Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

Default Weird ignitiony thingo happening

How's it?

After my xr8 and I had a disagreement some weeks ago, yesterday I decided to give Her another chance but it seems she is now punishing me for it...

So the battery was flat as a word we're not allowed to say on here, so I whacked it on the charger which was all good, once that was done I hooked her back up, the Arial cycled like it usually does. Got in the car to kick her over,switched the ignition on the dash lit up but no roar, not even a click from the starter motor. Much annoy! 1 thing I noticed while turning the key, at the point where it should have turned over the digital display where the mileage is usually displayed everything cleared and it showed a 'T'.

WHY????

Is there some sort of fix for this?
Does the 't' stand for your starter motors knackered?
Should I push it off a tall bridge?

Old 17-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Default Re: Weird ignitiony thingo happening

try and turn the key off n on see if that fixes it, when i disconnect the battery on the ghia turn the key to almost on i get fair where you would get t, that means the KAMS have been cleared you should be ok just try that. fair means fairmont i'm guessing t for tickford i could be wrong.

cheers dean
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Have you tried another battery?...........Your freshly charged battery maybe showing good voltage but could be failing when put under load, pinch the one out of the BA and see what happens?
With 3.9 Gears:.......12.40@112.5mph, still trying!
Tune by XFT
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Smartlock may have got confused. Pull the Centre Internal Courtesy Light Fuse. If it turns over then without the fuse (it won't actually start with out the fuse) turn off then replace the fuse and try again.
Old 17-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

Gonna spit chips if it's the battery, it's a red top and it's not even a year old... :( will check fuses and whatnot also. Also tried starting in neutral, to check it wasn't the selector playing up which ive heard is pretty common.

Another thing I have noticed is you don't hear the IRS or fuel pump before attempting to turn it over like before which is pointing towards the battery again.

I havnt got the ute here at the moment it's in storage while the house is being built, so I'm kinda buggered there.
Old 18-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

Tried jumping it, no bingo... Ffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Old 18-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

I do not believe that it is the battery. If you are not even getting a fuel pump at ignition on, it is showing the same symptoms as mine when my QH was loosing the tune. With no tune loaded, you will get the symptoms as you describe.

Are you running a Quarterhorse? If I remember correctly, your SC was done by Streetbuilt and they tend to use a QH tuned by Chad. You could remove the QH to prove it, as it should at least turn over and start on the stock tune. Of course, I would not run it with a SC on the stock tune.

If this is the case, yours will be the third QH in 6 weeks that I am aware of that has had the battery gone flat, causing your very symptoms. Mine and Sprint347's have had the same problem.

You can reload the tune and it will work fine, it just won't keep the tune.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

Hmmm that sounds quite probable, problem there if that's the case is the streetbuilt guys are an hour and a half from my place :(

Well if so In a way I'm glad, could be a lot worse... Will have a chat to the boys this week
This user likes this post:
Old 18-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Best part, is that the QH has a lifetime warranty through moates.net.

Worst part - it takes almost a month in turnaround when you RMA a QH. J3 chips can hold the same tune as your QH, so maybe Streetbuilt have one that you can 'borrow' whilst you wait for your RMA.

Good luck with it.
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 18-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Iv had this exact problem a few times!
If you let the battery go flat enough it will cause the T to appear on the dash and the car will not start.
Turn the key to acc. and leave it for approx 40 seconds. Turn the key off and then try and start it. It should fire up after this. Try longer than 40 seconds if it doesn't work.
I read this somewhere else on the forums, unfortuently I can't remember where.
Hopefully this works for you as it worked for me!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

I also went through all the trouble shooting like new battery, removed the starter motor to check that etc etc.
But it was as simple as my previous post!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #12
CFOUR
The Destroyer

sounds like your bem is dead/dying.
Old 19-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #13
Gaz
Got Ghia?

I believe the 't' is for tickford clusters (after battery is removed). Fairmonts say 'fair' etc.

Check your smart shield light isn't staying on.
Old 19-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
I believe the 't' is for tickford clusters (after battery is removed). Fairmonts say 'fair' etc.
It is. My old utes both did this sometimes after disconnecting the battery. Quite simple, start it up so it says 'T' then key back, key out and try again. Should go after that.
Old 19-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Nice story guys regarding Fair and T, but it has nothiing to do with the experience MGGT has now. We can all disconnect our batteries - get the Fair or T, but I bet your cars will start after that.

The key here is the no fuel pump with ignition on. The EEC controls the starting of the fuel pump. So given MGGT has a QH, the car has had a flat battery for a while, I will bet my left one on a flat QH battery.

I have learnt this the hard and long way.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

3 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #16
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

Yeh I tried it anyway, no response.

Cheers for the input guys, greatly appreciated, shame it seems it's not an easy fix (for me anyway...) although once its sorted itll be another excuse for me to drive it more often :P