Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 21-01-2005, 08:48 PM   #1
460cixy
burn out king

Default ignition/key getting hot

i noticed this afternoon that my key was very on on my eb the ignition was also very hot im suspecting its the switch thats ****ed . but its still working. anyone else had this problem and how did ya sort it?
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 12:35 AM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

???

sure the sun wasnt belting down on the key??? heating it up?

doubt the key / ignition barrel would get hot through fault - would fry wiring first
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 12:52 AM   #3
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL - not stolen as in "hot"... does it have the light to illuminate the key hole, and if so, is it permanatly on?
Old 22-01-2005, 11:46 AM   #4
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

Mine usually seems to warm up a little. I'm not sure why, though. It seems quite common, as i've noticed a lot of cars seem to do it.

As wayne said, if it was a wiring issue, i'd suggest the wring would fry first.

Maybe see if you can compare it to some other cars to see if it's normal or not?
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 02:15 AM   #5
460cixy
burn out king

mmm well i thought i would melt shit first too. key seems to get very hot also does the ignition. i would say that the sun could be the issue but the car was parked in the shade and the key in my pocket and returning to the car 1/2 to an hour later the ignition was still very hot beats me.
Old 25-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
galapogos01
eec tweaker

if it were wiring the key would fry first. the switch contacts arent rated for much current, and things like aftermarket head units and other things hooked into ign or acc lines will draw more current than rated.. so id check that out first.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
460cixy
burn out king

well it seems to have stoped. as for head units ect i still have the factory ford wireless but that is a very good point.
Old 27-01-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
lukey039
Just a spectator

Default ALso could be...

Hey guys,

galapogos01 is on the right track and also if the key is between 2 slots ie car is running,starter motor not turning but with most of our cars are getting on and there tens to be a bit of play in the barrel making it possible for the key to move to start without actually starting hitting so now you start alot of resistance thus heat.

Hope this helps.

Cya Lukey.

QLD REP 4 E Series Club.
lukey039 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post