Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #31
westy73

Default Re: My new GT and a rant about Ford !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
Congratulations! I've seen an Octane GT hanging around the Penrith area; it's well looked after and I must admit, Octane has grown on me!

I reckon it's a super choice for the GT-F too!

All the best and your son reminds me of my 4 year old daughter; if I give her a choice, GT or Territory, she takes the GT every time! (Either she's a future revhead or it's because she still has difficulty saying "Territory"!!)
Thanks and yes what is it about the GT that gets them in. I too have a Territory and it is now....Dad can we go in the GT ?? This is where Ford are missing it. The GT is supposed to be Ford's flagship or iconic model in Australia. Mustang means nothing to me at all. But GT man-o-man that means everything !!! Ford really have forgotten about the history and passion that ebbs and flows because if the mighty GT.
Good on your daughter....looks like the blue blood flows elsewhere as well.
westy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #32
westy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused View Post
You must remember that all large cars are on the nose so it's not just Ford's marketing that's been the problem. Holden is giving VFs away, the 380 is dead and the Aurion is selling very poorly. The issue isn't Ford at all, it's the fact that the market just doesn't want large cars any more.
Ok but aren't Rangers selling in numbers ? They are larger than the Falcon last time I looked. So it's not large cars that's the problem it's simply marketing and presenting your products in the best light they can be shown. The Falcon hasn't had decent marketing since the BA falcon was released. Let's face it the only reason this is the case is because Ford OZ has become a simple add-on arm of Ford USA and hence all decision making has been stripped from Ford OZ.
The Falcon would sell in numbers if people were shown in their best light and all their strong points given to discerning buyers. The perception driven by motoring media has spawned this new age of jelly-mould motoring. God help us all.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #33
westy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Good luck to you westy,may you enjoy the GT for many years to come........ im very envious mate .............isn't it a shame so many people will never get to drive one of these big bangers. I suspect it would only take one drive in a GT and many a customer would be hooked........ alas thats the way the cookie crumbles.
Thanks Mik. By the way I have waited for this baby for a long time and I will savour this beast for the rest of my driving days.

You are right I wasn't quite prepared for what this car has on offer. It's weird but now I have it I simply cruise wherever we go and I am in absolutely no hurry.
I might be dreaming but I have noticed a lot of other motorists rage up to the back of me and then don't overtake. Are they checking it out or what ?????
Weird but still if only Ford OZ could get a grip as this car is NOTICED. It's not a taxi but one hell of a motoring package.
Love it. Love it. Love IT !!!!!!
This user likes this post:
Old 16-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #34
westy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2GHIA View Post
Hey AU2GHIA thanks for resizing that image. Looks even better now !!
Old 17-05-2014, 12:35 AM   #35
ZGM86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Huh...I remember when it was the end of the world, the collapse of civilisation, when the last Kingswood was sold and them funny Euro-based thingies with Holden badges started getting sold here...

I also remember the people complaining bitterly when the "little" XD took over from the XC, even though it had as much interior room because of better packaging.

Fords will still be sold here, just one slow-selling unpopular model won't be available any longer.
I believe that Westy already addressed the point that you're trying to make in his original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy73
So when Ford USA decided to ditch the Australian made Falcon with it dies this generational excitement as my kids will now never get to own a Falcon or GT unless it's secondhand. It's all about the history that is tied in with this car and is the reason this car resonates such passion in me. An American, or Thai or South African import cannot compete with that as Falcon is an ingrained Australian born and bred car that has the runs on the board but simply lacks the imagination from the makers to recreate this same wonderment for future generations.
That's the exact same reason that the Falcon does it for me as well.
1978 TE Cortina GL wagon
1955 FJ Holden Special

Car History: 1974 ZG Fairlane 500, 1973 ZG Fairlane 500, 07 SY Territory TX, 1975 Ford F100, 2001 AU2 Falcon XR8 220, 2005 BA RTV, 1997 EL Falcon XR6, 1981 WB Holden pano, 1990 DA LTD, 1992 EB Falcon GLi wagon, 1984 XF Falcon GL wagon, 1976 TD Cortina XL wagon, 1974 TC Cortina XL sedan
ZGM86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2014, 04:39 AM   #36
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Ford Motor Company is a global entity struggling to survive in an extremely competitive global market. Ford Motor Company has jettisoned everything "Ford USA" aside from the Mustang and F Series. The former Ford of Europe has dictated product decisions for about a decade (even though the European market is in horrible shape at the moment).
Old 17-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #37
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy73 View Post
We are being force fed imports and marketing of those products far exceeds anything local.
Firstly, Congrats on taking delivery of you new GT. You have done what I really admire which is someone putting their money into what remains of Australian manufacturing. Well done!! Cracker of a car.

I wanted to highlight your quote (above) as it is incorrect. Consumers don't get force fed into cars. I first started selling cars in the 90's. Back then, consumers thought the norm was to buy a falcon or a commodore and if you dared to buy something different, you bought a magna. They weren't force fed those cars, they just didn't have many other options back then. Ever since Australia got to become a million car a year country that was intent on reducing tariffs on imported cars, the writing was on the wall. Fast forward to now and people aren't being force fed cars. We just buy what suits us at a damn good price cause the competitive nature of dealers in Australia allows for that to happen. Just evolution I suppose.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #38
monte.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused View Post
You must remember that all large cars are on the nose so it's not just Ford's marketing that's been the problem. Holden is giving VFs away, the 380 is dead and the Aurion is selling very poorly. The issue isn't Ford at all, it's the fact that the market just doesn't want large cars any more.
If large cars are on the nose how come the big land barges are selling so well ,like toyoto and patrols and all the rest of the horrible 4x4 things ,even on the gold coast they are everywhere ,its like a badge of honor ,i think ford was closed because the yanks want to sell world cars that are all the same and will be made in china or india shortly .its all about the money ,nothing else
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #39
XBGTFGGTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte.b View Post
If large cars are on the nose how come the big land barges are selling so well ,like toyoto and patrols and all the rest of the horrible 4x4 things ,even on the gold coast they are everywhere ,its like a badge of honor ,i think ford was closed because the yanks want to sell world cars that are all the same and will be made in china or india shortly .its all about the money ,nothing else
Quite simple, those barges are more versatile than a 4 door sedan. At the end of the day the market has changed and people want different things from cars now

