Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default boot leak

my au xr6 boot lid fills up with water behind the number plate and when u open the boot it drips on the carpet its not a great deal but annoying.the boot lid is sealing on the rubber,spoiler is sealed and no holes where it can get in.it seemto get in over a period of time when it rains(moderate to heavy)eg overnight.any help would be appreciated thanks

david lee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Re: boot leak

I cant remember my AU but the BA and FG have two rubber grommets along the bottom frame of the bootlid which blocks off the drainholes. Have a look along there, remove them and see if that helps. The water is probably coming from the spoiler attachment holes under the spoiler, the soft seals tend not to work too well. I replaced them on my BA with a better rubber seal from Clark Rubber. Also could be from the number plate attachment holes.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
mif73
CNC fixer guy

You see plenty of au sedans with rust on the back of the boot. Prob where the water collects.

Cant remember if its coz they have spoilers or just the garnish or possibly the angle of parking in the rain?
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
EATHSV
Oo---oO

Yeah the wing rubbers are knackered. They get hard with age and allow wather to seep through. Just make some new ones out of thin rubber mat using the factory ones as a template. Or pulk off the wing and whack some silicone around the holes.

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
EATHSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EATHSV;4****81
Yeah the wing rubbers are knackered. They get hard with age and allow wather to seep through. Just make some new ones out of thin rubber mat using the factory ones as a template. Or pulk off the wing and whack some silicone around the holes.
i have run silicon around where the riser blocks bolt to the spoiler and around where the light wire goes thru the boot lid.the only place i have not is where the 4 studs bolt to the boot lid i would be surprised if it leaked water around the studs but anythings possible
Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
I cant remember my AU but the BA and FG have two rubber grommets along the bottom frame of the bootlid which blocks off the drainholes. Have a look along there, remove them and see if that helps. The water is probably coming from the spoiler attachment holes under the spoiler, the soft seals tend not to work too well. I replaced them on my BA with a better rubber seal from Clark Rubber. Also could be from the number plate attachment holes.
i hope ur right about the studs just pulled spoiler off and put silicon around the studs and reattached.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Pull off the boot garnish above the number plate and check for leaks there too.

I have noted au sedans without spoilers rusting on the lower edges.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post