Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fishy auctions on Ebay...

Trawling Ebay seeing what was there, and came across these two very fishy auctions.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Bron...item25658d4d67
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Bron...item45fbdee22b

Methinks someone has seen the internet pictures of people who had been "caught" not reading an auction completely and are trying t catch smeone out themselves in a bidding war.
In one memorable instance, bidding hundreds of dollars on an X-Box 360 box...no XBox, just the empty box it came in. Hidden in the fine print was a note saying "Reminder, this is just for the empty box", but you had to really read it well to see it.

2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
robertjp

Default Re: Fishy auctions on Ebay...

Using Ebay to get interest for the Bronco's without having to deal with Ebay's charges.
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its still fraud and misleading... items reported.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
kenz
BOSS Pilot

theres quite a few wrecking yards that advertise on ebay like that, can't really see a problem with it as it clearly states in big letters that its only for a wheel nut

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its called misleading..... the add contains pictures of the F truck, and a description of the truck.
I can see why they want to circumvent eBays fees, but some bidders may not bother to read it all and think they just bought an F series vehicles.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #6
rochey

good way of wrecking cars, brought a few parts for my patrol of a guy selling like that. still does to, cheap way to advertise
rochey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Sounds like he's got a couple of loose wheel nuts in his head to me, you still need to pay the eBay listing fees regardless of whether or not you sell the item you're advertising.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Sounds like he's got a couple of loose wheel nuts in his head to me, you still need to pay the eBay listing fees regardless of whether or not you sell the item you're advertising.
It costs minimum $8 to advertise a vehicle, or free to advertise parts.

You do not bid on the item, contact details are provided in the ads to contact the vendor for enquiries.
Granted they are noobs with regards to the descriptions and category placement but savvy enough to save $8 while utilising the best (once you get past the unintuitive input framework) advertising medium currently available. Ebay will do bugger all about it.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
Buttnekid
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think it is fraud or misleading at all. It makes it clear at the top of the page and again in big bold letters below that the auction is for a $1.00 or higher offer bolt. It advertises some other stuff the guy has for sale.

The test is an objective one, would a reasonable person see a picture of a car and not read bold writing and think they are buying a car, no, a stupid person yes, but that is not the test.

Breach of Ebay advertising rules - potentially, fraud or misleading - definitely not, innovative - yes
Buttnekid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I've got to go with misleading.

Yes, I can clearly see two entries for an alternate auction for Broncos, but a cursory glance doesn't immediately make it apparent it's an auction for a single bolt.

An auction isn't a place to advertise another auction. It's a place to advertise clearly what it is you are trying to sell.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

I have no problems with ads like that for the most part. I have done similar myself in the past. Though i have been clearer with my description. The trouble with FEEbay, is that the only option is auction, buy it now or classified format. The buy it now and auction format will usually cost you at least 2 bucks an ad, even for a 20 dollar item. Then you pay a final fee if it sells. Then you pay a fee to paypal for the 20 bucks and postage when someone uses that option. So you end up giving FEEbay 25% of your sale. Not only that, if you list 20 items at 2 bucks a pop, and only one sells, then you owe FEEbay around 43 bucks and get 20 in return. Which really sucks, particularly if your stuff is reasonably cheap to begin with. Believe me, i have been stung before. The other alternative with the classified ad will also cost you around 28 bucks. Again, a rip off if no one wants anything. However, these kinds of ads can find your buyers, at which point you can then make a listing for them, pay the appropriate listing fee, and then you don't get stuck spending hours writing ads and paying fees for nothing.
Old 20-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Done heaps of times .... as stated above, good way of advertising cheap and the cars are most probably already sold at no cost to seller and hassle free to the buyer.

If any one gets caught by an add worded like that thinking they are getting a complete car, well it would be their own stupid fault. Number 1 rule on buying? Read the BIG print first and then work your way to the small print.

