Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 26-01-2005, 12:06 AM   #1
InitialD
Low and Loud

Default Wierd Idle Probs

Ok, As ive now about ready to kick the crap out of my EA I thought id better post this up and see if anyone has thoughts on it.

Recently since the MPFI conversion, ive discovered my car has a wierd random problem. While driving around you go to stop at the lights, and the car drops to 500RPM then stalls, and most times comes back to life after starting it again. You can feel its going todo it as your slowing down, meaning you have to stall it up which is hard while your trying to slow down and EVEN HARDER for dave with is manual EA. Lots of people keep thinking im trying to drag race them and Mr plod didnt seem all to thrilled either. It seems to do it 1/4 times you go to stop.

Now Thanatos (dave) has been having the same problems with his EA aswell since the BBM conversion. We have worked out that practically every sensor has been changed or checked out.

* Cue X-Files theme music *

Ive even changed coil, dizzy cap. leads and plugs.

Im just told that MADNC_8's (wayne) EA wagon use todo the same thing!!

What the heck is it????! seems like its a very common problem
out: :

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :

Last edited by InitialD; 26-01-2005 at 12:07 AM.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 12:09 AM   #2
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

COuld it be just that its an EA.

Interesting, what about the fuel system, i.e pump. Could possibly be something there, i doub it, but you havent coverd that yet. Because of the frequeny of the problem, seems more likely to me.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 12:23 AM   #3
Kryton

does it have anything to do with the weather?
my Xf wont idle for the first 2 minutes each time you start it when the weather is like 30+
if its happening to a few cars at the same time i would consider looking at every possibilty.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 12:26 AM   #4
dozer
Starter Motor

it could be that the isc is either stuffed or you need to relearn the computer, which you do by letting it idle for a bit then do it with the a/c on. try it
dozer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 12:30 AM   #5
InitialD
Low and Loud

Weather makes no difference (Sadly its done it to me in the rain even, whoa one hell of a stall up = burnout)

I have tried 4 Different ISC's, Ive set base idle, even upped the idle by 100rpm

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
Old 26-01-2005, 03:44 AM   #6
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

It's caused by the ghosts of burnt CFI manifolds.
It's kind of a revenge thing for booting it off the car it was supposed to be on & then setting fire to it.
You may kill CFI parts but their souls & problems will haunt you forever.
Change all you like, nothing will FIX CFI EA's ever
(mines ok though)
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 09:36 AM   #7
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
It's caused by the ghosts of burnt CFI manifolds.
Bwahahahahahaha! Nice one!

I should clarify regarding my problems (which appear to be the same as mick's). My car was already MPI and running fine, since i put the BBM on it has been doing what Micks is now doing. I have had 3 different ISC's on (2 KNOWN to be fine as they were from friend's cars), replaced and adjusted and TPS, replaced and cleaned the IAC sensor, Power Steering switch, as well as a shiteload more....

I've spent hours playing with the idle adjustment, and what i've discovered is that (in my case) if the idle adjustment screw is set to hold the revs at exactly 1300rpm, then it won't stall at all. Anything lower than this and it will still randomly stall, anything higher than this and the ISC kicks in. This is how i have been driving around for months now, but obviously it's not really an option for Mick as his car is an auto and wouldn't really like going into gear at 1300rpm :P
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

Sounds alot what mines doing too, but i never got round to finnishing the BBM conversion, i had to put the CFI back on, it doesnt hunt but wants to stall while stopping or just cuts out while driving. but thats just one of many probs im having right now..
1990 EA Series 2 Fairmont, Low Springs and shocks, 17 x 7 Advanti Flash Mags running on Falken rubber :, EL XR8 Sway Bars, NGK Iridium Plugs, New Trip Comp, Pacemaker 4480, 2.5 system 4L ED engine with surecam

Now Sporting - OED666's 202+ RWHP engine!! :dj: fully
EA_Bender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 11:39 AM   #9
InitialD
Low and Loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos
if the idle adjustment screw is set to hold the revs at exactly 1300rpm, then it won't stall at all. Anything lower than this and it will still randomly stall, anything higher than this and the ISC kicks in. This is how i have been driving around for months now, but obviously it's not really an option for Mick as his car is an auto and wouldn't really like going into gear at 1300rpm :P
LMAO got to agree with you there dave.

Old 26-01-2005, 11:46 AM   #10
LUXO_8
windsor user

i'd be interested in finding out a fix, so i can know what i could have done to my EA to fix its idle.....

nah, if i ever get another EA i will put a BBM on it too...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 12:42 PM   #11
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

When we first got the EA, it did exactly that. Not all the time, but as we pulled up to an intersection the revs would die suddenly and we would stall.

Tried a few things here and there (upped idle, reduced idle, etc), and tried to pinpoint any particular time or place or temperature etc that it would do it, but it was so random. Drove us CRAZY.

Then one day it just STOPPED. Haven't had it do it now for nearly 2 years (cue more X Files music).

Never did work it out, we were thinking it was a tiny pinhole in a vacuum in the gas convertor or something. But since you're not on LPG (I'm assuming) it mustn't have been that after all. Now I wonder what it was???

Some weirdass E-series thing? Gee, let's just add it to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 02:07 PM   #12
InitialD
Low and Loud

Well work this out....

Today I noticed if I unplug the Powersteering Switch the revs pick up by 100rpm, after plugging it in, out in out. Then driving today for around 30mins the car didnt do it at all!!

Im lost on what it is. But When you unplug the PS switch is the revs suppose to go up?

Old 26-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #13
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialD
Im lost on what it is. But When you unplug the PS switch is the revs suppose to go up?
probly cause ur takin load off the engine, which would bump up the idle.
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 06:51 PM   #14
InitialD
Low and Loud

Well Im stuped now!!!!

after driving around all day today, the car sits at 750rpm all day perfectly. Goes to do its stalling thing but picks up instantly. Also my average is 13.6???!!!!!!!!! Ive been driving around in traffic all day, and the motor is worn with blowby but How the heck does it get 13.6??????? Maybe its got something todo with the temp today being 34deg

Old 26-01-2005, 07:16 PM   #15
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialD
Well work this out....

Today I noticed if I unplug the Powersteering Switch the revs pick up by 100rpm, after plugging it in, out in out. Then driving today for around 30mins the car didnt do it at all!!

i think u may have a stuffed p/s switch, it may be stuck in normally closed posistion, check its resistance.
ps. i dont actually know if its a normally closed or normally open type switch. i would assume it is a normally open switch though.....
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post