Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #31
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: BP is mulling a $3 billion sell-off of its Australian refineries and petrol stati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL] View Post
yep they just built a massive one on the Geelong ring road that opened a few weeks ago and there is another one being built on the other side of the road as well they both have maccas in there as well
Ye I thought there was new BP's down there I drove to Geelong months ago....

Its funny because thers already two Caltexs either side at the Melbourne end?
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #32
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Re: BP is mulling a $3 billion sell-off of its Australian refineries and petrol stati

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Gees o.k.....So they're just using the BP name then.....Do they pay BP rent or something for that?
It's called BP branding. It's in Bp best interest to look like they have market share.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66XR8 View Post
There is every chance Shell will go the same way and sell off a big chunk of there risk, I mean stuff. At the end of the day Australia is so expensive, it's cheaper to get the product from overseas, the overseas tankers have cheaper labour. A lot of Australia's product comes from Singapore and Japan. I totally agree with the smaller footprint even tho it sux
Shell is already well on that path closing down refineries and turning them into bulk terminals.
Just think of locations as bulk storage and whatever capacity increases are needed to
guarantee supply with regular deliveries of product. Kwinana won't be sold for the reasons
Road Warrior said, potential buyers are just not there and no one has deep enough pockets to do it.

BP will keep reviewing the situation as it changes, Eastern infrastructure and service stations is in focus.
Kwinana not so much...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #34
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Shell is already well on that path closing down refineries and turning them into bulk terminals.
Just think of locations as bulk storage and whatever capacity increases are needed to
guarantee supply with regular deliveries of product. Kwinana won't be sold for the reasons
Road Warrior said, potential buyers are just not there and no one has deep enough pockets to do it.

BP will keep reviewing the situation as it changes, Eastern infrastructure and service stations is in focus.
Kwinana not so much...
So, just like Ford/Holden these big fuel companies are offshoring to cut costs.....

Gees wonder how many jobs will be lost???
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #35
Angeldust

So, another industry going.. and with it more skilled jobs.

A fair few people that i now work with have previously held scientific positions at the mentioned refineries. They were anothger option for some of us to make our careers in. While i have never worked mysef for the petroleum industry, it was a vital part of the whole 'scinetific' industry backed jobs/careers.

A lot of these are now gone.

I worry about my own skilled job etc, but what about the next generation? Will they be devout of any (or at least very little) proffesional skilled employment? What jobs are we meant to aspire to? Hairdessers and Lawn mowing franschises?

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #36
66XR8
Big Blocks Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

Kwinana not so much...
I mean a bigger chunk than all ready for sale, royal Dutch Shell want to off load billions of dollars of assets. The refineries are a start, they realized with Clyde that it worked better as a import facility than what it was.
66XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post