painted the same as the body colour it looked quite good. The interior was a shocker but after I got my BA I found I preferred the AU instrument panel for position and readability.

The **** end was the critical mistake. Looking at a large cabin with a droopy little bum on it was way wrong. I absolutely detested the rear quarters and the rounded rear window made extra small by the tapering c-pillars. Another effect the rear window arrangement had was creating a blind spot you could hide a herd of elephants in. The AU absolutely had to have a spoiler to bulk up the rear.

The AU ute looked way better, sold heaps and this is what saved Ford's ****.

The ownership experience was an AU1 XR6 HP. Was purchased as a second hand vehicle at 100,000km. Visually the XR was always the pick of the bunch but those poxy multi-spoke 16" rims had to go. Honestly, they'd be about the ugliest wheel Ford have ever put on a car. Excellent handling car and not too shabby in performance. Just loved the way the front end bit the road and the steering was so communicative, you knew exactly what the car was doing. Smooth surface roads it was inspiring but hit a pothole or a train line crossing and it used to crash and bang like an old paddock bomb. The c-pillar blind spot had me cutting off people all the time for a week or two until I got used to it and had to be very presise about positioning my mirrors. Mechanically it was great but the auto lunched itself at 180,000km despite regular servicing and needed a newie, also I thought having to spend plenty of money on it would motivate me to keep it and fight the BA urges that were gripping me.

It didn't work!!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-10-2005, 11:21 AM   #62
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
The AU ute looked way better, sold heaps and this is what saved Ford's ****.
Yep .. even the most plain AU XL tray with steel wheels is still not a bad looking ute. Even my AUII one-tonne with the 4x4 ride height looks good IMHO ..
Old 04-10-2005, 04:02 PM   #63
Steffo
LPG > You

I find it funny that people say the AUII and AUIII were more successful then the AU, despite the fact the original AU sold more then the AUII and AUIII's did...

AU Falcon (Sept 1998 - April 2000) total built: 111,420

AUII Falcon (April 2000 - Nov 2001) total built: 93,250

AUIII Falcon (Nov 2001 - Oct 2002) total built: 31,320

So the AUII/III looked better, yet they didn't manage to sell like the ugly-duckling AU did? Hmmm....
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 04-10-2005, 07:14 PM   #64
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not that I have done any research but I think you will find most of the S1 sales would of been Fleet and Taxi's
S2 would of been the best indication of average joe bloe sales
S3 is the runout (S2 on Steroids) before the BA

Interesting little tidbit is that my "ST" badged AU3 XR6 VCT was ** apparently ** actually a very small quantity of S3's that got the TE rims, and V8/BA bodykit? apparently only 100-200 done up like this?

P.S The original AU sucked. Sorta takes the mistery out of why there is no AV, AW, AX

Last edited by clontarf_x; 04-10-2005 at 07:14 PM. Reason: *apparently*
Old 04-10-2005, 07:33 PM   #65
8pAc
RDP #181

Yeah the st was limited and got the series 2 rebel/series III optional xr8 kit. IMO this kit is way to go as it makes the rear end look bigger and squarer
Camrys like most Toyotas have always been ugly, poorly equiped & brain crushingly dull but that's what a lot of people look for in a car unfortunately. I like my fridge, it keeps my beer cold other people like them so much they want to drive them it seems.
Old 30-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #66
markscottefxr8
drive hot Cars just cause

Default Re: The AU series.

the AU tickford versions still to this day drive like u want a car to drive,, plenty of power, The IRS works a treat coming out of corners.. U feel what its going to do in the seat of your pants,... its a drivers car... way lighter than the BA and those hand built motors love to rev.. A few small bolt ons such, a better cam and a tune. the qquarterhorse is perfect for the t series and xr 8s..

Looking around today when u see a clean AU or a clean VT hands down the AU is miles ahead of that holden boat.. in style and performance.. The AU Xr8 is my favourite car to drive hard.
Old 30-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #67
marty351
Shenanigans..............

9 years, 10 months.
Best threadmine ever?
Old 30-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #68
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Epic thread mine indeed. I read my comments at the top of this page (Page 3) and it still stands, the AU although is a great car is mega fuggly.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Closed Thread