Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
rmak
Starter Motor

Default Ford Mondeo jerks when accelerating

Hi Guys,
I bought used 2010 Ford Mondeo MB Petrol a few weeks ago. Car has done 27000Kms and still under factory warranty. Since first day I started to experience strange problem. Whenever I push accelerator right after braking, car jerks forward once. I drive in auto mode (D). It usually happens at roundabouts or road bumps. And it happens only if time between braking and accelerating is short (probably less than 2 seconds). If I wait long enough before accelerating it goes smoothly. I am not a race driver; it happens if I press pedals gently. The critical point is time between stop and start. Example: I drive 50kmph, 30 meters before roundabout I push brake gently until complete stop or nearly complete stop, I remove my foot from brake and press accelerator gently – car starts to go and jerks forward once. After the jerk its back to smooth sailing again

Do you think there is something wrong with transmission? It gets really annoying because I need to think about it every time I approach roundabout.

Is it hard to deal with Ford when it comes to warranty repairs?
Can you recommend any good Ford dealerships in Melbourne?

Thanks!

rmak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
mas89

Default Re: Ford Mondeo jerks when accelerating

It may not be the gearbox,, it half sounds like fuel or spark but hard to say ..does it do it when you put you foot down without slowing down..eg if you sit on 40 and then put you foot down.
Old 18-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
rmak
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas89 View Post
..does it do it when you put you foot down without slowing down..eg if you sit on 40 and then put you foot down.
No, it only happens after slowing down to a complete stop or nearly complete stop. If I wait 2 seconds or more before pressing accelerator, it goes OK.
rmak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
b2428

My MA tdci is suffering from a similar problem but only if I use it manually (almost always) for a while before driving it in D. I was told to disconnect the battery and reset the computer has it has possibly learnt that I like to drive it hard in a gear higher then what it would normally be using in D. I was told by the local Ford dealer that it won't hurt the gearbox to drive like this. I was told to try this and if this doesnt solve it to get the transmission serviced see if this fixes it. Mine is an 08 model with 50000kms. Possibly similar with yours that it has for some reason learnt to be aggressive on the last down change before taking off again???
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2428 View Post
My MA tdci is suffering from a similar problem but only if I use it manually (almost always) for a while before driving it in D. I was told to disconnect the battery and reset the computer has it has possibly learnt that I like to drive it hard in a gear higher then what it would normally be using in D.
Disconnecting the battery is not a good idea since it upsets the whole controller. Just ask the service guys to reset it for you if necessary. Having suffered a faulty battery I had to have the car picked up and taken to Ford.

I noticed also that going back to auto from sequential takes a few up down changes for the car to settle again in auto. I had an MA previously and now have a MC which behaves pretty much the same. I drive short trips to work in the cold and so I use sequential to keep the revs up to warm the engine as much as possible prior to parking. I didn't do this for the end of last winter and I had an oil change indicator come up. Ford said it is because the oil doesn't heat up enough to evaporate any absorbed water on short runs which deteriorates the oil.

One thing that does smooth out the engine performance is the fuel used. I am in Germany at the moment and they have a higher performance (price) diesel which is recommended for turbo engines. Ford recommends ARAL Ultimate diesel. It is easy to feel the difference in the car when running with the different diesel fuels. Unfortunately the don't have the Ultimate everywhere so now and then I have to fill with standard diesel - now I hate standard. Not sure if Australia is going to produce the same diesel any time soon. You can see the difference on this website - the text is German but the graphics are clear http://www.aral.de/aral/sectiongener...tentId=7042018

About to return to Oz for home leave and leave my Mondy sitting for a month. Will be interesting to see how it starts upon return in the coldest part of the year here. The same time in 2012 they had -27 degC!
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I never had this in mine. But when I sold it to my sister in law, she started to develop issues like this.

They took it to a auto trans place who said to sell it as a new gearbox was required. I told my brother to get onto the Euro forum (Talkford.com) and see if anyone there knows about this. Or take it to Ford. He found out that it needed a software update, took it to Ford. Simsalabin, no more issues. And none since.

A lot of the updates get done at services and it could have missed one update, Ford will be able to do it for you..
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post