Totally not misleading. Bit like saying .... "SECOND HAND car for sale" then having a whinge because its not new.!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not misleading at all, add clearly states what you are bidding on in large print. Anyone that thinks they are getting the car is roo stupid to use ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
You obviously do not sell stuff on ebay, the above adds cost about 99 cents to list and there will be no final value fee, if you list the the engine for $1000 it will cost you about $5 or so to list the engine alone, then if it sells ebay will charge a final value fee of about $30 or $40 once the item has sold, and thats before paypal gets involved so a good way to expose the vehicle to people where the potential buyer will contact the seller and ebay misses out on the fees. Poor buggers!

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #14
WMD351
Size it up

The first description says in big red capital letters "PLEASE NOTE!!"
The second one says in the title at the top of the page
Quote:
Ford Bronco XLT F100 Wrecking Parts
400 sales between 'em and no negative feedback.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

The only thing that bugs me about ebay are the titles like..."XA Falcon - Not XM/XP/XR/XT/XW/XY/XB/XC".....thanks Sherlock and thanks for wasting my time!
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #16
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
The only thing that bugs me about ebay are the titles like..."XA Falcon - Not XM/XP/XR/XT/XW/XY/XB/XC".....thanks Sherlock and thanks for wasting my time!
Hahaha those are my favourite, or there's the ones who use "may suit X buyer" on an item worlds apart from what "may suit"

"BA Falcon MkI XT ex-taxi may suit XM/XP/XR/XT/XW/XY/XB/XC/XD/XE/XF/GT buyer"
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #17
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Quote:
That #!%£es me off big time!
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Everyone does it though...

Not FPV, Not HSV lol...

boom!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #19
weairy
Piston Broke

The amount of XD-E-F-G-H etc. you find when you search for XA/B/C on eBay is ridiculous. I've saw one that was like "Not XW/XY/XA/XB/XC/XD/XE/XF BUT IS XG!".
Old 22-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #20
fmc351
let it burn

At least they state 'not FPV' or whatever, I remember looking for XA-C exterior door handles and seeing after market XD-F handles listed for XC. Apparently even the box says it suits XC.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #21
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Methinks someone has seen the internet pictures of people who had been "caught" not reading an auction completely and are trying t catch smeone out themselves in a bidding war.
In one memorable instance, bidding hundreds of dollars on an X-Box 360 box...no XBox, just the empty box it came in. Hidden in the fine print was a note saying "Reminder, this is just for the empty box", but you had to really read it well to see it.
Saw a case on Judge Judy while home sick a few months ago, where someone thought they had bought a cheap mobile phone on ebay, but it was actually a very expensive photo of the phone.
Was quite funny hearing the seller try and justify what she was doing, and Judy ripped her a new one accordingly.

The listings with multiple models in the titles irritate me too. I can see what they're doing, but if I'm interested in parts for a BA, then X series parts aren't any good to me, so it's just wasting time.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
it's just to mesh in with the search strings, so people looking for basically any model will have their listing returned, in a vain hope of selling to someone who clearly doesn't want what they're selling
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 01:03 AM   #23
WMD351
Size it up

Don't forget, however mundane and base model the part is you have to add GT to the description.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 01:48 AM   #24
weairy
Piston Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
Don't forget, however mundane and base model the part is you have to add GT to the description.
couldn't agree more.
Yeah man! This window winder is GT spec! And this XB tail light is definately XY GTHO spec! Read the title!
Old 22-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #25
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yeah annoying as that is,and its gets real annoying

Its also a great way for finding that illusive part for another project

Using the power of the search engine
Works great for the seller and the buyer

Same as checking sellers other items for sale
Always do that as well
Its alot better than , buying the trader,weekend paper
Jumping in the rig,driven for ages,and whats for sale isnt whats advertised
Or that rust free one owner car
Is something even sims metal would reject

Seen a hubcap the other day on evilbay
Advertised as an "XA,XB,XC,GS,GT",something like that

It wasnt for any of them
It was of an old Fordson ute/van,about a 40s model !!!
Seller didnt care , he got like $60 for it
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post