Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #31
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I was a witness to a pretty bad crash two years ago whilst passengering in a friends car with his missus and my missus. The car in question that caused the crash shot across our lane(almost got us) and hit a car in another lane going the other way. I told my mate to perform a U turn so I could administer first aid and also told his gf to call an ambulance. We where at the crash scene within 1minute of it happening and I jumped out the car and assessed which party seemed to be in more trouble. The vehicle at fault was being driven by an Indian couple who where disorientated but physically uninjured. I let my missus look after them. The car they struck was being driven by an elderly couple who where injured.
The drivers door opened as I got there and I could see the old man was hurt, so I calmly asked him to sit very still and asked him to recite the approx time and the days date. This was to check for brain injuries, of which he didn't seem to have any. I then asked if he or his wife had a medical condition, and he told me he had a pacemaker and his wife a replacement hip. I told my gf to relay this info to the ambulance despatch personell so they could be forewarned.
The old man had a small cut above his eye, which was bleeding into his eye and mouth. I gently wiped the blood away with a tissue and repeated to them that they had been involved in a crash and that they where ok but needed to remain calm and that help was on it's way. Once the ambos got there (8 mins) I stepped back and quickly told the officer everything that had occurred and what was wrong with the old couple. I offered to perform traffic control as I am a qualified traffic Marshall and with a vest and torch I am legally aloud to do so. He gave me a vest and his maglight and I directed traffic for a few minutes until a police car arrived and he took over. Once the ambulance had loaded it's passengers the ambo officer thanked me for being calm, controlling the situation and not getting in the way. Likewise the police officer told me it was refreshing to see someone so young being so switched on at a crash scene and actually helping out.
Once everything was cleared up we left and a few weeks later I got a thankyou note from the old couple who where very pleased I had been there and wishes to invite me over for a thankyou lunch sometime. I was pretty flattered and accepted and they where wonderful folk. We could have kept driving but in that situation I think I did the right thing. You can help at a crash scene but you need to know the fine line between help and hindrance!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #32
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
I was a witness to a pretty bad crash two years ago whilst passengering in a friends car with his missus and my missus. The car in question that caused the crash shot across our lane(almost got us) and hit a car in another lane going the other way. I told my mate to perform a U turn so I could administer first aid and also told his gf to call an ambulance. We where at the crash scene within 1minute of it happening and I jumped out the car and assessed which party seemed to be in more trouble. The vehicle at fault was being driven by an Indian couple who where disorientated but physically uninjured. I let my missus look after them. The car they struck was being driven by an elderly couple who where injured.
The drivers door opened as I got there and I could see the old man was hurt, so I calmly asked him to sit very still and asked him to recite the approx time and the days date. This was to check for brain injuries, of which he didn't seem to have any. I then asked if he or his wife had a medical condition, and he told me he had a pacemaker and his wife a replacement hip. I told my gf to relay this info to the ambulance despatch personell so they could be forewarned.
The old man had a small cut above his eye, which was bleeding into his eye and mouth. I gently wiped the blood away with a tissue and repeated to them that they had been involved in a crash and that they where ok but needed to remain calm and that help was on it's way. Once the ambos got there (8 mins) I stepped back and quickly told the officer everything that had occurred and what was wrong with the old couple. I offered to perform traffic control as I am a qualified traffic Marshall and with a vest and torch I am legally aloud to do so. He gave me a vest and his maglight and I directed traffic for a few minutes until a police car arrived and he took over. Once the ambulance had loaded it's passengers the ambo officer thanked me for being calm, controlling the situation and not getting in the way. Likewise the police officer told me it was refreshing to see someone so young being so switched on at a crash scene and actually helping out.
Once everything was cleared up we left and a few weeks later I got a thankyou note from the old couple who where very pleased I had been there and wishes to invite me over for a thankyou lunch sometime. I was pretty flattered and accepted and they where wonderful folk. We could have kept driving but in that situation I think I did the right thing. You can help at a crash scene but you need to know the fine line between help and hindrance!

Well done Iggy, good to see a healthy community spirit at work. It would be nice if there was more of it, could you spread it around for us?

The difference between help and hinderance is pretty easy actually. My suggestion is follow the requests of the emergency services to the letter, if they have a suitable task that you can help with, they will appreciate the help. Sometimes the greatest help comes from stepping back and just being available if something comes up.
Old 22-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #33
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
years ago a couple of young blokes thought it would be fun to follow a lights blazing fire engine.... wee waa.. woo hoo.... it was all fun and exciting until the chase ended in a quiet cul de sac with three other fire engines and a very angry policemans yelling wtf you idiots get the ... out of here NOW..... they never followed a fire engines ever again.....
Pics or it didnt happen !
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #34
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

I noticed a simialar thing a while back, although not quite the same.

I drove past an accident shortly after it happened on a rural road (although quite busy at that time of day), and a car had rolled over, and while plenty of people had stopped to help, around a dozen or more cars, and at least 20 people, 1 or 2 people were genuinly trying to keep the man, who was trapped in the car, calm, the rest were standing around on the side of the road what I can only really describe as Gawking, and nearly causing accidents themselves.

The accident turned out to be a fatality, and I couldn't help but think what a crappy way to go, surrounded by spectators. Im sure most meant well though. :(
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #35
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
Pics or it didnt happen !
it happened.. i know it did.. cos i'm very very bestest mates with the young bloke that was driving............
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2011, 01:04 AM   #36
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
it happened.. i know it did.. cos i'm very very bestest mates with the young bloke that was driving............
Oooops ... and for the record (i believe you)
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post