XA GT Manual
XBGT Manual
XC GXL
1982 XE S-Pac V8
2011 F6 Velvet
2011 GT Manual Black/Gold
2020 GT500KR
FG-X Sprint
F150 Shelby
XBGTFGGTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2014, 04:09 AM   #40
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok but aren't Rangers selling in numbers ? They are larger than the Falcon last time I looked.
Because the Ranger can go where the Falcon can't. Large four door sedans are the market that's shrinking, not large cars in general.

Quote:
The Falcon would sell in numbers if people were shown in their best light and all their strong points given to discerning buyers.
I think that's wishful thinking at best.

Recently I looked back at an older issue of Wheels - can't remember which, but it covered the launch of the AU Falcon, which was the new Falcon that almost didn't happen. Even in its heyday when Falcon was the number 1 selling car in Australia, the Falcon didn't sell in large enough numbers to have a significant impact on the overall global market, but was, however, "simply too significant to ignore" (or words to that effect).

Now that the numbers have dwindled to even more insignificant levels, I don't think anybody can make a business case for them anymore. Even if Falcon were to sell in greater numbers than they do today, it's highly unlikely - in fact, nigh on impossible - that it will sell as many FHs as they did the EF/EL. They'd be lucky to get within a tenth of that.

Advertising isn't going to change any of that. I think we're deluding ourselves if we think that it will. The return on investment into advertising just isn't there.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #41
Phyber
BF= Backend's Farked

The large sedans that people do buy are the Euros, they can afford the perceived petrol costs to own a full size comfort cruising car, with all the fruit. Looks better to your friends than driving a hatch!

I see plenty of large Mercs and BMWs about.

-------------------------------------------
BFII XR6T - ZF box
Racewars 2017 result - 800m @ 229km/h - 1000m @ 241km/h
PB: 317rwkw - 11.94 @ 120mph - 2.093 60'
PB: Stock/208rwkw - 13.594 @ 105mph - 2.297 60'
-------------------------------------------
Phyber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #42
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyber View Post
The large sedans that people do buy are the Euros,

I see plenty of large Mercs and BMWs about.
Me too. Most are 2.0 diesels though
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #43
westy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBGTFGGTP View Post
Quite simple, those barges are more versatile than a 4 door sedan. At the end of the day the market has changed and people want different things from cars now
Yeh but are they ? How many of these 'versatile' vehicles actually go where they are meant to go ? Do any of them actually leave the bitumen ?
If not then why do they actually have them if not for the fact they perceive them ? Do they think they are safer perhaps ?? Not sure if the market has actually changed at all but that people's perceptions have changed in an illogical manner.
Old 19-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #44
westy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Because the Ranger can go where the Falcon can't. Large four door sedans are the market that's shrinking, not large cars in general.

I think that's wishful thinking at best.

Recently I looked back at an older issue of Wheels - can't remember which, but it covered the launch of the AU Falcon, which was the new Falcon that almost didn't happen. Even in its heyday when Falcon was the number 1 selling car in Australia, the Falcon didn't sell in large enough numbers to have a significant impact on the overall global market, but was, however, "simply too significant to ignore" (or words to that effect).

Now that the numbers have dwindled to even more insignificant levels, I don't think anybody can make a business case for them anymore. Even if Falcon were to sell in greater numbers than they do today, it's highly unlikely - in fact, nigh on impossible - that it will sell as many FHs as they did the EF/EL. They'd be lucky to get within a tenth of that.

Advertising isn't going to change any of that. I think we're deluding ourselves if we think that it will. The return on investment into advertising just isn't there.
IF the Ranger can go so many other places why don't they actually seem to go there ? I think it's more a case of people think bigger is better. A type of look at me scenario. I am up so high in my big shiny Ranger.....look at me.
I mean it can't be for the technological advancement of drum brakes in the rear. I guess if Falcon could have something like that it may make them seem newer.
Old 19-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #45
westy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Firstly, Congrats on taking delivery of you new GT. You have done what I really admire which is someone putting their money into what remains of Australian manufacturing. Well done!! Cracker of a car.

I wanted to highlight your quote (above) as it is incorrect. Consumers don't get force fed into cars. I first started selling cars in the 90's. Back then, consumers thought the norm was to buy a falcon or a commodore and if you dared to buy something different, you bought a magna. They weren't force fed those cars, they just didn't have many other options back then. Ever since Australia got to become a million car a year country that was intent on reducing tariffs on imported cars, the writing was on the wall. Fast forward to now and people aren't being force fed cars. We just buy what suits us at a damn good price cause the competitive nature of dealers in Australia allows for that to happen. Just evolution I suppose.
Thanks Gadgetman it is a great car. Love it.

However I still do feel we get force fed smaller cars and imports for the exact reasons you highlighted. Our protections for our own manufacturing were dismantled. This is not unreasonable to expect we should be able to make things I believe. Sure import stuff but that should be at a premium. No other markets allow our imports to slip straight in untaxed. So it is simplistic to think people have more choice because they wanted it. It's more a case of governments have a larger agenda we can't quite comprehend and the less smarter and less patriotic we are as a nation the better.