Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #31
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Re: History of the Auto transmission

My old man had a P6 Town Car back in 79 and my 47yr old failing memory is telling me it had a C6 trans in it and not the usual FMX. I could be wrong about this but I was the one who always wound up digging through the service manual when ever anything went amiss and trying to figure out what the problem was cos he was hopeless when it came to cars. He just wanted to be able to hop in it and drive and if it stopped he'd get someone else to sort it out.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #32
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
BTR stopped making the 4 speeds when the BAs came out...

It was some other mob...IOS...ION? Something like that.
Same factory in Wodonga I think, name change only.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickxr8
Interesting, knew there was a 2 sp variant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruise-O-Matic

but didn`t think they made it into aussie cars ?, our 59 fairlane had the 3 sp ( us import though )
The original two speeder came in two variants, the MX and FX, the lighter FX was used in early falcon,
Ford then added stronger MX internals and an extra gear calling it FMX...
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
My old man had a P6 Town Car back in 79 and my 47yr old failing memory is telling me it had a C6 trans in it and not the usual FMX. I could be wrong about this but I was the one who always wound up digging through the service manual when ever anything went amiss and trying to figure out what the problem was cos he was hopeless when it came to cars. He just wanted to be able to hop in it and drive and if it stopped he'd get someone else to sort it out.

Bushbasher
The only australian built Ford that i'm aware of fitted with a C6 was the Bill Bourke special, but that was fitted in Detroit.

I don't think any aussie Fords had a C6, usually either C4 or FMX for V8's.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #35
BGBLOK

So, an original XY Falcon 500 column auto 250 six would have a what behind it??.. BW35 or C4?.
I'm about to buy one and that is the only thing I didn't check.
BGBLOK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBLOK View Post
So, an original XY Falcon 500 column auto 250 six would have a what behind it??.. BW35 or C4?.
I'd take a a confident punt and say bw35 for 6 and c4 for v8 , my 67 XR 289 had a c4 (cruisomatic)in it .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #37
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I'd take a a confident punt and say bw35 for 6 and c4 for v8 , my 67 XR 289 had a c4 (cruisomatic)in it .
Back in the early eighties, a mate purchased a XA Fairmont, 250, C4 column auto.
My old man was a mechanic at the local Ford dealer and checked this out through the compliance ID plate, and he said at the time, that was a rare set up.
I think the obvious sign that led us to check out what auto was in it, was it had something to do with a kick down cable set up, vacuum hose there or not there, hard to remember.

Last edited by 4stanger; 24-12-2013 at 02:04 PM.
4stanger is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #38
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our XC-Update Fairmont GXL with the iron head 4.1 x-flow had a C4 fitted from the factory.

Autos have indeed come an awful long way...not that many years ago having an auto optioned in your car guaranteed lack of power and bad fuel economy, but not anymore, as modern smart autos allow the engine to operate in it's most efficient zone at all times.
4x4's are another area of amazing advancement...it used to be a case of a fourbie with an auto was a "What, are you crazy?" concept, and people with one fitted were laughed at. Now they're just about the gearbox of choice with modern 4x4's. Our Triton GLX-R has a five speed auto with shift-on-the-fly low range case. It's amazing off road, as was our Landcruiser 100 series GXL some years ago. You just concentrate on steering and let the box make up it's mind most of the time.
On the highway it just lopes along getting 10ltr/100 or less, quietly and efficiently. Best of both worlds.

How about "lock up torque converters"...? Haven't heard too much about them these days. They were all the rage some years back.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #39
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The original two speeder came in two variants, the MX and FX, the lighter FX was used in early falcon,
Ford then added stronger MX internals and an extra gear calling it FMX...
Yep .. The FMX is a derivative of the BW M12 .. As used in AMCs, Studebakers and the like. You can interchange a lot of parts (thankfully for us AMC and Studebaker owners)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #40
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by frvellm1 View Post
I could be wrong but thought the BW35 was introduced in the XP. First seen in the Fairmont if I recall.
The standard auto XP sedans and wagons fitted with the 170 engine were fitted with the 2 speed Fordomatic.
Auto deluxe sedans, wagons, Hardtops, Futuras , squire wagons, and Fairmonts with the 170 or 200 motor were fitted with the BW35 auto which was called the Fordomatic 3S

The 144 was no longer available with an auto in an XP
the 200 was not available with a manual

The BW 35 was also fitted to other cars in Aust. at the time, the Austin Freeway 6 and the Hillman Minx come to mind

Last edited by Olbucko; 24-12-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 03:37 AM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Our XC-Update Fairmont GXL with the iron head 4.1 x-flow had a C4 fitted from the factory.

Autos have indeed come an awful long way...not that many years ago having an auto optioned in your car guaranteed lack of power and bad fuel economy, but not anymore, as modern smart autos allow the engine to operate in it's most efficient zone at all times.
4x4's are another area of amazing advancement...it used to be a case of a fourbie with an auto was a "What, are you crazy?" concept, and people with one fitted were laughed at. Now they're just about the gearbox of choice with modern 4x4's. Our Triton GLX-R has a five speed auto with shift-on-the-fly low range case. It's amazing off road, as was our Landcruiser 100 series GXL some years ago. You just concentrate on steering and let the box make up it's mind most of the time.
On the highway it just lopes along getting 10ltr/100 or less, quietly and efficiently. Best of both worlds.

How about "lock up torque converters"...? Haven't heard too much about them these days. They were all the rage some years back.
indeed they used to mix and match the autos in those xc era days, one of the good ford things being able to swap different autos with a bell housing, I saw a p6 ltd with a c4, although it may have been a c10? they look the same from underneath with the small pan, not 100% sure I think c10 is a bit beefier?

indeed the old scrubbers where a tad thirsty with the old gears, my old 76 patrol iirc being driven with respect went about 8 to 12 mpg ..... no syncro on 1st 3 hi/lo on the floor ......4.1 diff, frigging unstoppable in the bush, like watching paint dry on the highway .
Old 26-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #42
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
Yep .. The FMX is a derivative of the BW M12 .. As used in AMCs, Studebakers and the like. You can interchange a lot of parts (thankfully for us AMC and Studebaker owners)
in my apprentice days we used to do a lot of fmx changes, we had the police contract, coppers where very hard on cars, xc police cars had a change over fmx every 40 thousand k's whether they needed it or not.
Old 26-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #43
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Xp falcons had BW35 transmissions.Some early 289 XRs also had them before they changed to C4.The BW 40 basically the same trans continued until 1992 in XF utes and panel vans.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

The new age gearboxes lock up the torque convertor in every gear now i'm sure. I know the ZF's do.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #45
BGBLOK

The owner got back to me.. the shift lever is on the left (passenger side) so C4.. cool.. now, is the 250 bellhousing the same as a Windsor?..

Quote:
Old 05-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #46
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
The owner got back to me.. the shift lever is on the left (passenger side) so C4.. cool.. now, is the 250 bellhousing the same as a Windsor?..
No, you will need to swap bell housings.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #47
BGBLOK

Thanks for the reply.. now starts the hunt for one of those. here we go!..
I'm in Perth if anyone has one.. or a complete V8 Windsor or Clevo box they don't want..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME View Post
No, you will need to swap bell housings.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #48
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you will find the 6 cyl convertor is smaller than the v8.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post